Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Show me your Production Privee
  • bruceonabike
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a Shan No.5 Tell me why I shouldn’t.

The Superlight will have to go though. N+1 is all well and good but I don’t have space.

kayak23

I’m a dyed in the wool PP hardtail fanboi.

I demoed a PP Shan No.5 at the steel is real demo day a while back but I’ve already got a Cotic Rocket for bouncy duties and the No.5 did nothing better than the Rocket performance or looks-wise, so I have opted to keep the Rocket.

The hardtails though are fantastic. Never ridden anything that comes close to the ride quality of my pp hardtails and I’ve had both the . Shan and the Oka.

My Oka in 26” wheel classic paint mode

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KRSArb]2016-09-02_09-45-34[/url] by blackteaonesugar, on Flickr

My Shan 917

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TKWpny]The Slab, Dalbeattie[/url] by blackteaonesugar, on Flickr

The Shan No.5 I demoed

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CPzBWG]Steel is Real demo day, Forest of Dean, October 2017[/url] by blackteaonesugar, on Flickr

My Oka as it is now in 650b and powder coated a less boring colour.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JVGV5H]POka. December 2018[/url] by blackteaonesugar, on Flickr

Amazing bikes.

jonjones262
    Free Member

I’ve got the Gulf Shan27 ht, best bike I’ve owned!

Also got a Shan no5, love it too. But when I ride the Gulf I think it pees all over this one. Ace bikes!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevemuzzy
    Free Member

View this post on Instagram

Shan, bikepacking.

A post shared by Steven Murray (@steve_muzzy) on

Sorry no number 5 but love my shan to bits, great hardocre.ht and can be versatile, makes a good bikepacking bike!

brads
    Free Member

Test rode a Shan for 2 days a fortnight ago. Loved it, total hooligan of a bike.
    Can’t afford to buy 2 at the mo so had to leave it while I pay for my new Orange but one has to be on my list after trying that one.Awesome bikes.
    Not so keen of the DVO though. Mega harsh top out and seemingly a common issue.

sparkyrhino

sparkyrhino

martymac

Stevemuzzy
    I’m liking your setup there, very neat.

timbog160

Not often I manage to prize mine out of my lads hands!

timbog160

If you’re interested I have a spare 917 frame going, with various parts (PP bars, stem etc). It is a small/ med so supposedly good up to 5’9, although I’m 5’7” and found it a little short for my taste so sized up.

timbog160

And a couple more…

timbog160

Only prob I found on stripping my previous one was the main pivot bearings were shot. I think due to water ingress through the dropper cable hole. But it’s still a fab bike!!

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Thanks for some awesome pics,

@Kayak23
    I especially liked your canal bridge shot! And @Sparkyrhino – you definitely get to ride in the coolest places. 🙂

@Timbog160
    – I do like that Gulf paintjob, though mine will be the more stealth look JPS version, thanks for the offer on your 917 frame but it’s way too small for me I’m afraid as I’ 6’4.

@Stevemuzzy
    – I’ve always fancied bike packing but never got around too it, I’m possibly a bit old now tough :/

I haven’t read anything to put me off yet so probably going to push the button this afternoon, will post pic once it arrives.

spooky_b329

I’m considering buying an Oka. Not 100% what the frame size is. The frame number ends with an M, can any of the fans here confirm if that relates to the frame size? I.e medium? Thanks

spooky_b329

Sneaky bump…

kayak23

Yo. This is my number on my medium sized Oka. 👍

spooky_b329

Thanks, I was just going through some old threads and was considering sending you a PM! I’m 5’11”, reckon a medium would suit?

kayak23

I reckon you might want a large by modern tastes. They’re not the longest bikes out there.

I’m economically built at 5’7″ and my medium is good for me, so I reckon you’d maybe go large.

mrmoofo

You need a large.
    I have an xl Oka , and at 6ft 3, with short legs, I could do with it being longer.

spooky_b329

Thanks guys, seller says its a 17.5″ which he reckons makes it a large. But thats 445mm, and if measured from BB to top of seat tube that would make it a medium going by the size chart.

Mrmoofo, don’t suppose you can see if your frame number has an X or XL on the end? If it does then that would confirm the frame size is on the frame number.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

@martymac. Thanks, that is a dd frontline, dd 3×3 tarp, underblanket and magic carpet. I splurged out after getting some ppi 🙂

Have been using a cheap ebay hammock.and basha for a couple years, plus have a ground dwelling set up with bivvy for when its baltic!

All fits on the bike with room.for beers 🙂

kayak23

Spooky have you tried emailing the guys at PP or messaging them via insta? Damien is a nice bloke and I’m sure they’ll clear it up for you.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B398j7qnsOn/?igshid=1tygnhjtj99xp

martymac

Steve, i have the same setup, minus the magic carpet, but it doesn’t look that neat when i put it up. I guess i need to practice more eh.

timbog160

Mmmm, that Martini paintjob. This thread has seriously got me thinking about a hardtail frame to go with my no 5. Especially as I’ve worked out I’d pretty much only need some decent forks and a headset to finish it!

So did the op pull the trigger?

timbog160

Just for completeness, here’s my small framed one, as opposed to the L/XL shown above. I decided it was too small so wanted to go up a size bit they’d sold out, so had to go 2 sizes. I certainly wouldn’t want to go any bigger but it feels great!

Doormat not mine

bruceonabike
    Free Member

So did the op pull the trigger?

🙂

bruceonabike
    Free Member

No 5

timbog160

Excellent – pics please on arrival!

Edit: just beat me to it! What a beauty.

If you’re feeling a little more introvert they also do a ‘steel is real’ chainstay protector as well now!

bruceonabike
    Free Member

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Working down in London for the next few days so I won’t get to ride it till the weekend, hoping the weather cheers up but can’t wait.

Painey
    Free Member

I do love that bike and the black/gold colour scheme. Always rather fancied one but have been put off by the weight. Are they a classic example of riding lighter than the numbers suggest?

nickc

Loved my Shan, although it did crack in the end. Re sizing, I’m 178cm (5’10”) and the bike’s a large for reference

bruceonabike
    Free Member

I do love that bike and the black/gold colour scheme. Always rather fancied one but have been put off by the weight. Are they a classic example of riding lighter than the numbers suggest?

I’ll let you know

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Production Privee’ is closed to new replies.