Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Show me your outdoor wood fired oven
  • dafoxster
    Free Member

Planning to build one at my new house. Please show me what is possible.

Did you buy it in or build it yourself?

geoffj

tick

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Need to head over to:
    UK Wood Fired Oven forums
    and
    Forno Bravo

Project for me next year after the extension is finished. Want to create a mozaic covered oven with a polished concrete work surface and bbq.

Forno Bravo have build plans, but the builds documented in the forums are very varied. Some are amazing pieces of work.

sandwicheater

Definitely on my to do list.

Clobber
    Free Member

Other than Pizza, what do you guys intend to cook in these ovens. Not joking, genuinely interested as I am ignorant on the subject.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

If you have an insulated door for the oven, and enough thermal mass you can use the heat for several days.

I think the order is generally Pizza, bread, cakes and then slow cook casseroles as the oven cooks. Really quite versatile.

You don’t need a fire going all the time as the oven should retain heat.

There are a couple of designs that people use. Pompeii or barrel vaulted.
    Pompeii are generally better for pizza, barrel for large batches of bread.
    Plenty of info on the links I added in my earlier post ^^^.

I’m on a mission to make Pizza as good as we had on the Amalfi coast.

messiah
    Free Member

I have a book and a plan but have not decided where to build mine yet… I am going to have one though 8)

jp-t853

messiah – Member

I have a book and a plan but have not decided where to build mine yet… I am going to have one though

I’m the same I have a pile of prints from the Forno Bravo website which I have had for two years.

I have been told that I am doing it this winter.

Our neighbough put one in his outhouse and we see the smoke coming out of the chimney every Friday. He cooks his pizza for tea and bread for the weekend.

messiah
    Free Member

jp-t853

I have been told that I am doing it this winter.

Unless I go temporary that will not be happening for me 😥

Perhaps going temporary and building it on wooden table would be a good idea so I can try it in a few places in the garden before choosing where is the best spot to build it!!!

A cunning plan is evolving 8)

spacemonkey

Other than Pizza, what do you guys intend to cook in these ovens.

IIRC Jamie Oliver once slow-cooked an Italian style pork shoulder (garlic, fennel seeds etc) before shredding it pulled pork style. Looked amazing. Building an outdoor wood oven has been on my list ever since.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

messiah,

If you build it with bricks, rather than as a modular kit the oven will weight close to a metric tonne. Not so easy to move around 😳

rendo
    Free Member

I’ve built a clay oven in the past from simply digging out the clay below the soil in the garden and mixing with sand.
    some tips.

Make sure you site it in a good location, i sited mine too close to the house so when firing up i was conscious to not annoy the neighbours with smoke (which meant alot of times not using it when i could). i have a new plan to build it further away.

‘Sharp sand’ at your local building merchant isn’t sharp sand but now tends to be a ‘building sand’, basically its for cement (which i think is what sharp sand was used for in the past). I found when building my first go that this sand has a lot of small pebble type aggregates in it and isn’t fit for this purpose.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Show me your outdoor wood fired oven’ is closed to new replies.