Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Show me your Nicolai Helius CC
  • allthegear
    Free Member

Welcome to the fold, ahsat!!!

Rachel

neninja
    Free Member

Nice one – you’ll love it.

I bought one blind like yourself and was astonished at how much faster it made me on descents but with seemingly no penalty on the way up.

Ambrose

ahsat. Welcome home, it’s good to see you 🙂 Now all you need to do is to spec it out properly. If your knees are a bit iffy perhaps consider Time pedals. Work for me, never going back.

You must post up pics as you build the bike up, it’s the law you know.

soulwood
    Free Member

Ahsat, I bought mine without demo’ing it. Went off all the rave reviews on t’internet and it is the first FS I have owned (and maybe the only one) I wanted the equivalent in the FS world that the Cotic Soul was in the HT world (I couldn’t afford a Hemlock as I would have to splash on new forks) I suppose thats why I get on with the DT shock being firmer, recently coming from a HT and my other bike is rigid.

It was so good that my mtb’ing other half rode it and then bought herself one the following day! Unfortunately she then got pneumonia and is recovering while the frame and new forks are in the loft 🙁 But it will soon be built and we will be Mr & Mrs Nicolai!

ahsat

Cheers all.

Now all you need to do is to spec it out properly.

Most of it will come off the Trek with the new RP23 shock, thomspon seat post and stem, XT set up, Hope brakes, Fox float 130, and possible the cross max from the hardtail. Depends how much I sell the old frame as might get some new wheels. Want to get a Chris King headset (if appropraiate) and really need new handle bars as I cracked the old ones at Whinlatter. Will of course post pictures when it’s done.

If your knees are a bit iffy perhaps consider Time pedals. Work for me, never going back.

Aye, already ride with times – they are very good. Just recovering from a knee fracture while skiing. Slowly working back up to strength now. Gives us time for a proper build.

Must say thanks to Simon at Nicolai UK. He has been fantastic.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Welcome to the fold ahsat – great to have a new recruit!

If you’re after a set of bars I have a pair (why do we call them a pair of handlebars?) of Burgtec Ride Wides that are used but in ‘good’ condition. They are 750mm wide (so most likely you’ll want to cut them down) and 31.8mm clamp. They’ve not been crashed or anything daft, just the usual wear marks etc.

If you’re interested mail me (email is in profile) and I will let you have them on the basis that you make a donation to charity (I’ll explain how that works off line).

richen987
    Free Member

congratulations, they are amazing this bike totally sold me on full sus. enjoy building it and post up some pics when done.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Nice, another Nicolai owner, I’m on my forth, and I have to say they are brilliant.

I, like geetee have an AM and it’s the best bike I own, just two upgrades left then it will be perfect. Strong, light (ish), feels indestructable, fast etc……

Thinking of getting a fifth, something like an argon cc 29er….

Enjoy it.

duntmatter
    Free Member

I bought mine without demo’ing it. Went off all the rave reviews on t’internet and it is the first FS I have owned (and maybe the only one)

Same here. Well chuffed with it.

Looking forward to seeing build pics.

ahsat

If you’re after a set of bars I have a pair (why do we call them a pair of handlebars?) of Burgtec Ride Wides that are used but in ‘good’ condition.

Cheers – I’ll see what we have lying around here and might be in touch.

Just want it to arrive now! 😀 hehe. Must be patient – more physio first!

Does just show the power of the word of mouth. Mag reviews and forums totally change how things are sold.

ahsat

If you’re after a set of bars I have a pair (why do we call them a pair of handlebars?) of Burgtec Ride Wides that are used but in ‘good’ condition.

Cheers – I’ll see what we have lying around here and might be in touch.

Just want it to arrive now! 😀 hehe. Must be patient – more physio first!

Does just show the power of the word of mouth. Mag reviews ad forums totally change how things are sold.

P20

Want to get a Chris King headset (if appropraiate)

Like the one that’s already on the trek? 😆

the_lecht_rocks

[holding my tongue for once]……… 🙂

ahsat

Oh dear. Sorry p20!! I now feel really bad. Thought it was just on the hardtail! Going home with tail between my legs.

Lecth I hear you but if someone very kindly buys you two, you certainly don’t say no 😀

Candodavid
    Free Member

I got the large one that was left!!

Ambrose

Welcome to the family Candodavid 🙂
    You will not be disappointed.

ahsat

Nice one Candodavid. Mine arrives at the in laws tomorrow and I will get it on Friday! Mmmmmm shiny!

TimCotic
    Free Member

Mmmm…lucky ahsat and candodavid!

I ride a Superlight (current shape) with rp23 and 120mm Reba Maxle. I’ve really loved this bike – even more than my previous Cotic Soul (hello soulwood). Alas, however, I made the mistake of trying the Helios CC belonging to my buddie ‘10 Bikes Jeff’. We did 90 minutes round Thetford on our own bikes before lunch, and then swapped bikes for the afternoon. I hate to admit it, but Jeff’s Helios kicked the Superlight’s ass whilst at the same time Jeff was complaining that my Superlight was kicking his ass (he’s such a wimp)!
    Seriously though, I just felt the Helios did everything smoother, faster and with less fuss. I was going faster whilst not having to work as hard. I still really enjoy my Superlight but now I’m on the lookout a nice used Helios. I turned one down about 10 days ago because it was the older geometry, but after reading Simon’s post just now, I see that it would have had the lowered stand-over, even if it didn’t have the latest and longest travel options. Anyway, I loved all your piccies – keep ‘em coming so I can drool.
    Tim (Southampton)

Candodavid
    Free Member

Mojo have no shocks left, 2 weeks till the RP23 arrives.
    Reba maxle lite up front with middleburn duo sq taper.
    Anybody know the correct BB axle length ?

steve_b77
    Free Member

They have a 68mm BB shell and need 2 drive side & 1 non-drive side spacer on a HT2 BB

BTW I have an older geo frame for sale if you’re interested

ahsat

Mojo have no shocks left, 2 weeks till the RP23 arrives.

Merlin have some 2009 shocks at £179. Simon @ Nicolai UK confirmed these were the correct shocks for the medium.
    Clicky

Candodavid
    Free Member

2011 RP23 on order

soulwood
    Free Member

Candodavid, I read recently somewhere in a mag, an interview with an Orange top bod. He was asked about dual chainsets affecting pivot location on FS, something I hadn’t thought about. He replied that his frames were optimised using the current 22/32/44 setup to minimise pedal bob when climbing and using the new dual chainsets would upset this. Might be worth looking into?

ahsat

Its arrived! This is all down to you lot! Thank you – its stunning! I got the 2009 RP23 for £158 with Merlins extra bonus discount! Now thinking red grips and red walled tyres! Bike tart…..!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nice frame, red-walled tyres is a bit Euro OTT IMHO, but hey it’s your frame 😆

Defo a red seat-clamp & Head-Set though 😉

ahsat

red-walled tyres is a bit Euro OTT IMHO, but hey it’s your frame

Not sure if it will actually happen as I prefer to have rubber I am confident in rather than one that just looks bling. We’ll see!

Red headset is a no go I’m afraid – already have a black King! Nice try though 😛

Already looking for red seat post clamp! 😛

neninja
    Free Member

That looks lush

If you need shock bushes/spacers, BETD do heavy duty ones with hula hoop bushes – I got a set for my RP23 from them earlier in the year. Good service, they had to machine them for the correct size for the Helius but I still got them next day.

I’ve got a Fox bush fitting tool if you are down Durham way and want to borrow it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a bolt up Hope one, (if I can find the bolt :oops:)

Red trimmed Nobby Nics wouldn’t be bad 8)

ahsat

That looks lush

Yeah 😀 😀 😀

If you need shock bushes/spacers

Cheers for the heads up – got some from Nicolai UK with the frame.

I’ve got a Fox bush fitting tool if you are down Durham way and want to borrow it.

Thanks very much – very kind. Other half works as a bike mechanic in his spare time so we have access to a whole workshop so I think we will be ok, but thank you for the offer.

Red trimmed Nobby Nics wouldn’t be bad

Good shout as I like those tyres.

Red lizard skin grips and salsa seat post clamp if I can find one at the right size in red! Of to the pub armed with photos on my phone to make my mate jealous!

steve_b77
    Free Member

BTW it’s a 34.9mm seat clamp

Candodavid
    Free Member

Only a tune seatclamp would fit the bill

geetee1972
    Free Member

He replied that his frames were optimised using the current 22/32/44 setup to minimise pedal bob when climbing and using the new dual chainsets would upset this.

Which chainring are they ‘optimised’ in? It can’t be all three.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Down to the final few of these bargain frames now – only 1 large left, and just 2 mediums (one on Silver, one in Black ano). Perfect match for those Merlin shocks if you’re looking to keep the total cost down.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’ll be the 32 with plenty of PP otherwise they bob like a kid on Hallowene 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Nicolai Helius CC’ is closed to new replies.