• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by ads678.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Show me your…mudguards for big tyres
  • shermer75
    Free Member

I’m putting together a bike packing/touring bike. With the muddy season coming up I want to find a way to not jet wash my arse on rides that end with camping out on a cold night. The tyres will be around 2.3″- 2.5″. What solutions do people have? Photos please! 😀

didnthurt

I run mudhuggers on my Stooge, they really help keep me clean. The tyres on my Stooge are 3″ wide so pretty wide and can really throw up the filth when riding off-road.

seriousrikk

For the rear it’s hard to suggest anything other than mudhugger. Does a great job and the way it is structured also gives a degree of protection from mud coming off the side of the tyre

thenorthwind

Mudhugger +1

binman

SKS MudRocker gives better protection than a Mudhugger but is a little more fragile.

https://www.sks-germany.com/produkte/mudrocker-rear/

TheBrick
    Free Member

The best will always be a full length mudguard with stays. There are a few out there that do up to 75mm- 80 mm so 3″or so and even if you were running fatter tyres that will stop the vast vast majority of the mud.

There is the caveat of what your mud is like, chalky clay no go otherwise it’s ok. Also you need to have mechanical aptitude to set then up. I have had full length rear and depending on conditions front on my bike packing / dirt road touring bike for years. Done devils staircase on the whw with them no bother. Massive difference in keeping you and your bike somewhat clean.

If I ever get round to rebuilding the bike I will be going for honjo 78mm guards.

ads678

SKS Mudrocker rear and Crud xl front.

I can’t fit the forward extension for the mudrocker on my bike as the seat stays are in the way, but I might try and mod it at a later date….

rootes1

I am going to go for these on my new adventure bike (will have 29×2.6):

BLUEMELS STYLE 28″ 75 SET – SKS GERMANY (sks-germany.com)

Will cover 29×3″

SKS also did these which are similar but discontinued, and are less ‘full’ than than the Blumels:

SKS Bluemels 75 U Long Mudguard Set (sjscycles.co.uk)

Previously I used these lovely but very heavy Pletcher aluminum guards, here with 29×2.8 vee speedsters – no longer own the Jones.

View post on imgur.com

did need a flap on the front…

squirrelking
    Free Member

@rootes1 (Danny?) those Bluemel Style guards go down to 27.5, I need 26, do you have a suitable wheel to compare with when you get them? Planning on running 2.3’s so hoping they aren’t overly massive.

Edit: did a bit of digging on SJS, they still do suitably sized 26″ options.

rootes1

HI SquirrelKing,

(no not a Danny!) but for 26″ lots of choice, though 27.5 can be made to fit a smaller wheel / and / or to get more clearance.

from previous experience SKS do underestimate how wide a tyre you can get under their models, though if you live anywhere with claggy mud then can be an issue.

zefal do these very cheap, which might work for you, and you can always add a stay to the front one:
    https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/zefal-trail-65-set-p22531 £10!

Fawkes has these 26x65mm on offer, should work:
    https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/sks-chromoplastics-26-inch-mudguards-65mm-wide-black-p29835 – might have the bed the stays etc out a little.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m tempted by Bluemels, but I’ve had bad experiences before of full length mudguards getting clogged up with mud

TheBrick
    Free Member

Yeah it depends a lot on your localmud. Clay is the worst possibly close followed by chalk

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks! I love the look of those Honjo ‘guards…

ads678

Didn’t like the look of the guards I had, so moved the mudrocker and crud XL to the full susser and fitted some SKS veloflexx 65. Much nicer I think.

shermer75
    Free Member

I see what you mean! They look great. Let us know how you get on! It’ll be good to know if they shed the mud well and how quiet they are

legometeorology
    Free Member

damn @ads678, that’s a great full-length guard solution for a carbon fork, exactly what I’ve been looking to do

BigEls
    Free Member

Great Ads, are they the 29er SKS veloflex 65?
    What size tyres are you running on 650b rims?
    Did you have to grind any of the mudguard to fit well?

Looks spot on!

ads678

Saw your DM BigEls so though I’d answer your questions on here.

They are the 29er versions but I think you can get 27.5 versions. I’m running 2.4″ front and 2.25″ rear both Ardents, just cos they were fairly cheap and I wanted tan wall! They’re pretty wide so not sure about fitting on a diverge. I had some sks speed rockers on my London Road before this and they were really good running 40mm tyres.

They’ve been good in the wet muddy conditions, both front and back give good coverage. The rear is quite close to the tyre and does rub slightly on rough/rocky ground and chatter a bit but that’s because of the frame design. If you have a seat stay bridge it’ll secure better. I’ve got a plan to stiffen that bit up with an old spoke…..

The bridge that I’ve used on the front would also work well for a bridgeless rear end as well. It’s just cotics wishbone design that makes it difficult to fix. The bridge is also available separately for a tenner if you need a spare or need 2.

I’m really pleased with them though and would recommend.

ads678

Oh, and no didn’t have to trim any out to make them fit.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I have some diy front and rear mud guards made from old muc off bottles…they do OK but the mucky nutz gut fender is the real mud catcher…works great on my fatty
    mud guards

BigEls
    Free Member

Thanks Ads. Appreciate the reply.

What Cotic model have you got there and is it running 650b with chunky tyres or full 29er hoops? Just had a quick look on the Cotic website. Lovely bikes. I assume, it’s 650b with big tyres?

ads678

@BigEls

Its a Cascade with 29er wheels. Loads of clearance for decent size tyres. Rides lovely. I’ve built up some new lighter wheel recently as well so it’s event nicer now. Want to change the Ultegra rear mech and 105 shifters to GRX 8whatevers, but will have to wait til I can afford it….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.