Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Show me your Mini Velos…
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

I have got a bit obsessed with this:

null

TheRadavist

Also this:

null

More Radavist

Not commonly made or used in the West, but apparently pretty common in Japan (you see some here in Hong Kong).

Now Velo-Orange made the Neutrino (which is sold out) Velo Orange Neutrino

null

Seems Cannondale haven’t made a Hooligan recently.

null
    Anyone got anything similar? Any makers I ought to be perving over? Pictures?

Thanking you. 🙂

kerley
    Free Member

I have always wanted one but know it would make no sense. Your second picture is exactly what I would want (maybe with slightly narrower tyres)

There are not many readily available though last time I looked (around 6 months ago).

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Once owned an extremely compact bike named the ‘Daewoo Shuttle’. An abomination of bicycle in every way except for I could hoik it into car boots on a whim. Very handy while walking/driving-impaired. But it rode (and looked) like a clown bike. Would much have preferred that Falconer up there. Lush.

OP check out the ‘beardy rando’ from Sven Cycles. Hydraulic and frame couplers. And the massive frame-bag makes full use of the freakishly-long head-tube.

https://www.cycleexif.com/sven-cycles-mini-velo

TiRed

I cut my mtb teeth on an Airnimal Rhino. Not quite a fixed frame but 20” wheels and full suspension. It was fine. Rode Swinley many times. Of course bigger wheels rolled better but wheels were not the limiting factor when I rode it! It was pretty heavy and I seldom folded it. Sadly it was stolen and I didn’t replace it.

Others available. Mercier mini bike?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/nano.htm

MarkyG82

29er rigid frameset with 20″ wheels? Aside from the crazy low BB what else would be a showstopper?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

‘full size’ option bottom left. Go on…

epicyclo

Mini-Velos are brilliant. Not your mum’s shopping bike by a long shot.

I’ve had quite a few. Lightning responses to steering inputs, loads of fun.

I’ve been culling my bikes, so I’m down to my last one – a Dahon Hammerhead. (Same as on page 168 of Cyclepedia Iconic Bicycle Designs except mine has Rolf wheels which weigh nothing)

Perfect bike for leaving in the car boot in case you feel like a spin sometime. I’ve done a few centuries on mine, but it’s more fun doing hooligan rides. 🙂

But the cull continues and it will be on eBay in Feb.

TiRed

Eccentric BB or golden ratio? I assume it’s fixed?

And normally the BB is raised to a normal height. The issue is RD strikes.

finishthat
    Free Member

I have a Dahon Hammerhead 7.0 , same as epicyclo but with TT style bars and Kinetix wheels , 8 speed double on mine – there are quite a few reviews online .

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Shame those 2018 Sundeal V1s seem to sell out quickly. Seems they were about £200 quid in a big sale, not seen since? They’ve been customised by riders to all manner of mini, including MTB!

I could see something like this being popular again as spares bin projects. Anyone know if the V1 resurfaced?

Link to pic

mick_r

I’ve got one on my “to do” framebuilding list. Another local builder made one but I believe it has rather evil handling.

http://noviceframebuilder.co.uk/projects/past-projects/20-inch-wheel-frame-for-loopwheels-sturmey-archer-3-speed

I’m planning to make a gash adjustable frame (plywood front end) so I can experiment with head angle / fork offset before committing to the proper frame.

CraigW
    Free Member

The Orbea Katu looks like fun. Hub gears, disc brakes, and a handy basket.

ratherbeintobago

I thought the Neutrino looked ace, but no way I’d get one past the s-1 police.

loughor
    Free Member

JR
    Check out 28bike.com they pop up regularly second hand 😜
    JM

epicyclo

TiRed
    Eccentric BB or golden ratio? I assume it’s fixed?

And normally the BB is raised to a normal height. The issue is RD strikes.

Golden or Magic Ratio, singlespeed.

No problem with RD strikes, it came off the bike before it went on the road and sits safely in a cardboard box. 🙂

@finishthat
    any pics?

mick_r

These look interesting….

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ compact cargo-bike with a basket-formed frame? Genius. Genius. Love it.

finishthat
    Free Member

@epicyclo sorry don`t have any its buried in the shed , looks just like an very lightly used ano blue Hammerhead 7.0 from 2006 , with Kojacks instead of the very thin tyres originally on it. (105, kinetix cow horns, SDG etc) it could do with a new home really as “toomanybikes” I wanted a folder but it came up for sale as left over stock , since then I got a folding Dahon and a Brompton eventually.

BigDummy
    Free Member

These are fun! 😀

I like the Orbea Katu very much.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Turning up zilch on that orange bike with the basketframe, not even on reverse image search. Any help appreciated as my Googlefu is spent.

The Neutrino, OTOH – the more I read about that frameset the more I like it and the thinking behind it. Sliding dropouts, millions eyelets, 2.3” tyreability with mudguards!

It’s like a mini Longitude. A Swiss Army Knife bike. Brilliant thread btw.

OP, I have to clean car and be in Brizzle in a few hrs but you just shot up my attention deficit with this! Awesome 😂

Orange Velo Neutrino pics from their blog and fb:

mick_r

There was also a Danish semi fat bike one with a cargo basket frame for a laptop bag but I can’t find it anywhere (higher up so looked a bit of a kneecap banger). Will look again at lunchtime.

mick_r

I’m also still finding nothing more on the basket frame. But this should still excite Malvern Rider 🙂

https://www.coastcycles.com/quinn-series

epicyclo

finishthat

@epicyclo
    sorry don`t have any its buried in the shed , looks just like an very lightly used ano blue Hammerhead 7.0 from 2006 , with Kojacks instead of the very thin tyres originally on it. (105, kinetix cow horns, SDG etc) it could do with a new home really as “toomanybikes”.

Too many bikes, I know the feeling 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

I almost bought a Mixie as the GF was working alongside their distributors in Germany.

Advantage being 20″ wheel means that you can take the bike on public transport without charge. Would have been useful for when I was living outside of town and needed to get to various locations around town.

Now I live in town and just use my bike.

mick_r

Found it found it found it!!

Doppelganger 330 Roadyacht

All in Japanese hence hard for Google to find. Trawling Pinterest FTW.

https://www.doppelganger.jp/product/330-c-bg/

mick_r

Hunter collapsible mini velo also looks great. And it has the front rack attached in the correct place (to the head tube). I really can’t understand half the lovely custom bikes in this thread with 1ft of stationary head tube but they still bolt a rack to the steery bit……

epicyclo

mick_r
    Hunter collapsible mini velo also looks great. And it has the front rack attached in the correct place (to the head tube). I really can’t understand half the lovely custom bikes in this thread with 1ft of stationary head tube but they still bolt a rack to the steery bit……

The original Moultons could carry quite a load, and because the rack was fixed to the headtube, it didn’t affect the handling adversely. Unfortunately the tubing used for the racks was a bit lightweight so there’s plenty bent ones – who’s not going to carry a passenger there? 🙂

I suppose they needed to lighten it somehow because the frame seemed to be made from lead. But a pretty useful packhorse nonetheless.

That Doppelganger load carrier in the frame is genius IMO. 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

mick-r 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼 Great finds, legend.

Great times to be into the bicycle. Did a little nosing on amazon.jp and seem that the Street Yachts average 20000JPY, which is equivalent to £139ish

They also weigh around 40lb 🙂

What compact cargo bike would you get in the UK for 140 quid?

mick_r

It would probably cost me £140 just for the tubing in UK (but that would be cromo not gas pipe).

I’m due another frame project and even have a new rear Sachs 3spd coaster hub and bmx rim ready built and waiting….

epicyclo

Want a mini-velo rabbit hole. Here it is 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Mini Velos…’ is closed to new replies.