Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Show me your log stores please
  • Premier Icon Dorset_Knob
    Subscriber

I’m going to have to build a log store for this house I’ve just moved into that comes with a wood burner but has no dedicated place to keep logs dry.

Before I go off and research plans etc, I need to see some pics to get my juices and motivation flowing please!

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

This is the last one I built. Based on a euro pallet. All in cost about £50. All new timber and overbuilt like everything I seem to do.

Stoner and McMoonter will be along directly to put us all to shame.

Premier Icon Dorset_Knob
    Subscriber

I like that, thanks for sharing. Hadn’t thought of using pallettes, so this thread is already helping 🙂

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

This is one of three, based on two pallets, and fence post ground spikes. I used decking for the roof as it’s cheap per sq metre.

<span style=”font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’,’Helvetica’,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: small;”>[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ib1Keg]IMG_0884[/url] by Richard Marsden, on Flickr</span>

Disappointed we’re 4 posts in and no one has mentioned Mr Firewood himself Pete aka mcmoonter

Look him up on Instagram. He’s the king of stacking and storing wood including old sheds, old water tanks etc.

I’ll try and post a pic of mine later

Disappointed we’re 4 posts in and no one has mentioned Mr Firewood himself Pete aka mcmoonter

Disappointed that there were only 4 posts and you couldn’t be bothered to read the second one properly 😉

Oak framed using saw mill off cuts, wood working timber storage in the bottom, firewood in the top, motion activated solar light for night time log access

Premier Icon v8ninety
    Subscriber

I’ve got a modular system going on with pig arc roof and euro pallets. Turns out that a pig arc covers two euro pallets lengthways perfectly. Ideal footprint is four pallets, and two pig arc sections. A third adds a generous overhang for rain protection. You do need a fair bit of space for this, but it looks nice when full o wood. Pallets were scrounged, pig arc sections cost just under £40 each, and cover a LOT of timber. I may try adding a bit of height to the system when the weather gets nicer for a more efficient use of floor space.

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

One of McMoonter’s.

Premier Icon diz
    Subscriber

https://live.staticflickr." alt="Log store" />

Premier Icon richardkennerley
    Subscriber

Mine is two pallets resting on bricks. The tops of two pallets nailed onto each side and one in the middle as a support. Then the remaining bits of the pallets stuck onto the back of it for more support, sheet of plywood as a lid and covered in roof felt. Sounds rubbish but it looks fine once it’s full of wood and has lasted the winters so far! Dead easy and I hate any form of DIY with a passion. I’d post a picture but can’t find one!!

Premier Icon diz
    Subscriber

Well that didn’t work, I will try again tomorrow from the pc at work instead of the iPad!

B.A.Nana

A bit pathetic, but Ikea Ivar shelving units (gumtree / ebay) with cut up bordeaux boxes nailed to the sides to stop stuff falling out.
    BTW they also do 50mm deep Ivar units which I’ve always thought would make a good base frame for building on for a proper outdoor store, buying cheap on gumtree/ ebay/ facebook classifieds, of course

Oak framed using saw mill off cuts, wood working timber storage in the bottom, firewood in the top, motion activated solar light for night time log access

And a roof that drips on you if you have to collect logs in the rain?

“Disappointed that there were only 4 posts and you couldn’t be bothered to read the second one properly 😉”

Bollox. In my defence I was on a train squeezed in next to my bike 🤣🤣

Premier Icon eskay
    Subscriber

Built this but ran out of room:

So then built this as well:

Not really a problem thegeneralist? you can stand under the overhang at the front

Premier Icon spooky_b329
    Subscriber

I bought a secondhand 6×3 garden shed/walk-in store, the type you get for the dustbin and the lawnmower.

I took the rear wall off which became the front (so the roof slopes towards you) and took the door off the hinges so a 3rd of the back wall is open. Covered the door opening with wire mesh to stop the logs falling out, and used the back wall to make a shelf across the shed and a couple of upright dividers to seperate the logs and support the shelf.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

banana that’s fantastic. That’s a log store like my wine rack!
    “darling what do you fancy tonight?”
    “oh and dont know sweetheart, maybe something earthy and bold…oh!…look! a 2008 chateau d’Ash that will go perfectly with our langoustine!”

Ive been tied up but this is just the distraction I needed
    Ive got four or more wood stores. Here’s a good one

View post on imgur.com

Premier Icon welshfarmer
    Subscriber

Can only find this picture of my log store. Holds about 10 cubic metres of wood which will just about get me through the winter. I usually keep a few dumpy sacks in the shed full of logs as backup. Not the best picture but the only one I could find on the puter…

B.A.Nana

Cheers Stoner, I’m in the wine trade so get access to many Bordeaux boxes (most used for kindling). Had I bothered to photo from the other side then it’s a bit more interesting (being a bit vein I suppose, all the fancy branded sides are facing towards the front gate)

tinribz

null

Some of those cheap studs from bnq and a few pallets. Holds about 2 bulk bags.

Premier Icon Alphabet
    Subscriber

Log Store

A bit ramshackle but it does the job of keeping the wood dry and airy. I think it’s the photo angle/lens that makes it look like it’s leaning backwards as it’s upright in real life.

nbt

Built this a few years ago using the remains of an old conservatory my neighbuors were having replaced

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dNs6fz]The Log Stores[/url] by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dNsF7T]Log stores in use[/url] by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Recently had to dismantle it, the bottom was just soaked and rotten and there were rats nesting underneath

Log store

Frame is 2 x 2″, nase and side slats are 1 x 6″ with sides chamfered on the top edge to shed water. Roof is cheap feather board. All treated timber. It’s attached to horizontal battens on the wall with an air gap. Doesn’t look like it holds much in the photo but the logs are stacked three deep and there are two builders bulk bags of logs in there with room to spare. The only change I plan to make is to put a couple of horizontal cross braces in, as it has started to bow out very slightly after a year of use.

B.A.Nana

I like the idea of converting an old shed

Premier Icon Dorset_Knob
    Subscriber

Thanks for all the pics, and some good ideas to get started with; my skills are basic at best so I won’t be at the mcmoonter end of the spectrum by a very long chalk. I especially like the bird box and insect hotel additions.

Premier Icon jaminb
    Subscriber

Here are my 3.

This was one of my best creations

Very simple 4 scaffold boards

Same but in landscape. Note Gabbions for storage of foraged kindling

donald

I built a lean-to on the shed to store dry wood that we can use day to day. 4×4 and 4×2 for structure and recycled neighbour’s fence for the sides. I extended the shed roof over it and re-felted the whole thing. It only holds a few months worth and I wish I’d made it bigger.

The stuff that isn’t going to get used in the short term goes on pallets with tarps over. Small amounts with pallets nailed on at the ends:

and large amounts with concreted in 4x4s at the ends:

ross980

Come the Zombie apocalypse we can all go and keep warm at Donald’s 😂

neilnevill

Mines just a long stack with tarp over. Stacked cross hatch at the ends and every couple of pallets along. . It’s been close to collapse but hasn’t….. Somehow.

Premier Icon Houns
    Subscriber

An old picture from last year when I was building the extension. Each bay is 2m wide, 3m high and 6m deep. It now has a concrete bed in front of the bays for the log splitter to sit on

View post on imgur.com

Premier Icon Houns
    Subscriber

I’ll try and get pictures of the other log stores I use. One a shonky looking but solid one built from scraps of wood, the other is a room in a derelict boiler house

sharkbait

Just load mine into IBC cages (so much easier to move around using the £50 pallet truck I got off eBay) and stick them in the barn.
    Currently got about 12 cages full 🙂
    (sorry)

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.