Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 208 total)
  • Show me your lightweight XC speed machine
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Now this is a light Scapel, (not mine, but a friends), sub 8kg!

Tune hubs, Experimental Prototype, tuned Lefty, no paint

onandon
    Free Member

radoggair – Member

Quite a few changes between the two bikes.
    Mostly detail. Also mine is a 1×10 using sram xx with a fair chunk saved with the new crank.
    Formula r1 brakes with kcnc rotors and all bolts in Ti .
    Ec90 bars – kcnc post SLR saddle and tyres are around 440 grams each – sram red cassette

As with all light builds its in the details so please don’t be so quick to dismiss.
    Mine started life as a 2011 scalpel 1 so can you not see where weight can be saved on the stock bike?

Happy for you to come over and weight it

onandon
    Free Member

Double post

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    onandon
    Free Member

Argh triple post 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

wow a triple post!

Red cassette, interesting, what range is that for a 1*10 setup?

onandon
    Free Member

I know – record for me 🙂
    It’s a 36 / 11-28. I ride a single speed with 32-14 gearing so thought I’d give this gearin a try.
    Previously went with 34 /11-27 on a Merida 96 which was too easy to spin out on the flat but fine on the climbs.

njee20
    Free Member

But it’s got comparatively heavy wheels. I’d believe 19lbs, but not 18. A friends Flash Ultimate with some lighter bits was 18lbs.

Bloody nice either way, except for the lack of gears. Proper cassette and it’d be great!

Stoner
    Free Member

I tweaked my main ride this weekend. I built these wheels last Summer Autumn Winter and hadnt got round to riding them yet. I wanted to have a go at putting together a really light tubeless set (1,770g). Ive hardly ridden this winter as the conditions round here have been unremittingly nasty, but now that Summer is here Im thought Id get the bike sorted. And for showing off at bespoked this weekend 🙂

This now comes in at 9.6Kg (a little over 21lbs). I could probably shave 100g from the BB and another 150g from the pedals if I really wanted to, but that would probably cost about £1 per gramme which I think would be going too far…so I dont think I can reasonably get this under the magic 20lb mark

(Oh and that chain weighs a bit, so perhaps another 100g off that)

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4BMdygzUvTw/UWHRoM0j19I/AAAAAAAAFkg/9JdCnlCAFGU/s640/IMG_20130407_175533.jpg[/img]

njee20
    Free Member

I wanted to have a go at putting together a really light tubeless set (1,770g).

What went wrong? 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

😛 had to use sapim leader spokes as that was all that was in my spares bin.

clunker

Bang on 20…..

onewheelgood

22.5 lbs

riverdog
    Free Member

My Scott Scale, bang on 20lbs.

20120619_095600 by yampydog, on Flickr

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

How is there only 2.5lbs difference between a hardtail carbon Scott 29er with tubs, carbon rims, and XX, verses a FS Giant 26er with 3*9XT?

Stunning bike there Riverdog!

njee20
    Free Member

Stunning bike there Riverdog!

+1, that’s lovely! Although you’re penalised for taking photos of the non driveside of the bike!

What’s the saddle? Is it a Becker?

No way is that 2lbs heavier than the Scalpel!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Some ludicrous weight claims on here 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I’m sure we’ve discussed that Anthem before!

mt
    Free Member

Got a 20lb Soda. It’s a bit to light. Fast thought. If I was not totally incompetent I’d post a picture.

DaveRambo

23lbs with pedals

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mrs Blobby’s Anthem is over 2lbs heavier than that and it’s the teeny tiny ladies size, very similar to that build and with lighter tyres.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Dunno what it weighs. Not a lot, probably less if it didn’t have a flower pot built into the front rim.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Riverdog, that is very nice indeed. Why Rebas and not SIDs?

onewheelgood

Those Nics are only 2.1s and actually I can’t remember if it had Nics or Ralphs on when I weighed it. Come and weigh it if you like 🙂

Also, since it’s last appearance it has lost a fair amount of weight.
    SLR saddle (160g) replacing Bel Air (268g) -108g
    KCNC rotors replacing Shimano -120g
    KCNC ti skewers (47g the pair) replacing DT Swiss -90g

that’s 3/4 of a pound just on those bits. It’s also gone tubeless and now has a KCNC BB and seat QR.

mrblobby
    Free Member

That weight was before it went tubeless???? 😯

njee20
    Free Member

I’m assuming he’s saying the 22.5lbs is as specced now, not as photographed? Ie it was 23.3lbs (ish) when photographed? I’m still struggling a bit, but I’m sure he’s not making it up, so those desirable scales are out there somewhere!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey, I wonder how light it would be without all those stem spacers? 🙂

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Haha, if that Anthem is 22.5 lbs then my SC Blur xc Carbon with full XTR / XO, Easton EC90, Syntace F109, tubeless RaRa Evo 2.1’s on Roval Control SL’s must be about 18 lbs on his scales… I’ll take that! 😉

DaveRambo

The anthem really is that weight – I ride with him have seen/compared it myself.

Very impressive for a FS bike.

onewheelgood

The 2009 Anthem X1 was 25lbs out of the box. Losing 2.5 lbs isn’t a big ask.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The 2009 Anthem X1 was 25lbs out of the box.

Manufacturers claimed weight…? 🙂

riverdog
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments on my Scott.

Saddle is a Tune.

Why Rebas? They came new on the bike before it was upgraded, the budget wouldn’t stretch to Tubs and new Sids. The wheels at 1200grms gave me more real benefits in terms of speed & stiffness than 200g saved on a fork upgrade.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Interesting. Was holding out for SIDs for a lightweight 29er build but I can find much better deals on the rebas, for the weight saving I may just go reba and spend the extra on wheels.

How have you found the tubs for XC racing?

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

I need the DTSwiss Tubs in my life…Want

flange
    Free Member

And I thought my scales were optimistic. As long as I have a hole in my arse that anthem doesn’t weigh 22.5 lbs. Not a prayer. It’s running XT cranks for a start…

A 2011 Anthem X4 out the box is ‘apparently’ 28lbs. And I think that’s probably on the generous side…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Love all the “I saved X grams here” then quoting the final loss in pounds 🙂

flange
    Free Member

RE: that anthem – Because I’m bored I looked at manufacturers given weights and for just the frame, fork, cranks, wheels, tyres and cassette it puts you at 22.5.

ac282

It might not be 22.5 but it could easily be sub 23. I have an anthem with a similar spec which weighs in at sub 23lbs on a mate’s digital scales.

riverdog
    Free Member

The Tubs are great for a race bike. I’m sure youre aware of the limitations when you don’t have a Scott Swisspower support crew at your race, but the wheels are the revelation for me, they are silly light but the real advantage is they are so stiff. I have always found light 29er wheels floppy, but I think the deep carbon rims are what make the difference.
    The tyres roll super fast but it takes some nerve to run them at 20psi. Goes like a cross bike on the fire roads and a soft-tail on the rough stuff. I did try TUFO tyres first, they roll just as fast, but the Dugasts have much more gripand are a bit bigger volume which I like better.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

They fastbirds or rhinos?

Interesting comments re Tufo’s as that seems to hold true when talking about their cross tubs as well. I think the extra grip comes from the more flexible sidewalls.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘Show me your lightweight XC speed machine’ is closed to new replies.