Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Show me your light weight full sus's
  • safehandsduffy1
    Free Member

show me your lightweights

IA

You're gonna have to define that.

Some folk will say 30lb is light, others only sub 22lb etc.

Also, there was a thread on this recently. Use the search.

njee20
    Free Member

Oo oo, pick me, pick me! This is 21lbs dead with Rocket Rons, a SID fork and some ti-axled Egg Beaters. Currently got a Furious Fred on the back, not hung it on the scales in that guise though, should be about 20.7lbs.

forgotmename
    Free Member

snigger snigger!
    xc baby

wheelz
    Free Member

This is quite lightweight. Not sure how lightweight, but it can't be more than 25lbs.

KevinPP
    Free Member

njee20 – It would weigh even less without the cable reel hung on the front. 🙂

Rip
    Free Member

Scott Spark Ltd.

Bream
    Free Member

Any opportunity to show the old bird 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Oh dear forgotmename, you actually call it your 'baby' too!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Rip – that is a stunner!

njee20
    Free Member

Why the 4-pot brakes?

And it has no pedals, so you actually took it to a muddy pond purely to take a photo of it, good effort 🙂

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

183mm M4 on an arse-heaven fork?
    Wait for it..
    Waaait for it…

Snap!

njee20
    Free Member

That was rather what I was thinking!

coopersport1
    Free Member

26.5lb…….waiting for the abuse 😈

njee20
    Free Member

You should stick an XTR chainset on that, that'll drop a chunk 🙂

coopersport1
    Free Member

Funny that I've got just the one! Unfortunately it's adorning the 456Ti got any more?

epicsteve
    Free Member

A bit under 25lbs on my scales.

njee20
    Free Member

Is that a 2003 Epic steve? Those early ones were weighty buggers!

Unfortunately it's adorning the 456Ti got any more?

Not right now! Although it's not beyond the realms of possibility at some point in the future!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Still think those scales may need a check Steve, those early Epics were weighty buggers

I suspect they're in the ballpark, based on the weights for my other bikes (23ish for my Zion, 27 for my Soul and 30+ for my Enduro when it had Talas and an RP2 – haven't weighed it since fitting a coil shock and Pikes though as I reckon the scale would explode). The Epic has different wheels (American Classics) now as well, and they're quite a bit lighter than the HopeXC/717's that used to be on it.

I've never weighed just the frame of the Epic but it doesn't seem all that heavy.

njee20
    Free Member

Bugger, edited too slowly, I thought it was closer to stock spec, I agree that sub-25 is right with the SID on there!

They got a lot lighter in their early years, IIRC the stock 'Comp' v-brake model in 2003 was about 28lbs, no wonder they weren't that popular!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Mine was actually the base model 2003 one, not even the Comp and I suspect it'd also have been 28lbs or so.

It's very non-stock now though – SID teams, American Classic wheels, XTR drivetrain and brakes, Litespeed Ti railed saddle, carbon seatpost and bars, Speed King supersonics (and Twister Supersonics for summer). Other than the frame and fork I think the only other stock bit left is the LX front mech as it just refuses to die and I won't replace it until it does!

Marge
    Free Member

My S-Works Epic frame (Large 2006) is 2650g….(or 680g more than my Spark)
    Not so porky if you ask me.

epicsteve
    Free Member

From an completely non scientific "heft" test I'd say that my Epic frame and shock doesn't feel much heavier than my Inbred frame (although that does give a good impression as being made of lead).

mattp
    Free Member

now with rons and xt chainset comes in at 24.5 on the bathroom scales

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

BTW brake force is proportional to how hard you pull on the bars, not how big your rotors are or how many calipers you have. HTH.

Rip
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member

Rip – that is a stunner!

Thanks!

njee20 – Member

Why the 4-pot brakes?

And it has no pedals, so you actually took it to a muddy pond purely to take a photo of it, good effort

The build was finished and the pedals hadn't arrived! Couldn't wait to get a photo though.

I have the four pots on all my bikes just to keep spares inventory down really.

Apart from changing to Middleburn cranks it's just the same now. I have the Scale version too and hardly ever ride the Spark. I'd probably sell it to someone who'd appreciate it.

njee20
    Free Member

not how big your rotors are or how many calipers you have

I strongly suspect that most people only have one calliper, although there were some very dodgy twin calliper forks around in the late 90s!

Aside from that, are you actually saying that you can exert the same braking force with a 160mm XC race brake as you can with a 203mm Hope Mono 6 ti?

My S-Works Epic frame (Large 2006) is 2650g

Aye, they got lighter by then, the seat tube/top tube bridge was hollowed out significantly, Brain Lite shock, hollow magnesium mounting, carbon linkage etc etc, the 2003 ones really were heavy, heavier than the Stumpjumpers of the same era.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Of course the bigger brakes have a higher maximum force, but when you're slowing down do you:

a) Pull the brakes on as hard as they'll go.

b) Apply as only as much power as required.

If you choose option b) then you'll squeeze the levers with a bit less force and exert the same force on the forks, when compared with less powerful brakes. Not a problem.

I can see how option a) would pose a threat to some forks, but if that's your choice, your forks are the least of your worries.

psychle
    Free Member

28lbs of 6" travel loveliness 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

But surely it's a value judgement, you brake based on what you know your brakes are capable of. If you have bigger, more powerful brakes, you will brake harder and later purely because you can, ergo exerting a greater force on the forks.

Is there not an issue with the actual amount of leverage on the bottom of the fork legs too, hence maximum rotor sizes on forks.

foxyrider
    Free Member

26.5lb…….waiting for the abuse

really I got the pretty similar setup and mines 29lbs?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If you are posting bike weights then post the size of the frame as well.

It avoids unnecessary willy waving.

njee20
    Free Member

The Top Fuel is 18.5"

foxyrider
    Free Member

KINGTUT – No offence does that make a huge difference with lightweight frames?

njee20
    Free Member

No, it doesn't. It's rarely more than 0.25lbs between identical bikes with a medium and large frame. There's often more variation in identical bikes in the same size frankly!

I guess the difference between a 13" and a 22" is probably >1lb though.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

KINGTUT – No offence does that make a huge difference with lightweight frames?

Between a 14" and a 20" yes I would say so, but as njee says not so much between a medium and a large, but it's still a measurable difference.

But heck why let facts get in the way of a weight weenie willy waving thread. 😉

forgotmename
    Free Member

njee, yep its my xc baby. and its my light full susser, not my heavy 1.

njee20
    Free Member

It's not a heavy bike, it simply appears very heavy for what it is, which I stand by. But that's an altogether different argument!

mattp
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member

If you are posting bike weights then post the size of the frame as well.

It avoids unnecessary willy waving.

I've got an extra large – and no i've never had any complaints

druidh
    Free Member

Finally remembered to get a photo of it outdoors!

Weight (averaged over two scales) is 24lbs. I'm sure I could get it a lot lighter by borrowing scales from some other posters on this thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Show me your light weight full sus's’ is closed to new replies.