Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Show me your…………… light builds
  • Marmoset
    Free Member

About 21lbs, dependant on tyre choice, which aint bad for a 20.5" framed bike.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

About 21lbs, dependant on tyre choice, which aint bad for a 20.5" framed bike.

When you say 'about', I take it your talking about a few lbs?
    Not much light kit on there that I can see, but I may well be wrong & my frame is very 'over engineered' 😉

br
    Free Member

27lb 15oz – 456TI wearing Fox 36's, 5.1 rims and 2.4 tyres, big wide bars, pedals etc etc

26lb as below, with pedals and full mudguards

And an XC weight of 24lb with 2.1's, 240s hubs, pedals and crud catcher

And its a proper size, 20"!

epicsteve
    Free Member

And its a proper size

And with those mudguards, proper ugly!

28lb 'ish weighed on fishing scales. Carbon S-Works Enduro in large with XT, Roval Traversee's, weighty Hope M4's and a monstrously heavy front tyre.

The tyres have now gone for Eskars front and back, so may be a tad under 28 now, but I may be replacing the Traversee's with something sturdier (but will go tubeless) and adding a dropper post, so may creep back up a bit – still respectable for a 6" bike.

oldgit
    Free Member

Think about 25/26lb I race it xc, but it's also my only MTB. Upgrading the bars and stem and fitting a lightweight chain shortly. Plus the wheels are heavy and need servicing so they might get changed.

Marmoset
    Free Member

More like a few hundred grams, depends whether it has trailrakers, pythons or verticals on…probably over 22lbs with Verticals on…..

Not much stupid light stuff on it – I prefer a bike that'll work – carbon bars, ashima rotors, a2z hubs. Feels light anyhow, but rides great 🙂

Marmoset
    Free Member

More like a few hundred grams, depends whether it has trailrakers, pythons or verticals on…probably over 22lbs with Verticals on…..

Not much stupid light stuff on it – I prefer a bike that'll work – carbon bars, ashima rotors, a2z hubs. Feels light anyhow, but rides great 🙂

olie
    Free Member

Just as a matter of interest could you post up rider weights as well?

Would put light bike into context, not much point being a fat git on a light bike really……….

st

I can't be arsed reading all the replies in detail to see if it's been mentioned already but why weigh your bike without pedals?

I could weigh mine without wheels and it'd be lighter but I wouldn't be able to ride it.

Some nice fast bikes there though…

epicsteve
    Free Member

Would put light bike into context, not much point being a fat git on a light bike really……….

Still makes a difference even if you're a fat git. My other bikes are heavier than my Epic and Zion and it's certainly noticeable on the climbs.

olie
    Free Member

Steve I guess my point is lose weight of you and go faster rather than buying a light bike you can't move along quickly cos you're a heifer

druidh
    Free Member

9.4kg / 20.8lb

10.7kg / 23.5lb

9.6kg / 21.1lb

ianpinder
    Free Member

epicsteve,

you are indead correct!! lol

will1
    Free Member

It's got Durin's on now and the latest SLR's. A smidge over 23lb.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Marmoset – Member

About 21lbs

No, no I don't think that can be right.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Steve I guess my point is lose weight of you and go faster rather than buying a light bike you can't move along quickly cos you're a heifer

I don't see the relevance. I'll always be able to climb faster on my sub 23lb Zion than my 30lb+ Enduro – no matter what weight I am.

Losing 7lbs off my bike seemed to make about/maybe more difference than losing 35lbs off me.

Therefore my rule of thumb theory based on absolutely zero factual evidence, is that it's around a 5:1 ratio for equal benefits of rider/bike weight loss.

druidh
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    Losing 7lbs off my bike seemed to make about/maybe more difference than losing 35lbs off me.

Therefore my rule of thumb theory based on absolutely zero factual evidence, is that it's around a 5:1 ratio for equal benefits of rider/bike weight loss.

Sounds scientific enough for me.

njee20
    Free Member

I'm 67kg and dropping at the moment, if that's relevant!

The whole thing with weight is that everyone obviously posts a weight they believe, no one's then going to say 'but my scales under read by 30%', so there are some very dubious weights, and some very credible ones. Some bikes certainly defy their looks, and weigh less than you expect, whilst others seem to come out a whole chunk heavier! I can't see that RM being 21lbs though!

I reckon my scales must 'weigh heavy' compared to some others, no one who has ever 'known' what their bike has weighed has thought it was heavier than it's appeared on my scales, certainly doesn't mean mine are accurate though! Either that, or there are a lot of lying/dillusional people out there!

As for weighing without pedals, that's daft!

tazzymtb

there are a lot of lying/dillusional people out there!

*puts hands up* I'm definitely delusional, I still keep thinking that I'm good looking and in my 20's.

I was/am always rather upset when a calculated weight comes in lighter than the real weight and manufacturers weights can be massively variable, especially on tyres! I just weight the bits as they go on now and then do a final weigh in when it's all built up. (it is a dreadfully geeky thing to do though) 😕

njee20
    Free Member

Yes it is odd how badly off the sum of the all the parts vs the actual weight usually is!

I just weigh the final thing, fairly irrelevant what all the parts weigh IMO, I can see/know the bits where I can save weight! Maybe I've just been doing it too long!

willy
    Free Member

epicsteve..do you also go by the name of steve the pirate?

Northwind

My Soul tips the scales at 25-and-a-bit. Which isn't light, for some bikes, but for a 5 inch hardtail with sensible solid trailbike kit, mudguards and a gravity dropper is not bad. I need to stick the rigid forks and carbon seatpost in it again at some point and see how that measures up though.

(weighed on cheap but decently accurate chinese fish scales)

Marmoset
    Free Member

I lied – it should have said 42lbs!

All I know is the LBS weighed it in at 22.5lbs when it had the ventidiscs, alu bars and Verticals on it and it has got lighter since by 300g due to bars and discs. My other bike was weighed in at 31lbs, which seemed on the money.

I apologise for any offence caused 🙁

*Gets coat, leaves thread*

druidh
    Free Member

My Blur was about a pound "lighter" on the bike shop scales than it is on my own. I'm assuming that's because neither is calibrated. I think I'll pop down to GT one day with a workstand and a set of scales and offer to weight everyones bikes – might be interesting to see the results.

epicsteve
    Free Member

epicsteve..do you also go by the name of steve the pirate?

No.

My Soul tips the scales at 25-and-a-bit.

Mine is a good bit heavier than that at 27lbs.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Also bike weights mean nothing in a willy waving contest unless frame size is stated, njee your bikes are very light but am I right in saying they are medium size frames?

njee20
    Free Member

They are indeed, the Fuel is an 18.5", the Pedal Force is an 18".

I think I'll pop down to GT one day with a workstand and a set of scales and offer to weight everyones bikes – might be interesting to see the results.

That's what I do at races, take scales along and weigh everyone's bike, very interesting!

trail_rat
    Free Member

21.5lbs

18.5lbs – foam grips light bar ends plastic top cap , WCS carbon post , 1.8inch kevlar mud tires and nae gears 😉

Both 20" frames 😉

Half way between atm – 1×9 …. gonna SS it again for the SSECs

Skyliner
    Free Member

Ellsworth Sub22 21lbs shown, much less when I had rc31's and Maxxis 310 tyres! Loved it, never seen another one.

ac282

Nick, that's psychological warfare.

I'm not going to dare to bring my bike anywhere near your scales.

Aus
    Free Member

Not as light as a lot of the bikes here but a great ride 😛

Bathroom scales suggest about 24lbs!

blades2000
    Free Member

11kgs, so 25ish lbs.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Got this just in time for BMBS Rd1 at Sherwood. Just under 21 lb on my scales (+10kg for the dog!). Best hardtail I have ever ridden by a long way, so smooth and responsive. Weight isn't everything, ride quality is far more important IMO.

Dougal
    Free Member

njee20 – Were you riding Eggbeater MXR pedals at the weekend? Might explain where those 13 minutes went. 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Nah, the lack of training explains where the 13 minutes went! Shame the race didn't end halfway up that first fireroad!

You had a good ride though.

Northwind

epicsteve "Mine is a good bit heavier than that at 27lbs."

If I had any sense, I'd have stopped there tbh… But I do love it, and I love fannying around with bikes so it works out OK. The real fun is trying to lose weight without losing capability IMO

br
    Free Member

epicsteve

the mudguards may be ugly, but a ride on a guard-less demo bike at the weekend reminded me why I use them…

and that front one keeps every bit of filth off your face/eyes – so worth it weight in this weather

epicsteve
    Free Member

the mudguards may be ugly, but a ride on a guard-less demo bike at the weekend reminded me why I use them…

Those are particularily ugly mudguards though! I usually have one bike with crud-catchers on for really nasty weather but I don't mind a bit of mud.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Show me your…………… light builds’ is closed to new replies.