Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Show me your Giant Anthem
  • Stevie-P
    Free Member

I'd love to post a pic of mine but it doesn't exist yet 🙁 So, whilst I sit here looking forward to it and whilst I think about what kit to build it with, show me yours!

vrapan
    Free Member

Very much a work in progress and still without the Crest wheels – hopefully on it some time this week – but I a great bike regardless!

DSB
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

Stevie-P
    Free Member

@Vrapan: What travel are those Recons? What made you go for those over 100s?

@Dsb: Are those Race or Teams? How are you finding them with regards to working alongside a Fox shock?

sslowpace
    Free Member

My old banger..

DSB
    Free Member

forks are team…came on the bike and cant fault them 😀 always been a fox man myself but found these have just soaked up everything i've thrown at 'em…no mechanical issues to date and certainly, for this bike and set up they are just perfick 😀

onewheelgood

vrapan
    Free Member

I didn't pick them really they were transplanted from a Boardman. They are U-Turn 351s now set at 120mm but can go from 85 t0 130, never tried them at either end just 100mm and now 120mm.

I was going to get an SID Race or Team from Merlin but the bike rides so well with a 5" fork on that I don't want to lose the ability to run it at 5" by getting an SID.

So I am trying to decide if I want to splurge for a variable fork like the Durin M / Reba U-Turn, or I'd be happy enough to run it all the time at one setting in which case a cheaper Reba Race/SID Race would suffice.

jimmy-s3
    Free Member

What size tyres are you all running on your anthems?
    Ive just bought a 2010 anthem 4 and need to change the tyres asap but not too sure what to go for??
    Id been using the Continental Vertical/Gravity 2.3's on my last bike (Trek Fuel EX 9.0) and really rated them highly, but im unsure they will fit the Anthem?

vrapan
    Free Member

I think I've made a mistake on mine but we will see shortly. I currently run 2.1 Pana XC very sketchy on wet roots and rocks but got a 2.35 Igni for front and a 2.1 Crossmark for the back to put on my new wheelset. Something tells that this combo will be even worse…

DSB
    Free Member

for winter have been running 2.25 advantage front and 2.25 ardent rear…and tbh will only go on to RR's once, read…if it ever gets, really dry and dusty 😀

Bream
    Free Member

Another old banger 😉 :mrgreen:

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

llamafarmer
    Free Member

Post Brechfa:

Running the standard 2.1 Racing Ralphs all year round – my favourite tyre 😀

jimmy-s3
    Free Member

Do you think 2.3's wont fit then? Id rather use conti's as i trust them for grip, plus they're cheap!

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Now with RS SID team forks and a raceface next sl carbon chainset.

dean.harvey
    Free Member

Here's some photos of the Anthem I built up, first ones of the day I got it setup with the help of some guys at my local bike shop, still had the Rock Shox SID on the front, the next pick's with the Fox forks and some other tweeks.
    To the guy who started this thread: When you getting your's built? I had such an awesome time shopping around for parts with mine.
    To the rest of the guys on here, nice bikes! The older Anthem's in the white and blue are still the best, that silver ones pretty flash as well, make me get a strange feeling in my trouser area.
    Dig the Anthem

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Ok it's now finished! Woo! Done three rides on it so far although the first one was basically a 'set-up and tweak' ride. Loving the bike and I really enjoyed sourcing the parts and building it on my 'day-off'.

SPEC:

2010 Giant Anthem X Frameset
    Rock Shox SID World Cup Forks (last minute decision and all the better for it!)
    Hope Hoops (Stans 355s on blue Pro 2s)
    Full Shimano XT Groupset
    Bonty XXX Lite Carbon Bars
    Thomson Seatpost
    Thomson Stem
    Bonty RXL Saddle
    Bonty Mud-X (1.8 rear / 2.0 front)
    Blue bits 'n bobs to balance blue forks and hubs

Going to take it for a spin at Enduro 6 to see if it's better than my Trance last year – should be, for that anyway.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Forgot to mention, it weighs in at around 24.5 lb. The stem and seat post aren't the lightest but I wanted a little stiffness in there – ooer! I think it's pretty respectable and it rides well which is the main thing.

jimmy-s3
    Free Member

Very nice,
    What degree thomson stem are you using and how do you find using flat bars?

neninja
    Free Member

Here's mine –

2010 Anthem X4 that's been upgraded
    XT chainset and gearset
    Stans Olympic rims/Dirty Flea hubs/DT Rev wheelset
    K18 Oro's
    Thomson stem and seatpost
    Hope QR s/p clamp
    KCNC skewers
    Raceface Next SL carbon bars
    Fizik Gobi

Changing the M647 DX pedals for some Crank Bro Candy 2Ti's this week

metalheart
    Free Member

what size seat post does the new anthem take?

can you run 2.35 high rollers?

can run 183 disc on the back?

😀

Stevie-P
    Free Member

What degree thomson stem are you using and how do you find using flat bars?

0° stem. Well the frame is a little on the short side for me (short legs / long reach) so the stem and flat bars help make the reach a bit longer. Plus it feels a lot more 'direct' on the front end which is how I like it. I've always preferred flats to risers though.

I've tried a 7° pointing down (-7°) and that felt good too but I'll stick with the 0° as it gets a bit twitchy on Peak rides with it too low!

@neninja

Loving the white X4 frame and Fox forks – looks very nice! Yes some new peddles would finish that off just nicely. The above quoted weight on mine was with Shimano XT SPDs on but sometimes I ride flats – especially on some technical Peak rides.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

what size seat post does the new anthem take?

can you run 2.35 high rollers?

Do you really want to? 😉

can run 183 disc on the back?

Loads of rotor room at the back end.

metalheart
    Free Member

Stevie P: thanks.

and why not? :mrgreen:

neninja
    Free Member

Thanks Stevie

I do like the DX spd's as they provide a decent platform when you're not clipped in but weigh a tonne. The Candy 2ti's will lose 1/2 lb (and they're white)

I'm tempted to flip my stem – it's 100mm 5deg rise and with the riser bar I think it needs dropping a bit. Only had it a couple of weeks so still tinkering and making it fit.

jimmy-s3
    Free Member

Ive just bought the same bike, really liking it!
    Looking to upgrade most parts in the near future.
    Already changed the wheelset for Mavic crossrides and got rid of the horrid standard saddle for a selle slr carbon saddle, next on my list is a new seatpost/stem/bars combo but not too sure what to go for?? Any ideas?

gruffalosoldier
    Free Member

Any excuse 😀

Anthem X2. Been out in the Clwyds this morning experimenting with shock settings and now I've got them sorted it is a SUPERB ride. Climbs like I'm a stone lighter and comes back down better than some 5" travel bikes I've ridden.

Obviously this could be the new bike buzz kicking in and clouding my judgement but i have to say…..love it, love it, love it!!!

Forgot to say…….apologies for the garden pic.

frogstomp

My X3 up on top of the Marin trail last week..

GWick
    Free Member

Stock Anthem X3 2010. Only been out on it 3 times but what a ride. Saying that its my first full sus so what do I know.

onewheelgood

Look at those weeds – and the state of that decking.

GWick
    Free Member

Gardening takes me away from my bikes 😉

hughjengin
    Free Member

Do Anthem x owners find they have loads of seatpost sticking out ? Was seriously considering one, and at 5'6" the small 16" seems to fit the bill. A 575mm HTT is about right for me as is a 120mm Head tube length. But measuring up on the basis of my current bike, I reckon if I got the bike in race setup positioning, I'd end with loads of seatpost sticking out. Do Anthem owners find that its the same for them ? i.e Long top tubes relative to seat tube length ?
    I reckon there'd be about 250mm of seatpost sticking out for me

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Giant Anthem’ is closed to new replies.