Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Show me your gas fires
  • geoffj

After 10 years of wood burner ownership we are moving to a house with mains gas and a living flame gas fire.
    It’s a sad time – I’ll be hanging up my chainsaw and chaps – the pickup has already gone 😥

However, this ‘living flame’ effort had a nasty 80s faux stone surround which will have to go.

So what funky modern gas fires have you got?

sweepy
    Free Member

Years ago we had a living flame gas fire for a while. OK it was on calor gas but it would probably been cheaper to just burn the money.
    Back in days of yore when we lived in Liverpool with mains gas we had an actual gas fire and it was great- cheap and warm and didn’t pretend to be anything else.

Cougar

(my fire, not my house)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kayak23

Why do you keep your fire in someone else’s house?

newrobdob
    Free Member

Cougar – those fires are incredibly efficient. I went into a gas showroom recently and the guys there were saying they stil sell loads of that style of fire, the efficiency figures for them were way above any other style.

kevj
    Free Member

We are fortunate that the house is very well insulated and the central heating system (combi and rads) heat up the house to a nice warm temperature in about fifteen minutes if we’ve been out. I ‘refurbished’ the living room last year and put in a new modern fireplace with a bio-fuel fire. It’s there purely for aesthetic purposes and looks lovely on a dark night.

geoffj

new modern fireplace with a bio-fuel fire

Pictures or linky?

Rockape63
    Free Member

These are the latest thing, using a balanced flue, they are sealed behind glass, but provide authentic flames and great heat output. Not a cheap option though! 🙂

shifter
    Free Member

What model is that Rockape?

Tracey

Ours has been in for the best part of 30 years, would love a wood burner but would want to keep the cast, hearth and surround.

We do have a great hearth rug which is the main reason that the fire doesn’t get used

Rockape63
    Free Member

What model is that Rockape?

That is a DRU Maestro 105/30 which cost about £k installed but you could but one inc flue for £4600 inc non reflective glass which is amazing as you just cant see it. Look at the youtube vid, they are by far the most authentic flame as the gas comes out of the logs as well as the base.

I’m getting one after much research.

Flaperon

They look posh but the regulator and control on many of them is cheap and nasty. Consider very carefully (the remote control on mine simply winds the control knob behind the cover. Also don’t forget that it may have an always on pilot light.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Don’t think this has cheap and nasty controls, but I’m no expert. You actually control it from an app on your phone/ipad.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91DD4PicGSQ[/video]

Cougar

Cougar – those fires are incredibly efficient. I went into a gas showroom recently and the guys there were saying they stil sell loads of that style of fire, the efficiency figures for them were way above any other style.

I very much doubt it. It must be 40 years old, the back boiler runs by burning five pound notes.

shifter
    Free Member

£4600 – yowzers. You could buy a mountain bike for that 🙂

mellowyellow
    Free Member

Gas fires. To get any real heat radiant fires are the way to go. Look awfully 80’s though.
    Decorative fuel fires almost no heat. Expensive to run.

Living flame even more expensive to run and even less heat.

All need vent and regular maintenance, nasty little buggers all of them from a safety point of view.

30+ years experience in installing and maint. I wouldnt have any open flued appliance in my house and defo not in my lounge.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Up to 10kw heat output on that Dru, balanced flue means it’s sealed from the room as the incoming air comes down the same flue that emits the exhaust gases. What’s not to like?

km79
    Free Member

What’s the advantage of a gas fire over a combi boiler and rads?

cheekyget
    Free Member

Here’s my gas fire
    I took it out at the weekend……never used it more than a handful of times in 10 years….
    It’s up on ebay …£20 starter ….lol

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Show me your gas fires’ is closed to new replies.