• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by smithrick-spam.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Show me your garden gates
  • miketually
    Free Member

The gate between our house and garage has seen better days:

I want to replace it with one that runs across the driveway, between the house and the boundary fence with next door’s garden, so that we have a bit more usable patio space outside the back door.

I’m going to make it in two halves, with one being the daily-usage half and the other being for occasional use if we need to get a trailer or something into the back garden.

It needs to be solid, chunky, withstand abuse and frequent use, and dog-proof. And made from wood. Simple, minimal, rustic and wabi-sabi, rather than complex, ornate and fancy.

I’m tempted by a mcmoonter-inspired log-pile filling a gap between a gatepost and the side fence, for insect habitat and coolness.

I’ve made precisely one gate before and it was awesome:

flip
    Free Member

Sort the weeds 🙄

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Show me your garden gates too. I’m looking for one across my drive, I want mine to be a 1/3rd and 2/3 opening if that makes sense. So a 1/3 gate to walk through,

toys19
    Free Member

This is mine built by a local saw mill for 200 quid, including frame, about 7 foot high and 4 inches thick. Long throw lock mech. I have just ordered a 6mm thick stainless anti hack saw plate to go across in front of the lock.

miketually
    Free Member

flip – Member
    Sort the weeds

You should see the rest of the garden if you like weeds. There’s 500 foot of garden and I work full time; weed-free it’ll never be.

miketually
    Free Member

That’s really nice toys19. Nicer than the doors inside my house 🙂

That’s the sort of thing I was going for, but I’ll probably leave some gaps to make it more wind-permeable as down the side of the house is a bit of a wind tunnel.

midlifecrashes

Wanted slightly rustic look, so went with treated sawn boards, topped with heavy trellis. The three concrete post go around 4 ft into the ground, timber bolted to them and all the other hinges and timer attach to that. This lot is about 11 years old and a couple of bits are ready for changing. All needs treating again.

matt_outandabout

Then:

Now

IMGP3043 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

This is mine built by a local saw mill for 200 quid, including frame, about 7 foot high and 4 inches thick. Long throw lock mech. I have just ordered a 6mm thick stainless anti hack saw plate to go across in front of the lock

Nice, but where do you live, Gipton in Leeds?

Markie
    Free Member

A quick n’ dirty camera phone pic of a gate I completed two weekends ago. Thrilled with it.

toys19
    Free Member

Nice, but where do you live, Gipton in Leeds?

Sunny devon, but we have our fair share of “dayloit wasters” who like knicking stuff.

Radioman

For security it’s a good idea to put a trellis above the gate. Helps stop thieves climbing over.

miketually
    Free Member

I really like that Markie. Is the gate itself reclaimed wood or just stained?

My side garage door used to have a horseshoe on it, but I replaced it with a chainring. I considered something similar for the gate, but thought it was a bit too “please steal my bikes”.

I do have an idea for using an old bike wheel as a structural element in an internal gate though. And maybe an old crank as a handle.

trickydisco
    Free Member

miketually
    Free Member

That’s a gate, not a garden gate 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

First gate I’ve ever made. Boards have shrunk so it’s now a bit “toothy”.

Not sure it’s what you’re after, but it’s nice to who off a bit of handy work.

miketually
    Free Member

I like your hinges.

Markie
    Free Member

Thanks miketually!

All the light wood is oak I bought for the project. The dark wood (panels) are a sawn up old greenhouse table. It’s an untreated (I think) softwood, nicely split and weathered by years in the sun, I suppose!

FWIW, my hinges are by From the Anvil, in their beeswax finish. Basically preferring a nice look which will age well to a no maintenance finish. The screws that came with them were rubbish so used coach bolts.

Near us in Oxfordshire is a wood recycling pace, wood planks, posts, beams, etc to pick through. If you’re after the weathered look, maybe see if something similar nearby?

manoirdelourde
    Free Member

Not wood, but quite nice I think.
    [/url] DSC_0021 by manoirdelourde, on Flickr[/img]

TooTall
    Free Member

*marks a can of whupp-ass with trickydisco’s name*

That is no garden gate – that is a thing of beauty. In lilac.

stgeorge

This is mine built by a local saw mill for 200 quid, including frame, about 7 foot high and 4 inches thick. Long throw lock mech. I have just ordered a 6mm thick stainless anti hack saw plate to go across in front of the lock.

Looks nice and sturdy , good for climbing over……….

miketually
    Free Member

Might have to look into reclaimed timer, or find some to reclaim myself. I like the mix of new light wood and old dark wood there.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I made a frame from 1″ box section and clad it with UPVC cladding, it’s lasted about 15 years so far.
    Wood is just a pain, I do my decorating with a bucket of soapy water and a sponge. 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Show me your garden gates’ is closed to new replies.