Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Show me your (fully laden or not) tourers please.
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I have a week off work coming up and have decided to do my first tour. It will be on the roads of northern France.

I’ll probably go for “credit card’ touring for the first one but would like to build a bike that would carry lightweight camping gear for further trips.

So, anyone have any frame recommendations? Pics to accompany would be even better.

And ant touring tips that you may have picked up along the way.

Thank you,

BB

maccruiskeen

use a trailer instead of a rack and panniers. If its on-road then 2-wheel trailers are best – then you don’t need to have a special bike for touring, you can use whatever bike you usually ride.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Everyone has their own favourite solutions. Me I like an MTB riding position nowadays.

Racks – tubus are the best – but at a price. Get your racks really secure as they vibrate loose. Old man mountain are often recommended but I have no personal experience.

Good bags are a great help – easy but secure mountings, waterproof. Ortleib are usually considered very good but I ham a huge fan of carradice stuff. We have the carradry panniers – really well made, rears are bigger than ortleib, mounts a bit fiddly but very secure

For really light touring just a carradice saddlebag might beenough – the longflap super camper is a classic design and I used one for decades carries a lot of kit

Pic of a fully laden mountain tandem ain’t much use to you I guess 🙂

42 Windmills bicycle and us by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

http://www.carradice.co.uk/ for old man mountain racks and various bags

jad
    Free Member

Laden Bike by alanach_d, on Flickr

My mountain bike does the job just fine with some heavy duty slicks.

carlosg
    Free Member

I used to use this ugly beast with a pair of Carradice ‘super c’ limpet panniers on the front and some Karrimor ‘Kalahari’ on the back. the first tour had the full rigid mtb parts but I changed the bars , shifters , brakes and big chainring for touring use.

ton

my recently built tourer.
    now with rack and guards.
    i like a sat up mtb type position too like teej.

racefaceec90

have always liked touring bikes even,though i only ride mountain bikes at present. have always loved ones like this not my picture 😀

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Thanks guys, must say i am drawn more to a road bike style tourer just because of the lower position and more hand positions.

Though I do have an old Canondale mtb not doing much at all, I’m put of using that though as it has hydraulic disc brakes.

BB

Topov
    Free Member

Ready for anything…

RustyMac

I just read that as trousers rather than tourers 😳

Stoner
    Free Member

My lightweight tourer.
    [img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HJiu4tWQVVg/Tgjns1puW7I/AAAAAAAAAA4/USehwXQlbH0/s640/Pompino%252520Trip%252520143.jpg[/img]

Pompino with carradice super C saddle bag and a bar bag.
    Lightweight camping for two through spain and france for 3 months.

http://pompinos.blogspot.com/

sharki
    Free Member

boblo
    Free Member

Oh go on then. My old friend:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

why do disc brakes put you off?

boblo
    Free Member

Hydros for day rides and short tours I would imagine are OK but for longer rides in remote/less well developed areas, a royal PIA.

If it’s long multi week/month trip or off the beaten track, I’d keep it simple. Having written that, even on the beaten track I’d keep it simple as I wouldn’t want to lose cycling days when trying to find spares or fettle more esoteric kit.

maccruiskeen

A possible pitfall with using a MTB frame and panniers is the short chainstays. Chaps with big feet have the benefit of being incredibly well endowed, but this is offset slightly by catching their heels on the panniers.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ this.

Definitely cable actuated brakes for long tours. That doesnt necessarily preclude disc brakes though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

boblo – I have never had an issue – never damaged a brake – done muliday offroad tours and 2 weeks mainly road tours with hydro discs and no issues. I did carry a seal kit and a spare hose but you would carry a spare cable would you not?

How often do hydros fail?

Stoner
    Free Member

Chaps with big feet have the benefit of being incredibly well endowed, but this is offset slightly by catching their heels on the panniers.

Im hung like a baboon 😉

eth3er
    Free Member

Earlier this year, good times.

boblo
    Free Member

Teej, My bikes are set up for multi week/multi month tours usually away from the mainstream so I try and ensure I use kit that is pretty generic. Yes I carry cables, especially on the tandems as they are so long/difficult to find.

My hydro experience is limited to MTB’s which might not be representative. Thrashing about in the Peak midwinter grinding paste may not be the same.

If I were speccing a new frame, I’d go for BB7’s as I did manage to finish off a rim one tour (on vees). At least I could avoid that but I’d need to carry more spare pads.

Last point is more tandem specific. My tandems have Arai drag brakes which I use. I’d be concerned about boiling hydros as I’m not aware of a disc/drum hub and I wouldn’t want to use a disc for drag duties.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Comfort machine, Sasla Mukluk

April 20th – Over Night Bivi Thinking by Johnclimber

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Boblo – check the forst pic – we just have discs on the tandem. Just don’t drag them – use them in bursts. With good discs you don’t need to drag the brakes. Hope 6 pots help tho – very heat resistant. Personally I would never have anything but hydro discs on the tandem

its simply not a major issue and IME discs are more reliable and faff free than any cable brake

Pads last many thousands of miles

racefaceec90

if i could ever afford it,would love to get one of these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-rohloff-mercury-530s-blue-green-starburst-soft-touch-lacquer-ex-display-mrsp-4250-prod12809/ (also to have the fitness/funds to do it justice also 😀 edit if they did a disc version that would just be jim dandy 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

sorry rf90, but that’s gopping!
    I can never get excited about 26″ tourers no matter how sensible they might be.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

The reason I was put off using hydraulic discs is just that if I was unfortunate enough to get a mechanical problem with them the chances of finding parts for old Hayes discs are probably next-to-none. Whereas cables, blocks, etc you can buy almost anywhere.

There really are some great bikes there, can’t wait to get started.

Anyone care to give an idea of what would they would pack for 1 weeks credit card touring?

Oh and keep the bike pics coming. And if anyone has something with a 54 cm top tube for sale ………..

BB

Stoner
    Free Member

Kit for two for 3 months camping.
    We wanted for nothing (except probably 2x kindles if they had been invented!) and the only thing we didnt use was the first aid kit and needle and thread I think.

Camping

2 man Go Lite Den 2 Tent
    2x Thermarest 3/4 sleeping matts
    Custom double duvet
    JagBag double silk sleeping bag liner

Cooking & Food

Titan titanium pas (1.2l, 0.9l, lid)
    2x titanium sporks
    MSR pocket Rocket stove
    200g gas canister
    Full set of folding plates/bowls/mugs
    4x 750ml water bottles on bike
    lighter & matches

Bike gear & tools

2x On-One Pompinos
    Topeak mountain morph pump
    Kryptonite cable lock (10mm x 6′)
    Cateye 7 computer
    2x Carradice Super C saddlebags
    1x Altura Bar bag, 1x Karrimor Bar bag
    2x rear LED lights
    Spanner, bike tool, tyre levers, repair kit, spare cleats & bolts, Chain tool, spare links
    Spare brake cables, spare spokes, zip ties, pva tape, rag, silicon lube

Clothes (each)

Riding shoes, convertible for walking and bar flying
    Flip flops
    2x pairs socks
    2x pairs riding underwear
    Underwear for off bike
    2 ride tops
    1 off bike top
    1 pair convertible trousers
    1 pair of overshorts
    Montane Litespeed splashtop
    Swedish Down Smock
    Bike gloves
    Sunglasses
    Helmets

Toiletries

Shampoo
    Sunscrean
    Aftersun
    Bio soap
    Bar of soap
    Toothpaste
    Toothbrushes

Stuff

2x Penknives
    Sony SW radio
    Digital Camera
    Phone
    Phone 9v power converter
    note pad
    Pencils
    Silva 7 Compass
    Travel towels
    Spanish phrase book
    Candle
    Medipac
    Bag straps
    Map
    Needle & thread
    2x LED Headtorch

racefaceec90

Stoner to be honest i agree,but for that sort of money i would expect it to be custom painted to my spec (can imagine a lovely deep metallic red paint job) 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bianchi boy – which is why I carry a set of seals and a spare hose on long tours

For creditcard touring in a bike friendly country? toothbrush. 🙂

Seriously multitool, tube, patches, cable ties, mech hanger, spares for any unusual parts you have.
    waterbottles and pump on the frame

Anything generic – cables, brake pads etc can be bought easily so don’t bother carrying them

Couple of changes of clothes
    waterproofs
    camera

richpips
    Free Member

My Peregrine.

Stoner
    Free Member

mr pips, long time no post!

been getting the miles in? still motorhome?

maccruiskeen

Anyone care to give an idea of what would they would pack for 1 weeks credit card touring?

What you wear on the bike, plus one change of everything thats in direct contact with your bod. And the means to wash it. And a toothbrush.

And a wheel barrow to carry your baboon wanger about in

boblo
    Free Member

Trouble is, you want a bike that if it does fail, is easy to fix with commonly available parts. The alternative is to spend a couple of days of your holiday finding and fettling. I’d be pretty peed off having to divert to find spares. Mind you, my tours are more route march than smell the roses 🙂

simondbarnes

This will become my lightweight tourer with the addition of a lightweight rack and a couple of panniers…

Sabbath September by simondbarnes, on Flickr

boblo
    Free Member

Bloody ell that looks smart. Don’t leave it anywhere….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sorry for the hijack – boblo – but if you have a seal kit and a hose? and maybe a setof pads for more than a few days what else can go wrong?

StirlingCrispin

Here’s mine: Cannondale T700 with Dave Yates custom-built forks and Ti-railed Brooks B17 saddle. Purchased in 1996 this is my “new” touring bike (My “old” one, a Trek 520, had 65,000 miles on the clock before I passed her on).
    Shown in roughstuff mode entering Glen Artney, Carra’s will soon be heading to Arran, Mull, Ardnamurchan and then Inverness on a week-long tour.

simondbarnes

Don’t leave it anywhere….

Yeah, sadly that’s the problem with nice bikes 🙁
    Maybe I’ll just copy Stoner and use this…

Pompino by simondbarnes, on Flickr

Stoner
    Free Member

too right. cissy.

boblo
    Free Member

Yep the parts help but I wouldn’t want to spend time stripping and bleeding hydros on tour. Short tours of a few days, you’d more than likely get away without doing anything but away for months..? That’s my perspective; multi month in less developed areas. BTW discs in the Netherlands? That must have really stress tested them 🙂

I’m just joking!! 🙂

Does anyone know of a disc/drum hub. That would be my perfect combo for very hilly areas…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Show me your (fully laden or not) tourers please.’ is closed to new replies.