Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Show me your favourite campsites
  • petrieboy

Taking our new bell tent for it’s debut outing for the week between the holiday weekends ( god bless the future queen) but don’t know where to go. We’ll be taking the boys (3 months and 2 years) and the dog so somewhere scenic with nice walks would be nice. We’ll probably spend a bit of time just chilling out around the tent so somewhere a little nicer than your standard grassy field would suit.

Current thoughts are Devon & Cornwall but really the whole of the UK is our oyster

Let’s hear what you’ve got!!

SaxonRider

My family absolutely loves the Gower, as well as the area around Tenby. It really is beautiful.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sango sands in Durness – might be a bit far for you

http://www.durness.org/Durness%20Village.htm

allthepies
    Free Member

Pool Bridge Campsite nr Porlock, Exmoor.

Set in a steep sided coombe with a stream running through it, campfires allowed within a few metres of the stream. No mobile signal and rather hard to find, but worth it 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I go to a little camp site in Dwygyfylchi. Not got a clue how to say it but it’s a cracking site. Camp fires galore and right on the northern tip of snowdonia.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

We love Caerfai Farm near St Davids in Pembrokeshire. Lovely spot with fantastic views – great for kids as above a really safe beach. The area in the middle of the camping fields is kept clear so there are always impromptu games of cricket and football going on with the kids from the site. Dogs allowed too.

For something a bit wilder, then it’s hard to beat Mynydd Mawr on the Llyn peninsular near Aberdaron. Facilities very basic, but again, stunning views out over Bardsey Island and a real back of beyond feel.

We’ve also stayed here a number of times: http://www.graigwen.co.uk/modx-0961p2/index.php

The camping area down near the estuary is stunning. Direct access onto the Mawddach trail and handy for CyB.

In Cornwall, I really rate Henry’s on the Lizard: http://www.henryscampsite.co.uk/ … a bit hippy dippy, but good fun, and again great for kids. Some great walking thereabouts as well.

Although it’s v expensive, I also like Tristram campsite at Polzeath. You can’t beat it for views / location / easy access to the surf etc, but it does get very busy – probably best left for out of season.

Not stayed at Pool Bridge, but it gets very good reports. Nearby there is also Burrowhayes Farm – http://www.porlock.co.uk/members/index.php?id=00073 much bigger, more commercial site, but has some of the best facilities of any campsite I’ve stayed in, and direct access onto Exmoor. Very friendly too.

Tom83

Sandy Balls, New Forest. Mainly for the name, but it’s a lovely place too.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Following on from post above, just to whet your appetite:

View from the back of the van @ Graig Wen last year:

Not a great pic, but gives an idea of how far from anything Mynydd Mawr is:

Sunset view from Tristram, Polzeath:

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Near Achiltibuie, Wester Ross

boxelder

Castle Point near Dalbeattie

Fisherground, Eskdale in the Lakes – with miniature railway.

uplink
    Free Member

Is that crosses that the OP is burning in his tent?

Bregante

Fisherground is ace. Not been for over 10 years now but have some happy memories of weekends with the eldest (now 16) and trips on la’l ratty!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Had no pics of mine uploaded earlier but here it is, some stunning views…

yossarian
    Free Member

Glenbrittle on the isle of Skye.

Just google it

richmars

Favourite one from the Fens:

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Huh, not remote enough… 😯

petrieboy

uplink – Member
    Is that crosses that the OP is burning in his tent?
    POSTED 12 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

It’s a tealight chandelier (library photo – I don’t have one) no occult here!!

camster
    Free Member

Three Cliffs Bay in the Gower is quite stunning.

Indeed camster, not been yet, but will be going there with the caravan in a couple of weeks…

emsz
    Free Member

Oh my gosh Petrieboy, your tent is lush!

Northwind

In Cornwall we always used to stay at the St Ives Bay Holiday Camp. Now, it’s a big site, loads of caravans, and doesn’t look like much at all but the tent area is right on top of the dunes for the beach (massive, massive, get lost in them forever dunes) and the beach is lovely- big flat sands with fab rockpools etc further along. There’s a typical horrendous clubhouse but if you avoid that there’s a pretty nice conservatory place up the top by the pool where you can chill out and avoid the mobb. Good family site. Not at all adventurey though, it’s just a very, very good standard-issue campsite.

TJ’s spot on, the Sango bay site is stunning. 5 seconds plummet to the beach :mrgreen: And what a beach. But not in cornwall…

Just my opinion, but Durness doesn’t strike me as being particularly lovely, looking at the photo’s on the website Teej linked to.

Northwind

It’s an awful website isn’t it! The town’s not pretty, but it’s really a lovely part of the country. Quite bleak/rugged as you’d expect.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Durness and sango sands is one of the most beautiful parts of teh country. The campsite is atop this beach

gator
    Free Member

+1 Fisherground

Love the place – do they still have the campfires ?

lardybiker
    Free Member

Petrie.

Where did you get your tent.

It looks ace!

Waderider
    Free Member

Lazy car based camping doesn’t achieve the best camp sites in my opinion.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Lots of nice campsites up around the north west of scotland. Clachtoll is a bit of a favourite of ours – just watch the locals, as I woke up to a large cock in my face this summer 😯

There are few things better in life than watching a west coast sunset from the door of your tent with a cold beer for company.

jp-t853

Horgabost Bay on the Isle of Harris. On those days when the sun comes out and the family is playing in the sea, the dog thinks it is in heaven and you are sat out in the light past midnight and the midges forgot to emerge.

It does happen, the only problem is the next day it is 60mph winds and horizontal rain and then when it dies down the flesh is eaten from your bones.

Kunstler

Oh yes. Horgabost beach.

Kunstler

Calgary Bay on the Isle of Mull is also a great camping spot but was rowdy when I was last there.

And the campsites on the Morar coast above Arisaig are amazing.

petrieboy

Lardy & Emzs – tent came from these guys after a recommendation on here. Saw them at the outdoor show and was pretty impressed so ordered a 5m ultimate.
    No more expensive than a decent family tent but thought it would be a bit of fun for the boys (we may dress up and make the dog into a totem pole) 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed waderider

19 camp 2 view 5 by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

20 Camping at Carrour by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

carlosg
    Free Member

http://www.oldmacdonalds.co.uk/

In between Padstow and Newquay , petting farm and campsite , fantastic for kids. The nearest beach at Porthcothan Bay is dog friendly too.

We’ve been for the last 3 years.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

I’m with ditch_jockey Clachtoll

http://www.clachtollbeachcampsite.co.uk – Will be going up here for the 4th year in a row in July!

You can just make out the campsite which is 40miles past Ullapool/80 past Inverness.

This is my photo, not taken off of the website.

pacemaker
    Free Member

Lower Treave

Crows-an-wra near Sennen Cove, Cornwall.

Had a few visits here, its nice, quiet and relaxing.

tomaso
    Free Member

I am enjoying the suggestions.

I like Shell Island in Wales. Not as remote as some but if you find a quiet spot down amongst the dunes its beautiful.

timber

Think that Caerfai is the site I stay at St Davids too. Farm just mile west out of town above the harbour?

EDIT: – No its not, Porthclais Farm is where we stay.

Low Wray near Ambleside in the Lakes is worth a look too, lots of small broken up fields and wooded areas to camp in.

large418
    Free Member

Another one for St Davids, but Pencarnan Farm Campsite has fantastic views of St Davids Head, Ramsey Island and Whitesands bay. Right on the coastal path, tis a brilliant (if slightly costly) campsite. Good walking to Whitesands, it’s own little beach (Portsele) and 5 mile coastal walk to Porthclais harbour. Very safe for youngsters also- my 3 had some excellent holidays there. Some good riding across the Preseli’s as well.

druidh
    Free Member

Some of my favourites have already been mentioned. I’d add Keppoch near Arisaig, and Torvaig, Portree

Campsite of the gods by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

Lovely view of the Cuillin, easy stroll into Portree and the site usually gets a wee breeze which will keep the midge at bay.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Show me your favourite campsites’ is closed to new replies.