Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Show me your dropper post cable solutions (or help!)
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

right heres the dilemna, i dont have any guides for a dropper post cable remote (older frame), i only run 1×10 so you’d think i can use the front mech guide right? well wrong, i cant 🙁

its a partial hole for an inner cable and NOT an outer (so a full cable running through the front mech is not an option)

so i either need something to stick on to the frame, or some other genius method (WWIW i’ve tried those mparts cable guides and they didnt stick to the frame even after degreasing)

what are my options?

weeksy

you mean like the ones on CRC ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19014

oh…. you did… lol

Northwind

I use the Mparts ones, they don’t stick particularily well, 2 of the 3 fell off. So I reattached them with superglue, problem solved.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I just zip tied mine to the TT. I also put a ziptie throught the seatpost qr and then another through that so the dropper cable stays in a straight line down the post and doesn’t flap around everywhere. If you don’t know what I mean I can get a pic for you but probably not until tomorrow.

ndthornton
    Free Member

drill out the front mech guide?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers NW & i ache – i cant remember what i did with the mparts ones, dont really fancy supergluing to the frame, but its an option if it works i reckon!

sounds like a pretty good solution I ache – a pic(s), would be appreciated! i need some inspration, as my under the seat lever is a bit deadly around new places, especially trail centres where i dont know whats coming

Northwind

FWIW superglue is very easy to remove later- or at least, the nice gel stuff is, it chips off like cement off a brick.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ndthorton – i did think about that too as an option, its out of warranty now anyways, but knowing my luck/skill ill drill through the top tube! that would be a perfect solution, cant understand why they bothered with a tiny section of cable exposed in the first place!

missnotax
    Free Member

Yep, I used the CRC ones too – looks ok (as well as a gravity dropper can look!) and works a treat 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

NW just sort of standard loctite super glue? the sort that sticks your fingers together? 🙂

nick1962
    Free Member

My Reverb came with little black plastic clips that clip cable to cable,so attached mine to my brake and/or gear cables/hoses.A picture would help I know.

ndthornton
    Free Member

my under the seat lever is a bit deadly

wow – deadly
    how did we survive before dropper posts ??

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i know gnarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr isnt it??!?! 😉

i know what ya mean though and i agree, just laziness i suppose (and bad riding) those XC whippets with seats up there arse sure put us to shame 🙁

ndthornton
    Free Member

hippocrite warning!!!
    I have a dropper post – on my fun bike – and not a cable opporated one though.
    Beware – the number of times iv been riding with people who’s posts have locked in the up or down position due to grit in the cable or cold temperatures….
    Personally Im happy with my lever 🙂

Although for complete reliability you could try one of those new fangled fixed seatposts…..

Northwind

Oscillate Wildly – Member

NW just sort of standard loctite super glue? the sort that sticks your fingers together?

Well, I use the gel stuff as it’s easier to work with. But yup, the sort that sticks yourself to yourself.

Underseat lever is worse than just not having a dropper post, at least with a standard post you’re not tempted to try and drop it at inappropriate times.

ndthornton
    Free Member

at least with a standard post you’re not tempted to try and drop it at inappropriate times.

thats where antisipation and self control comes in

DeeJay
    Free Member

The solution is HERE 😀

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=245

Would these work for you? I use them to mount hydraulic hose on a frame with mounts for cable brakes.

oregon29
    Free Member

It depends on which dropper you’re using but if it’s cable actuated why not cut the housing to fit the cable stops on the frame and not run full housing. I did this on my old blur lt with a gravity dropper post and no front derailuer. It gave a super crisp lever feel though I was careful to seal the cables they didn’t get gunked up.

If you’ve got a reverb i’d protect the frame with some of that clear protective tape or I like the fuzzy backside of velcro and then just run a zip tie all the way around the tube.

honourablegeorge

Two years with the M-Part ones, no hassle so far.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers for the input guys – i do like the idea of a lever as it means it can be stored inside etc, i like the look of the lev though, thats whats making me think…..

reverb would be lovely but not available in my size (the lev is due out new year in 27.2)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Zip tie and a bit of camelpack hose (or other tin tubing).

thread the tie through the hose, around the cable, back though the hose,arround the frame and zip it up.

Voila, secured cable and looks neat to boot. Also works really well for front brakes on fork lowers. If you haven’t got any hose, a second zip tie works quite well.

Or use 3 zip ties, one arroudn the frame, one arround the hose and one holding them together. The beuty of this method is the one arround the hose can be as slack as you like, allowing the hose to pass through as the suspension moves or the post drops.

mark90
    Free Member

Zip tie and a bit of camelpack hose (or other tin tubing).

thread the tie through the hose, around the cable, back though the hose,arround the frame and zip it up.

+1

No dropper post here, but that’s how I do my fork lowers.

JoeG
    Free Member

One of these?

waspfactory191
    Free Member
    Tracey

Specialized seat collar has a grove in it to allow cable to move up and down

Our girls bikes have them zip tied to existing gear cables and they work fine

timmys

Mparts worked for me.

They came unstuck but it was the sticky pad detaching from the black plastic (sticky pad still stuck firmly to frame). Therefore I just superglued the black plastic to the sticky pad – no superglueing of frame required.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I forgot about this. Here is my solution to ensure the hose stays in a straight line.

P1010441 by i_ache, on Flickr

P1010442 by i_ache, on Flickr

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Show me your dropper post cable solutions (or help!)’ is closed to new replies.