Show me your downhill bikes. need inspiration…..

Home Forum Bike Forum Show me your downhill bikes. need inspiration…..

Viewing 37 posts - 46 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • Show me your downhill bikes. need inspiration…..
  • gazc

here’s my 224 when it arrived last year. taking it to chopwell to session the new dh stuff at the bottom tonight 😀

xiphon

Hob Nob – my frames from 2002, and when matched with boxxers (2004), it rides fantastically. 7″ travel front, 7.5″ rear.

rocketman

rocketman, what bike is it? Looks cool.

Thanks grum it’s a Scott Voltage FR20

Really want a DH bike but can’t justify it at the mo

The Voltage won’t bulldoze its way downhill like a real DH bike but it’s slack enough to feel stable and at the same time short enough to feel fairly agile for what it is. If you’re looking for something to ride to-and-from the hill and then throw it down the hill over and over and over again without having to rebuild it every time it’s a tough little bike.

grum

Cheers folks – yeah quite tempting to get a cheap DH bike, especially cos I really want to go back to the Alps this summer. The thing is, my only mountain bike is a Pitch now with 36 Vans and coil shock, so it’s pretty much a ‘freeride’ bike anyway.

I’m quite happy to ride it up hills in the Lakes etc but I sometimes wonder if I would be better off having a more sensible XC bike and a dedicated DH/freeride bike for uplift days/bike parks. Trouble is there’s no decent uplift stuff anywhere near me that I know of. Pretty sure the missus wouldn’t be too impressed either 🙂

grum – Member
    Cheers folks – yeah quite tempting to get a cheap DH bike, especially cos I really want to go back to the Alps this summer. The thing is, my only mountain bike is a Pitch now with 36 Vans and coil shock, so it’s pretty much a ‘freeride’ bike anyway.

I’m quite happy to ride it up hills in the Lakes etc but I sometimes wonder if I would be better off having a more sensible XC bike and a dedicated DH/freeride bike for uplift days/bike parks. Trouble is there’s no decent uplift stuff anywhere near me that I know of. Pretty sure the missus wouldn’t be too impressed either

Plan A – Just one bike: Total bikes – 1
    Plan B – XC Bike & DH Bike: Total bikes – 2

Plan B is clearly better, by 1 full bike. Can’t argue it. It’s SCIENCE.

Plan A – Just one bike: Total bikes – 1
    Plan B – XC Bike & DH Bike: Total bikes – 2

Plan B is clearly better, by 1 full bike. Can’t argue it. It’s SCIENCE.

It’s also MATHS. You can’t argue with maths AND science.

grum

Hmm it’s difficult to find a flaw in that logic – I’m sure the missus will find it convincing too. 🙂

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Trek Session 88, built up for around £1.5k.

Only used it at Aston and Woburn so far I’m ashamed to say, keen to see some bigger hills this summer if I ever get a day off work though…

grum – Member

Hmm it’s difficult to find a flaw in that logic – I’m sure the missus will find it convincing too.

Plan A – Just the Missus: Total ladies – 1
    Plan B – The Missus, and a yound bit ont he side: Total ladies – 2

SCIENCE.

rocketman

Hmm it’s difficult to find a flaw in that logic – I’m sure the missus will find it convincing too.

Mention that your Pitch is ‘dangerous’ or somehow unsafe for FR/DH, or alternatively go on for weeks about a carbon V10/Session or some other megabuck DH bike, wait until it blows up into an argument then capitulate and ‘settle’ for the bike you wanted in the first place.

Aim high shoot low etc it works every time

rocketman

or use sex as a weapon, see who cracks first 🙂

spudnick

no pics as yet but ive just got a Norco A Line and its wicked. 888 Bombers up front (very plush)and super stable at speed. will post some up as soon as i get chance

nick

As per Carlosg – as much bike as I need, although I did figure out I needed a bigger size so this frame’s up for grabs…

Gazc – I s was going to say taking a spangly clean 224 to Chopwell was a bit of a waste – but then I heard “new stuff” would be interesting to know how new

grum

rocketman – the ‘safety’ argument is always good. I like your other persuasion techniques too 🙂

finners

Some nice looking bikes here. Keep em coming…..

Wibble89 – 3 months in the Alps?!! 😯 what are your plans? jealous….

gazc

oliverd1981 – ha no problem i do feel its a bit extravagant taking my dh bike there but i only ride the steeper stuff at the bottom on it really as its good fun. if you know the area the old jump trail at the bottom of the woods has been rebuilt relatively recently after tree felling, plenty of other lines with reasonable drops off the side too (including gap jumps which you will certainly want a bit of squish). there’s a good newish (to me anyway) trail which starts further back up the ridge past the gate near the houses. steep with tricky corners definitely not like the usual chopwell trail! 🙂

gazc

ps: it ain’t so spangly now! 😆

mildred

Pretty sure the missus wouldn’t be too impressed either

Is anyone else hearing dolphin noises…?

Premier Icon Woody
    Subscriber

that Orange is probably the ugliest bike i’ve ever seen

Not any more………………

’99 Trek DH Pro – mercifully not built up at the moment. One day I shall once again inflict it on the general public 😳

_tom_

the world of jacked up BB heights & wacky head angles, which isn’t much fun on a DH bike.

Dunno I find it pretty fun! Think my fs has the same wheelbase as my hardtail, higher bb and a slightly slacker head angle though it’s still about 68/69 degrees. Such a fun bike to ride, I don’t think I’d like it as much if it just ploughed through everything and took more effort to jump with.

xiphon

The Orange is a bit marmite…..

kimbers – Member

2006 kona stinky got the frame mega cheap on pinkbike, got the rear tuned by loco- made a big difference to the ride, everything else s/h or on sale, apart from the wheels pro2 on mavic freeridey rims rather than full on dh, ifly saddle, lg1+ guide etc managed to get the weight under 40lbs
    use it for general mucking about as well as uplifts and the odd race, did the mega on it last year with a gravity dropper, FOD uplift in a couple of weeks and morzine in july- cant wait!

Nice theft of my photo there Kimbers, I’ll email you an invoice for usage of it.

rocketman

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh my eyes

peterfile

Cove Shocker DH

This bike broke more bones in one accident than all my other bikes put together over my life. Oh wait a minute, the bike didn’t actually do anything, I just can’t ride for toffee 🙂

Kit

Nice theft of my photo there Kimbers, I’ll email you an invoice for usage of it.

*Chuckle* You know fine well that your photos on the Roots and Rain website will get nabbed, which is why you go to the bother of extensively watermarking them. Thus, when someone doesn’t buy one it’s obvious where the photo came from (took me a couple of minutes to find the original), or who took it/owns the copyright. Presumably after you’ve threatened him and he’s paid up, you’ll send him a nice, full-size, non-watermarked photo which he can proudly display without all the extra gubbins on it? 🙂

TheSwede

Not a DH bike but hey ho. It’s what Ive got for the job. Budget toy.

xiphon

That white Cover Shocker is really nice

Photographer in misplaced sense of entitlement *shocker*

Agreed about the shocker, looks awesome…….
    And I thought I was happy with just getting the g spot sorted out.

Hmm photographer is whinging about someone show a pic of his with massive watermarking? Guess being a stroppy photographer is going to help loads with selling!

Wibble89

finners – Member

Some nice looking bikes here. Keep em coming…..

Wibble89 – 3 months in the Alps?!! what are your plans? jealous….

Working as a bike mechanic. Going to be hard work building up near 200 bikes at the start of the season and checking over/ servicing them twice a week but half a days riding every day and the odd day off will make it all worth while. I’ve got a friend who is also going out for 3 months but he’s not working as he is living off a game he made for android phones, lucky ****.

finners

Jesus, a whole computing degree and all i had to do instead was design an app!?! Well done that man. What shop / where you working in? May pop in and say hello.

sluff

Haven’t even had a spin on Penelope yet, back home in a few weeks so she’s coming out then!

dans160

My M9. It’s fantastic!

finners

Sunday evening bunch?

Oh my, that m9 is rather nice.

Viewing 37 posts - 46 through 82 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Show me your downhill bikes. need inspiration…..’ is closed to new replies.