Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Show me your Decking!
  • Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

We have an untidy bit of patio between the back of the house and the garden. A step down from the patio doors, 1 stride then a step up to the garden. It is old and the area is really crying out for some decking so that we can step out onto Decking and walk straight onto the garden.
    For some unclear reason Mrs Surfer is not a fan but I know you lot will have some incredible examples that will enable me to convince her it will look absolutely smashing and I can get on with creating a masterpiece 🙂

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I love decking.

I love building decking.

Folk will tell you its slippy – they don’t treat it properly – Decking oil is the answer.

Do it.

Premier Icon perchypanther
    Free Member

i’ve lost count of the number of people who tell me that I need decking.

Premier Icon uwe-r
    Free Member

There was a thread recently on the merits of block supports v’s wooden posts. I’m in the wooden posts camp. I’m just about finishing mine that I started last August. Its great. Soz no photos, will have to take some.

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

Looking forward to inspirational pics. My little Elfin safety/QC manager is ready to go…

null

Maybe not ideal having sheds on it, but I’ll be long gone before it rots. There is PLENTY of support underneath. Colour is getting changed though – it’s ready for re-treating. There is going to be some seating and a gas fire pit where the bird table is

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j3ScsN]2020-05-20_02-22-40[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

Cheers, thats a nice garden with a good patio example 🙂

Premier Icon sadexpunk

before……

after.
    its a constant work in progress, built a deck in front of the gazebo last year. now got a ‘west deck’ and an ‘east deck’ 😀

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

@sadexpunk I watched it keenly first time around 🙂 Good job!

This is mine but still bits to finish off…

Whats the consensus on wood vs composite???? Pros and cons??

null

Premier Icon uwe-r
    Free Member

Whats the consensus on wood vs composite???? Pros and cons??

We did not want soft wood at first. Tried to find a hardwood option, nothing available – everyone tried to sell us composite (plastic).

Looked into composite, there is a wide range in price, cheap shit that looked nasty to nice stuff that comes with its own clip fitting systems and fancy trim pieces. However the price of something nice in composite was so much over the price of soft wood that we ended up going for soft wood. It might only last ten years but it was less than half the price and I could replace the actual deck in a couple of days, its the frame that takes all the time.

Premier Icon rossburton

I will gladly rip up our large deck and replace it with a decent patio given how much effort it takes to maintain. The previous owner decided to treat the softwood decking boards with a dark oak paint, which combined with dogs means it flakes off. I tried to strip it all back and treat with neutral oil but it’s a nightmare job removing the paint from the grooves. So now we just spend too much time and money stripping back what we can and repainting every winter. Seriously, one day we’ll just rip the entire thing up and extend the existing sandstone.

Free Member

Aye, paint or stain is a stupid idea, does nothing for it.

Oil once a year in spring, I pressure wash first, which takes 10 minutes, then about 2 hours on a warm day for 2 coats of oil.

Job done.

Premier Icon Tiger6791

Just remember Rats also love decking 👍

Free Member

As well as sheds, house foundations, garages, lofts…..

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

Just remember Rats also love decking

This is one of Mrs Surfers fears. Is it a problem? How do people manage this risk??? We had a Lakeland Terrier who was daft as a brush but did retain her hate of very small animals (died a few months ago) but our Spaniel would make friends.

Premier Icon Ro5ey
    Free Member

Porcelain pavers on pedal stools

Double smart, Mrs Surfer will love em, and a piece of pee to install (just hire a decent petrol angle grinder) non-slip, will not need replacing in 10 years and no maintenance (maybe a jet wash once in a while)

Good luck

Premier Icon alpin

Have been doing quite a few decking jobs recently (thanks to everyone sitting in their garden and having holiday money to spare).

Don’t bother with riffled boards. Collects crap and water sits there. It doesn’t really offer more grip, but does offer greater chances of getting a splinter in your big toe.

Don’t go for Douglas fir. It might be cheaper and doesn’t run with sap, but it’s a crap, quick growing wood. The sap essentially protects the wood over time.

Sibirien larch is good. Tight/slow growth thanks to high latitudes.

Personally I like flat, brushed boards.

Use at least A2 quality stainless steel screws or else you’ll have rings around each screw as the acid in the woods reacts with the steel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_M7cMxn1Pf/?igshid=5tdlxfw367hb

Premier Icon benjamins11
    Free Member

null

Premier Icon benjamins11
    Free Member

Was a bit of a faff to make, but adds so much space to the back of the house. Millboard composite decking bought as seconds from ebay so its only really pricey, not really really pricey.

Premier Icon creakingdoor
    Free Member

Out of interest, and as I’m starting my decking on Saturday, what is the STW hive-mind view on putting decking tape over the joists prior to fitting the deck boards? There’s lots of opinions on-line saying it’s a good idea and considerably extends the lifespan of the joists, but for what I’m planning it’ll add another £300 to an already expensive deck. The alternative is to paint the joist tops with Black-Jack bituminous paint (£20 in Toolstation), which has the added benefit of meaning that the tanalised joists are not too noticeable between the deck boards. I know lots of builders use blackjack paint when waterproofing, but have never used it myself.
    As with all important life decisons, over to you lot!

Premier Icon midlifecrashes

You want decking https://imgur.com/gallery/cvDaHCv

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.