Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Show me your CX bikes.
  • mocha
    Free Member

Mine new one is about to be a Salsa Chilli Con Crosso- though my Surly Cross Check is an equally fine bike that has toured the Atlas Mountains, raced the 3 peaks and commutes 5000 miles a year.

tom84
    Free Member

do you catch your knees on that yeti’s cable stops?

resisted
    Free Member

do you catch your knees on that yeti’s cable stops?

Never had an issue, no. Not one single time. The profile of the top tube is such that the cable stops and cables sit inside a concave profile. It’s no wider than a “standard” tube all told.

never thought about it actually….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GaryLake
    Free Member

ove the cotic – tell me more – did you fit the discs? would discs be much heaver than v’s

whats it like compared to a average xc hardtail?

Yeah fitted the discs, little bit of a faff and took a bit of bedding in but pretty decent now. Power is as good as a very good V brake in the dry, does degrade a bit in the wet but no way near as much as rim brakes would. Tried to do the maths but going off manufacturers weights is dodgy at best. But I reckon the Lyras carry a half pound penalty over some Tektro cantis so not bad tbh. My X (54cm) is 23lb 7oz with Shimano 520 SPDs on. I’ve got an FSA SLK crankset on the way which should shave a half pound off. Looking to source some wheels (racey 29er wheels seem to be the way to go) and reckon there’s a pound to be lost there. So looking at 22lb without getting too silly money wise. The Conti tyres are pretty basic some maybe some Racing Ralphs would lose another half.

It’s still no mountain bike, it’s deffo a cross bike 100%. But it’s just a bit more chilled and solid (geo and build), but also has a really lively and pleasant ride to it. The video I posted on page 1 sums it up perfectly, it’s just lovely to ride.

charliedontsurf

nbt

I *think* that’s the only photo I have of mine…

h4muf
    Free Member

Heres my Uncle john,matching carbon forks are on since photo 🙂

Love it!

matthewjb
    Free Member

Here’s mine.

Not a ‘real’ CX of course.

Mostly used for a 10 mile towpath commute.

Uncle John by Matthewjb, on Flickr

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

My Empella, I use it more than all the other bikes put together.

BB

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Not strictly a cx bike but a crossish build… would love a Salsa or X This is soon to go 1×9 with discs

ironbrucove

samuri
    Free Member

Genesis Day One.
    Loving it. I’ve only had it 6 weeks or so and have done over 700 miles on it.

dayone5 by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

AlasdairMc

I don’t have any pics of mine, but it’s the Ultegra Cube on the first page. Lovely bike, although I hate the FSA cranks with a passion!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

BB, really like your Empella. Where did you get it from?

qwerty
    Free Member

mine when it was new:

SS’d with a WI Eccentric Eric, it loved the mud, rims lasted two winters before conceeding to scary levels of concaveness

a little raddish:

(that Hope Mono front hub laced radially to an OpenPro is superduper light combo! – for me anyhows)

now undergoing a gear transplant with black 105 and Aksiums – i’ll post once the surgery is completed

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Focus Mares, by far my most ridden bike since owning it

benslow
    Free Member

Am looking to get a CX bike myself.

Do you think the 2012 models will have a load of disc brake options as per the UCI ruling in 2010 ?

So far it seems to be only Boardman and a couple of Focus models ?

Reckon its worth waiting …

Rorschach
    Free Member

Descending Pen Y Ghent at the 3 peaks last year.

mckeown
    Free Member

I have a genesis cdf. resilient steed that it is.

http://www.realcycles.com/products.php?plid=m37b0s199p2459
    Discs instantly make sense when off road i must say…

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Gwerty

is that front hub strong enough for radial. I remeber Hope used to do a specific hub for radial as people ripped the flanges out of normal hubs (I did it twice)

Rorschach – good skils, and there was I thinking you just pottered round BMX tracks having fun.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Taa…the bmx track thing is my warm up for the crit race about an hour later!
    I also potter round the nwcca race courses in the winter 😆

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Crits as well…….

North west is mint for crits, salt ayre, litherland, preston (the carbon graveyard), tameside and the town centre ones as well (blackpool, rochdale etc).

Its all cycling to me 🙂

Digger90
    Free Member

If this thread has whetted anyone’s appetite for a Cotic X I have one going cheap here

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cotic-x-56cms-brand-new-1

I will shortly have all the parts required to build it as a complete bike for approx £600 too..

qwerty
    Free Member

Qwerty
    is that front hub strong enough for radial. I remeber Hope used to do a specific hub for radial as people ripped the flanges out of normal hubs (I did it twice)

its worked out fine for me, been built up on a 26″ and 700c SS and a used for trail riding for years on both bikes, maybe i’m not gnarr enough 😉

49cm JtS now with added gears:

i loved it as a trail bike built up SS but its now had a make over (12/27 & 34/46) to get me up some Cotswold hills

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If I must….

I know, wall needs attention drive needs weeding etc. etc.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I know, wall needs attention drive needs weeding etc. etc.

Actually it was the green stem I was going to mention 😉

colnagokid

Columbus x-wing, Ultegra, mavic Reflex tub rims
    Pic when just built up so now has a chain and a different seatpost

Columbus X Wing by greyhoundjim, on Flickr

vegasdave
    Free Member

Some very nice bikes here,the Yeti looks the best…but no discs.

OCB
    Free Member

Good thread, some very nice stuff on here.
    (He says, whilst, avoiding the temptation to push this too far into MCX territory with [another] picture of the Peregrine, which is perfectly suited to ‘what’s down that track’ exploration style of riding, if not quite the ‘best’ bike for purely racing on). 😉

Top.Dog
    Free Member

Revolution Cross Sport 2010
    Used mainly for my daily commute

rossrobot
    Free Member

As an aside what kind of tyres do most of you use for general riding?
    I’m still using the conti cyclocross tyres that came with mine as they’re fast on road and can handle basic singletrack. I’m getting a lot of punctures though so I’m thinking of getting something more knobbly but wondered how much slower i’ll be when getting to and from the trails on roads.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Same as you Ross – but punctures have only been when getting a bit silly in terms of riding trails. Although found they’ve worn really quick, mine are slicks down the middle almost after a few hundred miles.

rossrobot
    Free Member

Indeed – I always get punctures when I lose concentration and go smashing into roots. Looking at the Maxxis Raze – seems like a good mix of fast running with mud-friendly knobbles.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I run some horrid Kenda tyres for normal training, messing around rides and last season raced with Michelin Mud two’s. No punctures from either so far….

This year I might well go tubs for racing

Surfr
    Free Member
    fontmoss
    Free Member

reminds me I’ve not been on the cross bike in ages, that will need to be remedied next week

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Show me your CX bikes.’ is closed to new replies.