Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Show me your Christmas Airfix…
  • goon
    Free Member

Whoops! Sorry harry.

Nice one Sausagefingers.

Harry_the_Spider

Not much progress here.

The first batch of clear coat was a dud. It should have been satin but it came out matt with a yellow tinge. I tried another tin and it was much better. I just need to build up the enthusiasm to do the weapons and attach them to the pylons.

The next job however is me and the boy doing his quickbuild Spitfire.

Good looking kit there sausagefingers.

sausagefingers
    Free Member

Harry,what size is that? If it’s 1/72 like my Tornado there is no way I’m going to try hat scale again – ever.
    The parts were just too small for my fat fingers and the decals!! I couldn’t even see most of them and I wear specs.
    Goon – any more pics of your helicopter? That looks like really top work 8)
    I stuck the decals on the tank up there ^^ but if you look you can see the shiny backing,it looks a right mess.I was aiming for a slightly weathered look but once I started I couldn’t stop even when I knew it was too much I just carried on.
    I wanted to do a wash over the top but didn’t have a clue how to go about it
    The kits are cheap but I’ve spent a bloody fortune on paints and all the gubbins.It’s worth it though as i find it a real stress buster.
    Onwards and upwards,I’ve just started a Tamiya Bradley tank and compared to the 2 Revell kits I’ve attempted it’s far better quality and goes together really well.Pics to follow 😀

Harry_the_Spider

1/72. Couldn’t be bothered with the decals that I couldn’t properly see.

goon
    Free Member

Sausagefingers – This is the finished door gun and spent cartridge basket.

Sludge wash to bring out the panel lines.

sausagefingers
    Free Member

That looks great,how do you do the wash? is it just thinned down paint then wiped off or do you leave it on?
    cheers

goon
    Free Member

I use Flory Models sludge washes. It’s like very fine clay in suspension. You let it dry then wipe off with damp kitchen paper, leaving some behind in the recesses. You can do it the way you describe, but I like the Flory stuff as if you don’t like it it will all come off without affecting the paint work.

john_drummer
    Free Member

to get the decals to blend in with the paintwork, I give my models a coat of clear gloss before adding the decals; apply the decals when the gloss coat has set; then give another coat of clear – matt if it’s military, gloss if it’s a car or motorcycle.
    then if I remember, I’ll do some weathering…

sausagefingers
    Free Member

Cheers Goon,something else to add to the shopping list.
    Thanks for the tip John,my decals look bloody woeful

Harry_the_Spider

At the other end of the spectrum…

Me and the boy have just made a couple of Airfix Quickbuilds. Note that I’m wearing my decorating shirt.

£15 for the pair of them from Amazon. I have to say that they are very good value.

goon
    Free Member

goon, as an ex Fleet Air Arm helicopter mechanic, can i just say that Lynx is incredibly well detailed.

Cheers wee-al. For some reason I’ve only just seen your comment. Nice to have work validated by someone in the know.

crankboy
    Free Member

good transfers improve a badly made model

Drac

Cool! Karl Pilkington in a ST T-shirt.

goon
    Free Member

Finished!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Canny that like.

AD

That is top work – very impressive!

matt_outandabout

Brilliant work. As a non-completere finisher, I am deeply impresses at anyone with the time and persistence to do that.

njee20
    Free Member

Very nice!

goon
    Free Member

Cheers kids. Argentine A-4Q conversion next.

redthunder
    Free Member

Not Airfix… but my army grows.

All because my Dad said when I was kid if you look after the British Waterloo Officer he would buy me the regiment.

I did, but 30 odd years later I still had’nt got my regiment. Then Ebay came along Mmmm. So I started doing the recruiting myself 🙂

The plastic legion is still growing…

The original soldier is the faded one.

P1020597 by SGMTB, on Flickr

My Army by SGMTB, on Flickr

redthunder
    Free Member
    Harry_the_Spider

Just a bump to bring this back to life.

My Typhoon has remained unfinished in the box for 11 months. If I get some spare time this week I may actually get it done!

Did anybody else get any models for Christmas?

john_drummer
    Free Member

Nope but i have been working on a Revell 1:32 sea lynx – like the one above by goon – for some time. May even finish it soon. Won’t be to that standard though. Requires a serious airbrush job mind

crankboy
    Free Member

northernmatt

I have a Revell Ford Focus WRC that I have just found again after 4-5years, took it out the box then realised why it was unfinished, it only came with 3 wheels. 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

I have an R8 I started some years ago that I must resurrect and several model railway projects in various states of completion!

crankboy
    Free Member

I have an rh8 and a whale to do next they were my first ever kits as a dog fight double taken ages to remember and a while to source ..

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Let’s get this thread going properly. My christmas project was a Sea Vixen, which had been gathering dust for about 8 yrs since I last built a model.

Viewing 28 posts - 81 through 108 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Christmas Airfix…’ is closed to new replies.