Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Show me your bike storage solutions.
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

We have a garage, but its so full of bikes I need to store them to make better use of floor space.
    Bit of a first world problem I know.

What have you guys come up with?

doubledunter
    Free Member

Digger90
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I got some wall mounted bike racks from class olsen, they hold about 2 bikes each so I can get 8 in the garrage (2 racks on each wall) and still get the car in.

Gunz
    Free Member

Ladder hooks from B&Q or similar cost about £1 each, just hook your front wheel in them, hey presto.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Ive recently bought a pulley system from Lidl, not tried it yet but for a fiver it has to be worth a try…

feenster
    Free Member

Hanging bike verically by front wheel by hook is best imo. If horizontal space is an issue, go for two battons at different heights, then alternate the hooks between the two.

–?—?—?—?—?
    ?—?—?—?—?–

scruff
    Free Member

My garage is narrow, have shelving and workbench on 1 side, 2 bikes on horizontal racks high on opposite wall, 2 on floor underneath- both locked with anchors.

ourmaninthenorth

No pics…. so I’ll try to describe.

All mine are wall mounted – I have an asbestos ceiling in my garage, so can’t touch it. Total storage area for bikes is one wall approx 12ft(l)x8ft(h). Depth is c.3ft.

I use these for 5 bikes (come in road and MTB flavours). Rear wheel sits on the ground for each bike to take the strain off the wall.. 3 of them are MTBs stored in a space less than 3ft across – just loosen the stem and twist the bars.

And something similar to this for 2 bikes (I have 2 separate racks) from B&Q – these hang the bikes above the vertically stored bikes.

Stoner
    Free Member

Like OMITN’s hooks ^

womble72
    Free Member

Is it ok to hang your bike by its wheel without damage to the rim?

Stoner
    Free Member

what kind of damage would you be expecting?

womble72
    Free Member

I don’t frikkin know, that’s why I asked the question 🙂

organic355
    Free Member

I dint think hanging them like that was good for suspension forks, especially if they are oil?

turtleheading
    Free Member

I thought it was good for the forks to be upside down, as the oil drains through the fork lubricating etc. If the brake calipers are above the levers then any air in the system will work its way up, causing a drop in braking performance. It sorted itself out for me once they were the correct way up, but a mate of mine had to get his rebled.

nealy
    Free Member

My bike is always stored hanging by the front wheel, it did mess the brakes up when there was air in the system so I bled them properly solving the problem and resulting in significantly better brakes…simples 😀 Also as turtlegeading said storing the forks upside down is much better as it lubes the upper bushes and seals.

bentudder

The only exception to the fork rule is early Rebas and Revelations. Rock Shox had an O ring on the gate dial (the gold knob on top of the blue compression knob) that was a bit feeble, and consequently a little oil used to weep out. Not a big deal, except that the oil cart it was leaking from isn’t that big itself, and oddness occurred (according to TF Tuned) if too much was lost. I had three Reba-based forks at the time with the problem, and none of them exhibited aforementioned oddness, although I did end up storing them wheels down.

I currently store four mountain bikes front wheel up in a shed. Nary a problem, but I should say that the nice cheap hooks from Wickes, B&Q and the rest are a little narrow for bigger tyres or rims – I’ve got a pair of Easton Havocs with 2.25 Advantages on them, and that can be a tight squeeze. It’s also easy to knock the rubber coating off the tips of the hooks, so watch you don’t end up scoring your rims. That said, a replacement hook is a quid…

deus

We have 2 of these, from wiggle, in the house holding 4 bikes.

when we get a garage i’ll get my brother to make me some nice hooks ‘cos he’s a blacksmith

hoojum
    Free Member

I’ve no shed so bikes have to be stored in the house. I had planned on using these but I need to get 2 bikes on a rack, so I opted for basic Halfords racks.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Show me your bike storage solutions.’ is closed to new replies.