Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Show me your bike hanging solutions?
  • cbike
    Free Member

AlexSimon

stumpy01 – Member
    Any idea on the arm spacing?

500mm centres and 30mm diameter arms.

It actually works out pretty well even though they aren’t both under the top tubes.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Have you looked round Ikea Hackers, loads of good ideas.

Home

stumpy01

cbike, liking that method.

AlexSimon, cheers for the measurements. Will get the tape measure out…!

docstar
    Free Member

. I just hang them on the joists by the seat over to one side of the garage.

MrOvershoot

greenbailiwick
    Free Member

I had a couple of Cycloc Solos in the wall in my old place but only have 2 bikes. I liked that I could lock my bikes to the wall.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Mrovershoot loving the duncs house shed for the bikes dude proper man cave

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Won’t hanging bikes by the forks put pressure on the bushings? Likewise, by the saddles be bad for dropper post internals?

D0NK

getting mancave envy, especially mroversahoot who appears to have a sauna in there aswell 🙂

donk they had them stands in aldi iirc they were £30

yeah I know 🙁

Hadn’t thought about the fork bushings but as GD says I’d be concerned about hanging bikes that have dropper posts from the saddle.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Has anyone done anything like THIS? If so what are the pros and cons? Thanks

granny_ring

What a good idea, cant make out what the straps are and how fixed to the wall.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use Tusk wall mounts but the Tusk business is up for sale and they’re not selling anything at the moment.

[/url]Untitled by gary.maclean.31, on Flickr[/img]

richmtb

Won’t hanging bikes by the forks put pressure on the bushings? Likewise, by the saddles be bad for dropper post internals?

What sort of force does an empty bike hanging from its front wheel generate for the fork bushes versus it been ridden fast over rough terrain with a 14 stone bloke on board?

Ditto the dropper.

ant77
    Free Member

Have only got a couple of bikes, so one is suspended above the other by a standard bike hook.
    Then this – Shed Shackle – secures them to the wall with a couple of heavy duty chains and locks… Seems pretty secure. They’re not getting the unit off the wall without a massive amount of grief and noise…

skindog
    Free Member

Has anyone good a good idea for a tandem?

scotroutes

A high ceiling and a tall wall?

TiRed

Has anyone good a good idea for a tandem?

I hang both of mine from plastic screw in hooks screwed into joists. Define “good”? Most of the other 16 bikes are also hung from these hooks, either in joists or on a decent piece of batten bolted to the remaining wall space.

colournoise

Simple hooks, but alternating right way / upside down saved some space.

chipster

granny_ring – Member
    What a good idea, cant make out what the straps are and how fixed to the wall.

The straps look like bungees (they won’t scratch the top tube). I imagine they’re hooked into decent sized eyes or staples. Not a bad idea, but you’ll need a lot of wall space for more than one or two bikes.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

A combination of wall brackets up high and wheel brackets down below with bikes slotted between upper and lower to pack them in tight. Also closer for locking together and padlocks etc

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

@colournoise – I hung my bikes like that, but they took up more room than was necessary. I’ve now got them hung in about half the space by removing the front wheel and hanging from the front axle. By turning the bars you get them in about 30cm of space per bike. I bought s-hooks from eBay and just hang the front wheel from the stem, to get the wheels out of the way.

Worth considering if you need to save more space.

frood
    Free Member

skindog… if you have a staircase like my parents

maccruiskeen

Has anyone done anything like THIS? If so what are the pros and cons? Thanks

A con would be not being tall enough to reach the strap on the top bike

JEngledow
    Free Member

Paulrockliffe – are your bikes all thru axle? Would your method work with QR axles?

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

How come y’all got so many bikes?

Daffy

jaffejoffer – Member
    How come y’all got so many bikes?

Too much disposable income coupled + ingenious ways of maximisng space = more bikes.

Most of the above (judging by the clean tyres) are just wall art. 🙂

honourablegeorge
    paulrockliffe
    Free Member

One of my bikes is QR, I’ve used the same method with it and it seems OK.

The hook goes around the QR axle, but it sits against the inside edge of the fork, so the weight isn’t really on the axle itself. Mine certainly hasn’t bent yet anyway.

It’s more of a faff for QR as you have to remove wheel, remove axle from wheel and reverse each time you ride. You also need to bear in mind that without the wheel in a QR axle you can squash the two legs together by over-tightening the QR. Just do it tight enough that the safety tabs hold the axle in and don’t worry that the cam action isn’t overly tight, it’s your fork legs flexing.

If you have the space and can’t be arsed taking wheels off I can see the merits of leaving the wheels on, but if you’d rather use the room for something else it’s much better. You can also mount the bikes up higher as they’re not as long with the wheels off and if you’re putting them up into a roof space you can go higher again without the wheel hitting your tiles.

If you get them high enough then you could build a wheeled chest to sit under them that you can keep all your tools and kit in and incorporate a step so you can reach the bikes down easier. That was my plan, but I’ve since moved them to my gable wall and use a ladder to lift them up and down, so now they take up no floor space at all.

Daffy

honourablegeorge – Member
    Neat wee thing

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/01/22/found-clug-the-worlds-smallest-bike-rack/

THAT could be just about perfect!

fruitbat

This is my solution:
    [/url]Wall Rack by fruitbat2008, on Flickr[/img]

mrbotticelli

@TheTallman

Like the look of that solution, have been thinking about something similar as I need to get 7 bikes across an 8 foot wall.

The wall is really only accessible from the middle 4 feet, think of the space as T shaped with access only possible from the vertical part of the T.

So I’m curious:

– How easy are the hooks to slide with bikes on, can you push and pull them?
    – Where did you get the hooks? I’m thinking of different lengths to allow close hanging.

Anything you’d do differently?

Hopefully get this sorted at the weekend so I can use the rest of the space.

Cheers

Daffy

Well, it’s done, but funding restrictions forced me into a cheaper solution than I’d have ideally liked.

£45 all in with eight on the wall and one still to hang.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

A bit late to the party, but…

When we built an extension to the house, we worked out that we could dig back under a top-storey only room. So we did. And I got underground bike storage.

Hooks are just plain old screw in plastic coated – onto 4×2 which is thunderbolted to the block wall. Had to chisel out scoops for the wheel to sit in.

dufusdip
    Free Member

I put hooks into the beams in the roof but keep finding that the brakes were dreadful and very quickly after they had been bled.

Anyone have similar problems with vertical mounting? Brake issue? User bleeding issue?

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Show me your bike hanging solutions?’ is closed to new replies.