Show me your Bfe

Home Forum Bike Forum Show me your Bfe

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Show me your Bfe
  • sharkattack

Just humour me please.

I have a brand new black grape Bfe sitting half built in the garage. It’s stuck this way due to chronic financial retardation.

Still not sure how I’m going to finish it off in terms of forks, bars and stem etc. so I’m open to inspiration.

I have a mate selling some Fox 36’s but they may be a little on the porky side. I’d like to see one with a nice fat fork if possible.

Thanks

chvck

It’s now a singlespeed with Pikes and 780 bars. I usually used the Lyriks wound down to around 125mm, they’re now on my full sus though.

ryderredman

I would do but mines not finished either! Might be later on today though should Loco have sent bolts for my fork and ribble having sent pedals!

Rickos

Not fat forks, but still…

Untitled by Rick T., on Flickr

sharkattack

Doesn’t look too bad at all with those Lyriks fitted. Not that I’m a tart but I thought they’d be grossly out of proportion.

I have a choice of 36’s and Lyriks locally so I might look into it more.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Not fat forks either, but any excuse.

Scamper

34mm Slants at 130/160. Perfect with 740mm fatbar lite and 55mm haven stem

Mine built up with 150 Pikes, 40mm Chromag Ranger stem and Chromag Fubars cut to 760. Hooligan of a bike. Love it.

h4muf

BFe by h4muf, on Flickr

Here you go. 50mm rise bars, 60mm stem and pikes

Premier Icon momo
    Subscriber

My bright green large with 36’s

BFe by le_grande_momo, on Flickr

Back on 32’s now as the 36’s have gone on the big bike

My quiver of dirty bikes by le_grande_momo, on Flickr

Premier Icon bullroar
    Subscriber

Sticks Pass last February

sharkattack

Thanks for these pictures. I appreciate them. I am currently in an advanced state of refreshment. Day dreaming of bike rides

ginge24

Rubbish picture doesn’t do her justice

Freester

Oooooh don’t they all look good.

tobsters

ginge24, whats with the unconventional non-drive side chain protector?

matther01

Tobsters – heel rub maybe?

ginge24

Tobsters – I scratched the paint a little bit,Nothing to major but I know it’s there so I put it on to cover it as the drive side already has tape on it.

Freester

This is an itch I keep wanting to scratch.

Currently running a 456 Summer Season with old style 110-140 Pikes. I love this bike.

Thinking about a straight swap of frame to a BFE… Similar style and feel of bike?

racefaceec90

just out of interest how are they for normal (non x games type riding 😉

are they comfy for doing any distance on?

not that i can afford it at present (and haven’t ridden offroad for almost a year) but am thinking of upgrading my duster frame to either a soul/bfe/on one ti 456 (if funds allowed).

i would only use it for normal riding (as i’m rubbish/slow 😳

ginge24

Raceface I was going to use mine for normal riding around on local trails untill I put her up for sale.BFe’s will be fine for normal riding depending on what fork you use I reckon

racefaceec90

ah cheers ginge24 🙂

Euro

If you don’t mind me asking you BFe owners, why did you choose it over the Soul? My understanding is they are the same bike but made from different material ❓ . Do Souls tie themselves in knots over rough ground or are prone to breaking and that’s why Cotic introduced the BFe?

I’d like to own a Cotic sometime soon and the Soul is the one i’d go for but i’d be using it for all sorts of riding that would include jumps and DH stuff as well as the usual xc mincing. I’d imagine that the BFe would cope better with the jump/dh side of things but i’ve ridden some pretty rough ground and some fairly big jumps (including many crashes) on a cheapy Marin hardtail and the frame is still going strong which makes me believe the Soul should be up to the task. Thoughts?

prawny

I can think of nearly 200 reasons I would go for a bfe over a soul

ginge24

Euro-I wanted a soul but couldn’t afford the price tag as my rent was off the scale at the time so I got a BFe because it was cheaper,Not a lot of weight difference & I’m happy I got her. The BFe starts at all mountain & is built for jumping where as the soul is xc

Premier Icon amedias
    Subscriber

My understanding is they are the same bike but made from different material

not quite… the geometry is the same but the tubeset is different (cheaper and burlier) and the Bfe has a 44mm headtueb instead of tapered (used to be totally different back ends too but now more similar)

Do Souls tie themselves in knots over rough ground or are prone to breaking

nope

and that’s why Cotic introduced the BFe

Different frames for different things, Bfe is certified for 160mm forks, doesn’t mean you have to run them, or that they ride best with them but you can if you want, Soul is 140mm max.

I would imagine **most** people who bought a Bfe did so because it was a fair bit cheaper than the Soul, and for those that bought because they want the extra strength, I doubt they would have ever actually take a Soul to breaking point anyway. There are of course exceptions but the Soul is a very tough frame, where as the Bfe is a very VERY tough frame.

where as the soul is xc

Not really, it seems to have this mis-conception, its a proper tough old trail frame, it’s just that it happens to be OK as an XC bike as well

Edit – See Cy’s rant about that exact point! (02/09/2013: Soul – Tough as Old Boots)

Premier Icon orena45
    Subscriber

Euro – this might be a useful read – BFe or Soul

wukfit

I got a BFe mainly because it was cheaper, and i had 140mm forks and a Reverb to go on it which i couldn’t put on a Soul

(wanders off to take photo)

sharkattack

I just fancied a purple bike.

Premier Icon darrell
    Subscriber

ive got an old 853 battleship grey BFe and its brilliant. I bought it instead of a soul at the time to be my hard as nails trail bike. 5 or 6 years later and its still my main trail bike. Cant fault it for the style of riding round here

Scamper

Had a ‘classic’ soul before the BFe. Prefer the BFe as I could go down rough stuff easier, with my lack of skill even I could launch it off jumps and kickers, and it corners far quicker. The downside is the rear triangle just felt a little less flickable.

wukfit

As there hasn’t been a blue one posted up yet

Euro

Ah! Didn’t realise the Soul that much more expensive than the BFe. I had a quick look at the Cotic site and they were selling some discounted Souls. Unfortunately the only colour they had was orange and i couldn’t ride an orange bike.

orena45 – Member
    Euro – this might be a useful read – BFe or Soul

It was indeed, cheers.

J273

Love that blue – Wish they’d do the newer model in blue.

wukfit

Yep, I went secondhand in order to get a blue one (was spotless, don’t think it had ever been built up)
    Shame it’s about to go into storage for 6 months while I go travelling, at least it’s something to come back for

EDIT: I like the look of Black Grape, paired with new pikes with black stanchions would look nice 🙂
    2nd edit: just seen the pics of the pre builds, needs black cranks though

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Bfe’ is closed to new replies.