Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Should we all have 3rd party insurance ?
  • Saw this in the news today.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/8607929.stm
    To summarise;
    Disabled person in shop on her own scooter.
    Another shopper on a shop owned scooter shunts her in to a trolley.
    Shop worker gets hit by trolley.
    £16000 compensation/legal costs.

Something similar could happen to any of us riding near pedestrians on bridleways/tow paths/shared cycle paths.
    Come to think of it, it could be another cyclist who gets injured and claims.
    And that's before we get in the legal complications if it happens to be cheeky riding.

I think CTC provide 3rd party insurance for their members, but not many mountain bikers join the CTC.
    So, does anyone plan ahead in case of a claim against them, or does everyone just hope it won't happen to them ?

uplink
    Free Member

Should we all have 3rd party insurance ?

No

I'm not buying into the ambulance chasing, litigation culture

zaskar
    Free Member

I think we should have a choice till it becomes legal.

(I choose to have CTC and my own fully comp bike insurance)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fontmoss
    Free Member

i have public liabilty insurance (i think) but thats more in case i cut someone up and make a **** up 😉

vinnyeh

I'm not buying into the ambulance chasing, litigation culture

Isn't it more if the culture tries to buy into you?

I think it should be compulsory where there is a significant chance of injury in the event of an accident.

uplink
    Free Member

I guess a lot of us have it by default with house insurance, union membership, credit cards etc.

bassspine
    Free Member

I think its a responsible thing to have 3rd party cover, but I'm strongly against it being compulsory to do so.

I had a look at the CTC website and you get the 3rd party insurance in with the £36 membership.
    One thing they don't explain though, would I still be covered while intentionally breaking the law. What if I ride in to a pedestrian while on a footpath ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No

You are only liable if you are at fault and I trust my skillz 😉

seriously – its a bad idea having insurance as encourages people to sue

crazy-legs

CTC and British Cycling both offer insurance with their membership (inc personal accident insurance if you go with British Cycling's Gold membership (£64/year))

Well worth it – you wouldn't drive a car without it so why ride a bike without insurance? My bike is worth a lot more than my car plus the £hundreds in terms of kit/clothing etc, there's no way I could afford to replace it in one fell swoop if the bike got wrecked in an accident.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

My bike is worth a lot more than my car plus the £hundreds in terms of kit/clothing etc, there's no way I could afford to replace it in one fell swoop if the bike got wrecked in an accident.

FYI the CTC insurance is 3rd party only and doesn't cover damage to anything of yours – you are covered for liability for damage to other people and their stuff.

thomthumb
    Free Member

joined the ctc for insurance and legal advice.

sockpuppet

once i started regularly going on club runs, in a group, on the road, i joined the CTC.

i did this purely and simply so that those around me were covered in case of accidents.

it should not be compulsory, but i will still chose to be covered, it seems the responsible thing to do in case i cause something serious. by accident. after all they happen, and in that sort of scenario a little mistake could have large consequences.

all IMO, as always.

MoreCashThanDash

Most people have cover under their household insurance, if I was into club road riding I'd join CTC/BC to get the cover as part of the benfits to protect other riders, as mentioned above

andrewh
    Free Member

I've got third party cover for biking, only used it once in the last 10 years when my insurance co had to buy an innocent driver a new rear windscreen and spoiler.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Should we all have 3rd party insurance ?’ is closed to new replies.