Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Should Theresa May resign
  • Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>P-Jay
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”></div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

It’s the way he treated his colleagues after his power grab that makes him unpalatable to me

No offence chief but if you considered being elected against the odds via the party’s approved method after the previous leader quit a “power grab” ithen you were obviously massively biased in the first place. It was surprising that he won but there was nothing at all unusual about his candidacy. And after his election he went to great lengths (too great imo) to work with those who didn’t support his leadership.

</div>

tjagain

The power grab in the labour party was done by the right wing under Blair

Under Corbyn a bit of internal democracy has been restored

Name one hard left policy that labour have

MSP

But the sun calls him comrade Corbyn, so he must be a commie.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I do.

He ‘benefited’ shall we say by the little known Labour rule that allowed anyone to vote in Labour leadership contests for £3, which gave him a surge of votes from hard-left groups like Momentum and ironically Tory supporters who saw him as unelectable.

Once in control of Labour he sacked any MP from the front bench who didn’t agree with him, especially on leaving the EU which he seems keener than May to do. His way or the highway it seems, even MPs who represent constituencies that votes remain were told to support leaving the EU or they would be removed from the shadow cabinet.

With Jon Lansman he’s working toward ‘reselection’ for all Labour MPs, effectively removing sitting MPs from the ballot, presumably to purge more centrist, pro-EU MPs from parliament.

That kind of power grab.

ransos
    Free Member

He ‘benefited’ shall we say by the little known Labour rule that allowed anyone to vote in Labour leadership contests for £3, which gave him a surge of votes from hard-left groups like Momentum and ironically Tory supporters who saw him as unelectable.

Perhaps you could tell us who should be allowed to vote? You might also like to review who elected him because new members weren’t the reason why he won.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

because new members weren’t the reason why he won.

Twice

P-Jay
    Free Member

The power grab in the labour party was done by the right wing under Blair

Yeah I remember that, 3 general elections on the trot, the longest period of economic growth in UK history, the highest number of university students in history, the greatest drop in poverty in recent history, record employment, end of the ‘troubles’.

Shit wasn’t it.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Proper LOL P-Jay.

sobriety
    Free Member

Economic growth – Luck, mostly.

Uni Students – nice way of avoiding rising youth unemployment

Poverty drop – partly due to economic growth, but I’ll give them a partial credit for that

End of the troubles – iirc John Major had a lot to do with it too, so another partial credit.

Not forgetting the illegal war, messiah complex and lucking out with an exit just before a total economic meltdown and the excess spending pigeons coming home to roost…

raybanwomble
    Free Member

lucking out with an exit just before a total economic meltdown and the excess spending pigeons coming home to roost…

Wasn’t really excess until the financial crash was it?

Anyway, you sound like a bitter conservative as opposed to a Corbyn voter.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and boom we are back into the your shit stinks more than my shit stuff.

Any wonder why we are in the state we are in now

sobriety
    Free Member

Anyway, you sound like a bitter conservative as opposed to a Corbyn voter.

Nope, I’ve never been rich/taken in enough to vote for them. I just have a dim view of politicians in general, they all seem to be riding the gravy train, one way or another.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Nope, I’ve never been rich/taken in enough to vote for them. I just have a dim view of politicians in general, they all seem to be riding the gravy train, one way or another.

That attitude leads to extremists or populists getting into power, there are plenty of good career politicians – Dan Jarvis for example, people just don’t notice them quietly getting on with their jobs. It’s also a self fulfilling prophecy, if you create a culture in which all politicians are viewed with cynicism and suspicion – you will attract the kinds of politicians who don’t give a shit if that is how they are viewed.

A country gets the government it deserves, etc etc.

P-Jay
    Free Member

People who dislike Tony Blair and Gordon Brown have an odd understanding of economics – the years of growth were pure luck it seems, but the global banking crisis that originated in US was certainly their fault.

ransos
    Free Member

People who dislike Tony Blair and Gordon Brown have an odd understanding of economics

No, just a dislike of warmongering fundamentalists.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

P-Jay – read much Hoffer?

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Eric_Hoffer

He should be required school reading for communities with high percentages of Brexshitters and fringe right and left wing voters.

sobriety
    Free Member

That attitude leads to extremists or populists getting into power

How so?

When the elections come up, I look at what the candidates will do for my local area, first and foremost, then what their party overall wants to do, since they all appear to be spineless and whipped into toeing the party line on any divisive issue, then reflect that none of them actually represent me in any way, shape or form, then hold my nose and pick the least-worst option.

If you suggest starting my own party ye can get tae ****, as we both know that most voters are numpties, and the whole system is stacked to keep the two (ok, three, for what the lib-dems are worth) parties in the overall majority.

I’d be well up for an Iceland style revolution, but unfortunately, the majority don’t seem quite ready yet…

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>“P-Jay
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”></div>
    </div>

He ‘benefited’ shall we say by the little known Labour rule that allowed anyone to vote in Labour leadership contests for £3, which gave him a surge of votes from hard-left groups like Momentum and ironically Tory supporters who saw him as unelectable.”

</div>
    Myth. He decisively won every vote class, and would have won by a landslide even without the £3 votes. 49.6% of members and 57.6 of affiliates.

“Once in control of Labour he sacked any MP from the front bench”

Just absolutely untrue.

But good job on the diversion

dissonance

He ‘benefited’ shall we say by the little known Labour rule

It wasnt little known. It was new but not little known. This can be spotted by reading all the right wing press at the time. Its also somewhat odd be trying to use lots of people voting for someone as an attack on them.

Once in control of Labour he sacked any MP from the front bench who didn’t agree with him

Unlike Saint Tony who filled his cabinet full of people who had different ideas? Although I would have to point out the minor detail that he didnt sack lots of people. Lots of “moderates” stated publicly they wouldnt serve in his cabinet but, given that, his first cabinet was fairly mixed. As a rule though, unless you are amazing weak like May, most people wont fill their cabinet with people whose main hobby is trying to put a knife in their backs.

With Jon Lansman he’s working toward ‘reselection’ for all Labour MPs,

This keeps being claimed but the evidence is slim. Although I am a bit confused exactly why allowing local party members the right to decide their candidate is so bad. What I would consider a power grab would be to remove the power from them and give them special shortlists.  Remind you of anyone?

but the global banking crisis that originated in US was certainly their fault.

Or, as a radical idea both could be true. Although the market worship from Blair certainly didnt help when it came to the impact on the UK.

Those much vaunted three elections had a gradually dropping vote as all the traditional voters realised new labour didnt give a toss about them. Why so many ended up in the arms of UKIP and co.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

How so?

When the elections come up, I look at what the candidates will do for my local area, first and foremost, then what their party overall wants to do, since they all appear to be spineless and whipped into toeing the party line on any divisive issue, then reflect that none of them actually represent me in any way, shape or form, then hold my nose and pick the least-worst option.

rone

Does anyone think there’s creedence in a breakaway Tory party?  (But not UKIP)

cornholio98
    Free Member

There would be an irony if this ended up creating a split in both labour and cons so you had both a right and left wing pro and anti Europe to make it a 5 party system…

think of the coalitions…. think of the loons

larrydavid
    Free Member

The problem is the third way politics of new Labour have had their time and that time has passed.

Brexit is on significant part a result of New Labour failed policies which brought great wealth for a few, prosperity for a good number but left too many behind (the young, the poor, those outside London/se/metropolitan centres).

More third way, or some kind of reboot, will be seen as more of the status quo which has been challenged or rejected not just here but all over the advanced economies.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

More third way, or some kind of reboot, will be seen as more of the status quo which has been challenged or rejected not just here but all over the advanced economies.

And the wave of populism sweeping those advanced economies is a reboot of the failed political experiments of the early 20th century.

nickjb
    Free Member

Poor Theresa, can’t even remain the subject of her own thread for more than 1 page.

slowoldman

There would be an irony if this ended up creating a split in both labour and cons so you had both a right and left wing pro and anti Europe to make it a 5 party system…

think of the coalitions…. think of the loons

You might then end up with minority hard left and right factions and a coalition of the middle ground, which would make a nice change. The Pragmatism Party perhaps?

mickmcd
    Free Member

Poor Theresa, can’t even remain the subject of her own thread for more than 1 page

To be fair she does have two identical threads running I  started this one and the other one and there will probably be a few more in her honour for the next times she should but doesn’t….i

mickmcd
    Free Member

Loinsgate film

Chuckles

Klunk
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ooops did he accidentally fall over and land on his phone.

It certainly rounds off a fabulous weekend she has been having.

dazh

This question seems somewhat redundant now.

kimbers

im resigned to her never resigning

PM for life!

kimbers

It feels rather end of days for the Tories

the leadership contest is the like pigs wrestling in crap, down to the final 2 after a bit of vote rigging, a day later 1 MP suspended for grabbing a protestor, 1 MP recalled for forging expenses claims

Ultimately none of them have a plan to deliver brexit let alone make a success of it

Farage is breathing down their necks(eeeuugh beer, fags & scotch eggs no doubt), dictating which way they must bend

if Labour werent so conflicted over what they are there might be hope of a way out of this mess.

the nation just seems trapped in the Tory psychodrama now

Cougar

I think I’m going to close this – there’s already a lengthy Boris thread running, this feels like a duplicate now.

avdave2

I think I’m going to close this –

But in a months time all those who posted on here to say she should will be back wishing to god she hadn’t!

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Should Theresa May resign’ is closed to new replies.