Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)
  • Should there be child-free zones on planes and trains?
  • Houns

Selfish parents are the problem

peterfile
    Free Member

Won’t someone think of the adults!!!!

scuzz
    Free Member

I don’t think there is a problem…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m an adult and if I so wish I could cause all sorts of hassle.

Solo
    Free Member

Northwind

I think kids should all have to go in a special area up the back of the plane, with the blacks.

imnotverygood

Er. Given that all we are talking about is a different section of the plane with the same facilities, service etc.. I don’t really understand why all the parents here have a problem. Nobody is being discriminiated against. How does it effect you in any way by being in a child-tolerant section? I know. Let’s just rephrase it so that anyone who isn’t up for having a jolly, noisy child-centred journey has to be moved into a separate section & aren’t allowed to join in with everyone else. Ego satisfied now?

If I was travelling and wanted to do something which I knew to be disturbing amd irritating to other people, I would be perfectly happy to move to another section so that I could carry on as I wanted to without being anti-social.

What is it about a certain sort of parent which makes them so selfish & incionsiderate.

druidh
    Free Member

Shouldn’t this thread be titled “Should there be child-free zones on planes and trains ??

I fail to see why special rules would be necessary on two PUBLIC transport systems.

martinhutch

There’s always some git who will annoy you on a plane. Last time it was the woman who had a pointless argument with the cabin crew and delayed takeoff by over an hour, and the fat bloke who crammed himself in next to me and decided to expand his personal space to encompass half of mine.

These joys, and mewling children, are all part of the thrill that is cheap air tickets. Perhaps if people didn’t board thinking they were about to experience something from the golden age of travel, the misery and inconvenience of being stuffed into a box with 100 other people would be more palatable. Moaning about it is akin to moaning about the number of people on the Northern Line at 8.30am on a Monday.

imnotverygood

it is akin to moaning about the number of people on the Northern Line at 8.30am on a Monday.

Except that for long-haul, there is an easy way to solve it which causes no discomfort or discrimination…..Except that it seems to offend people who want to inflict themselves on others.

druidh
    Free Member

Who are these people?

imnotverygood

Parents, Colin, Parents 😉

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Business class does not mean you are not going to end up near someone loud and annoying.

I sat in front of Jimmy Tarbuck once, The only reason I’m able to type this is that a one hour flight was too short a time to properly plan and execute my suicide.

As for the no kiddie section, can’t see why parents are bothered, I thought the proposed swingers area at the back of the plane was intended to be pretty small. You won’t be missing out on much. It’ll still be cramped, uncomfortable and have poor food. I expect there’ll still be overweight people spilling over the edge of their seats and the inconsiderate that insist on reclining their seats despite hearing the knees of the person behind crack as they do so.

BoardinBob

So, in summary, some kids and adults are ****.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Parents, Colin, Parents

Added to that…

Stag & Hen Dos
    Fat People
    Noisy Eaters
    Snorers
    I’m-the-only-person-on-this-plane types
    Rude Cabin Crew
    Snooty Pilots
    Incontinent Duffers who won’t sit in an aisle seat
    Stationery Salesmen
    Bores
    Spinsters and Bachelors who hate anybody young

Scamper
    Free Member

So having a child tolerant zone in order to `control’ the odd noisy kid on flight, would cause no discomfort to those parents who have to sit in that zone with perfectly well behaved kids? Or is it becasue they are parents they somehow are inmune and don’t need their sleep like the businessman?

jfletch
    Free Member

Except that for long-haul, there is an easy way to solve it which causes no discomfort or discrimination…..

Except that children noise is only one of many potential anoyances that may inflict themselves on you or everyone else. Why solve only one of them?

As well as a no kids zone we need the following segregated zones.

+ Space zone – No excess hand luggage or body fat.
    + No Sleeping zone – If sat in an aisle seat in the zone you cannot sleep in case the people inside of you need a wee.
    + No broadsheets zone – No oversized reading material that may restrict other peoples view.
    + No toilets zone – If there is no loo then there is no reason to get out of your seat and anoy everyone who has to move
    + No chatting zone – People don’t want to overhear your missinformed opinions

Or we could all stop being a load of shefilsh twunts and get on with life.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Or we could all stop being a load of shefilsh twunts and get on with life.

Actually I prefer your multi zone model for aircraft seating.

samuri
    Free Member

Nobody is being discriminiated against. How does it effect you in any way by being in a child-tolerant section?

No, hang on. that means I’ve got to sit with all the noisy, spewing little bastards running riot. Sod that!

Northwind

jfletch – Member

Let’s address the fact that I weigh 60kg yet if I carry on 33kg of luggage I need to pay extra, but the 120kg bloke with 32kg of luggage doesn’t, while we’re at it.

And a solution to the knotty problem of people who take window seats, then don’t look out of the window.

piemonster

Children they are horrid little rats

samuri
    Free Member

And the people who take an aisle seat and then don’t take the opportunity to oggle the stewardesses bum each time she walks past.

Solo
    Free Member

What ?. Still going ?. Goodness me…

So, a story I heard today, one I’ve been thinking about since and while this thread has been raging.

Theres a 5 month old baby in the local ICU, its there now, right as I type. Its been ill since its birth. The product of the union between two teenagers. The father has never been to see it and the mother was asked to attend once. She saw the child, excused herself from the room for feeling ill and disappeared from the hospital. So, that poor baby lays there each day, no family, no visits, nothing but the meager attention the nurses can afford while caring for the other sickly babies there. Because of its condition, it has to be fed something which, when the bottle is removed from its mouth, it pulls a face that clearly indicates that it hates the taste, yet the child is hungry enough to swallow the fuild anyway.

And then I come back to this place, and I see this pathetic, pointless bickering and I am reminded of just how faking shit this world is and why I am so f’ing sick of it all. We should be ashamed of ourselves.

downshep

My two kids weigh less together than I do. On our last flight, their two cases weighed about the same as my one. Their tickets cost exactly the same as mine. All airline passengers should be weighed with luggage and charged accordingly.

While I’m on, fatties should be made to sit in an arse width measuring device prior to boarding. If any part of their person overlaps the adjacent seat, they can pay double or be dragged through a giant slicer, like on a whaling ship, to narrow them down to regulation width.

Farting is fine though, it’s a pressurised cabin and the food is dire.

atlaz
    Free Member

And a solution to the knotty problem of people who take window seats, then don’t look out of the window.

Make the plane out of glass or perspex or something like that. Apart from the toilets of course. Problem solved.

Also, Solo, are you suggesting STW somehow creates all the misery in the world? I had suspected as much.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Apart from the toilets of course.

I disagree. Every plane toilet should have a window! The “Loo with a view” on a BA747 is ace!

And, on the topic of farting…

Children are like farts. Your own are a thing of constant wonder and amusement. Those of other people? Vile.

Cougar

Solo, are you suggesting STW somehow creates all the misery in the world?

Far as I can tell, he’s suggesting that because there are worse problems in the world, we’re not allowed to discuss relatively minor issues.

piemonster

Solo, you seem to have mistaken this for a debate to be taken seriously

atlaz
    Free Member

I disagree. Every plane toilet should have a window!

I was saying the whole thing should not be made of glass. A window sounds perfectly acceptable but I don’t think (m)any of us want to see each other using the toilet and the resultant mess zooming around pipes.

imnotverygood

+ No Sleeping zone – If sat in an aisle seat in the zone you cannot sleep in case the people inside of you need a wee.
    + No broadsheets zone – No oversized reading material that may restrict other peoples view.
    + No toilets zone – If there is no loo then there is no reason to get out of your seat and anoy everyone who has to move
    + No chatting zone – People don’t want to overhear your missinformed opinions

I take it you object to ‘quiet carriages’ on trains?

andywoods
    Free Member

kids are kids simple as that, most dont make noise deliberately just to annoy you, the only people who do that are adults.

Cougar

most dont make noise deliberately just to annoy you

fuzzhead
    Free Member

My kids’ farts are a thing of wonder 🙂

imnotverygood

Let’s look at it another way. You are the parent of a young family. You go on holiday to a big resort. The resort has several separate blocks in its grounds. It tries to put the twenty-somethings who want to party all night separately from families how might want to go to bed earlier. Are you going to object to the bigotry of the hotel? Would you sympathise with the stag party who objected to the intolerance of others and who insist that they are put in the same block as the families with kids?

Seriously. Why are people objecting to being put in one part of a plane rather than another (identical) section? Some people want to sleep on a ten hour flight. If that can be done without inconveniencing others what exactly is the problem?

BoardinBob

What ?. Still going ?. Goodness me…

So, a story I heard today, one I’ve been thinking about since and while this thread has been raging.

Theres a 5 month old baby in the local ICU, its there now, right as I type. Its been ill since its birth. The product of the union between two teenagers. The father has never been to see it and the mother was asked to attend once. She saw the child, excused herself from the room for feeling ill and disappeared from the hospital. So, that poor baby lays there each day, no family, no visits, nothing but the meager attention the nurses can afford while caring for the other sickly babies there. Because of its condition, it has to be fed something which, when the bottle is removed from its mouth, it pulls a face that clearly indicates that it hates the taste, yet the child is hungry enough to swallow the fuild anyway.

And then I come back to this place, and I see this pathetic, pointless bickering and I am reminded of just how faking shit this world is and why I am so f’ing sick of it all. We should be ashamed of ourselves.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Children are like farts. Your own are a thing of constant wonder and amusement. Those of other people? Vile.

😆

TiRed

Last flight back from the US, I was in business class next to a poor mother and her mentally disabled son. She wouldn’t stop apologizing for his behavior – clearly very anxious, until I told her I was a) a parent b) can sleep through anything on planes. c) to stop worrying, he’ll soon be asleep. Of course I was asleep before the end of the climb and never heard anything all the way home. I have no idea about other passengers 😉

And yes, I’ve sat upstairs on long-haul with a family of seven (five kids). Kids burn out eventually on long-haul. All of them!

somouk
    Free Member

Almost everyone I know would travel in a kid free zone!

Especially when they wake up and scream during the night on a long haul flight!

peterfile
    Free Member

Dammmmnnnnn you bob!

I was going to reply with a “Cool story, Hansel”

🙁

hertz32
    Free Member

i spent the whole of a Flight from dallas to heathrow with a noisy 5 year old literally running up and down the aircraft crying, kicking me + the chair and he stole my **** pillow

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Should there be child-free zones on planes and trains?’ is closed to new replies.