Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Should there be a minimum age for piercing?
  • zippykona

Just saw a baby with earrings the size of a penny.
    I fail to see how putting holes in babies for aesthetic reasons is legal.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s not as if the child can consent. But why pierce at all? be it children or adult? I wonder why women think that dangling things from holes in their ears will make them more attractive, or young people think that a rivet through their eybrow will improve their self-esteem.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I agree, it shouldn’t be legal, it isn’t even the childs choice at that age! and well lets be honest its looks shit.

RustySpanner

Culturally acceptable innit.
    Bit like circumcision, which used to be pretty much universal in some areas of the UK between the wars.

Used to pierce ears when I worked in a Jewellers/Pawnbrokers many years ago.
    We would pierce the ears of anyone who could pay for it themselves. Problem is, if you refuse, many parents will just do it themselves anyway, with the resultant risk of infection, etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

had the same discussion in a glasgow coffee shop when the kid in the pram (not buggy .. an actual pram) had studs in both ears :s

not a good look

joao3v16
    Free Member

Just saw a baby with earrings the size of a penny.
    I fail to see how putting holes in babies for aesthetic reasons is legal.

Generally I’d agree, although in many cultures it’s normal.

My wife tells me that in general baby girls born in Brazil will have their ears pierced whilst still very young.

She has said, if we ever have a girl, that she wants her ears pierced. I disagreed with her. Guess we’ll have to wait and see who wins that one 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Let the child make that decision when she is old enough to do so!

maccruiskeen

As a child I did myself more harm and disfigurement learning to walk, riding a bike, kicking balls, falling in bushes and swinging from a rotory clothes line than anyone could administer with a piercing gun. Should we impose minimum age limits for those activities too?

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s perfectly reasonable for the parents to make such a decision (piercing or no piercing) – for my daughters we agreed 10 years old was the the right age.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Childhood accidents arn’t deliberate as piercing is.

Drac

Their kids their choice but I do think it looks awful.

PMK2060

Babies and toddlers should not have piercings. Only Chav parents think it’s acceptable. Usually the same parents who buy their three year old kids quad bikes.

maccruiskeen

But buying a child a bike or a ball or is deliberate. It’s only an ear piercing, teething and Brussels sprouts will cause more upset. It’s not to your taste, or mine. But it’s not our child. ( I say ‘our’ child but you,re behind with the Csa payments and you forgot his birthday. I can’t believe I trusted you when you said I couldn’t get pregnant if we did it up the bumbum)

jota180
    Free Member

joao3v16
    Free Member

Anything that’s going to leave a permanent physical mark should be left to the individual to choose as and when they’re old enough.

(am I now supposed to type ‘IMHO’, for all the stupid people who think that I believe my opinion is fact?)

Junkyard
    Free Member

It’s perfectly reasonable for the parents to make such a decision

It is but not every parent is perfectly reasonable – I am sure some would give their kids tatoos if that was allowed[ nowt against tats fwiw]

I think it should at least wait till the child can actively take part in the decision and loks very silly on the very young

thos holes look silly to me but that what old folk thought about my piercings when i was younger

allthegear
    Free Member

Nothing permanent about ear piercing…

randomjeremy
    Free Member

It’s a good way of identifying the spawn of the lower echelons for sure. Probably called Shawayne or LeJackson too 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Could be having the same discussion about circumcision, or even baptism.

For some sections of society this is the norm, for others it’s abhorrent.

Personally think it should be up to the kid to decide when they are old enough.

maccruiskeen

should we defer all decisions about children until they ‘are old enough’ a pierced ear is no more permanent than a haircut, no more socially divisive than a football shirt.

PiknMix
    Free Member

PMK2060 – Member
    Only Chav parents think it’s acceptable.

My wife thinks its acceptable and is certainly not a chav, thanks for sharing your prejudices moron 😉

mogrim

PMK2060 – Member
    Only Chav parents think it’s acceptable.

Nearly all Spanish girls have their ears pierced at birth, unless you think they’re all chavs too?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s a good way of identifying the spawn of the lower echelons for sure.

My liberal hand-wringing tentacles started fizzling a little there, but mogrim got in before me. Lots of cultures pierce their girls’ ears early. I’m not a fan, but assuming they’re automatically from an inferior socioeconomic strata to your own lofty position is a bit ****.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

oh come on did you not see the smiley? 🙂

JEngledow
    Free Member

When we were kids my sister wanted her ears pierced, so my Mum made her wait until her 10th Birthday as she was deemed to be old enough to safely look after them / keep them clean to avoid infection etc!

This did however lead to quite an amusing conversation between her and an elderly lady in the village, where the lady asked what she got for her 10th Birthday, to which the angelic 10 year old replied “I got my ears pierced and a shotgun” (my Dad had the same attitude towards shotguns as my Mum did pierced ears)!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, I did think it was a bit unlike you. Hook. Line. Sinker.

bigblackshed

Piercing ARE permanent. I took mine out 20 years ago. I still have the holes and they are still visable.

Would I let my kids get pierced? Yes. When? At 18 like I was. Purely their decision.

verses

My 6yo is currently pestering to have hers done (best mate has had them recently).

I think MrsV is wavering but I still think she’s too young. However, I’ve no idea what “not too young” is…

PMK2060

mogrim – the fact that Spanish girls have their ears pierced at birth does not make it right. I have an 18 month old daughter and she squeezes through the tightest of spaces to explore her surroundings. A piercing could easily get caught resulting in injury.

pik n mix – does your wife dress your daughter head to toe in Burberry check 😀

rob-jackson
    Free Member

pierced ears on kids is just plain wrong and chavvy imo

Cougar

I don’t really see a problem with pierced ears, per sé, as it’s not permanent (though I personally think it’s pretty stupid). I suppose there’s a small risk of infection, and a risk of the studs coming loose and causing harm / being ingested.

The OP mentioned earrings “the size of a penny” – that’s not stretched lobes is it, surely?

Taff
    Free Member

My Mrs’ sister in law pierced her childs ears. She has pulled them several times and they are only studs. Father was fuming, I think it’s awful but each to their own. My kid, if I ever have one, won’t be getting them at that age. Schools may have changed but when I was there [secondary] they weren’t allowed. Granted mobiles weren’t allowed either though…

lizzz
    Free Member

IMO if they’re old enough to ask for it then they’re old enough to get it done.

I think I was 8 or 9 when I first asked for my ears to be pierced.

shifter
    Free Member

I don’t think children should be pierced, tattooed or anything cut off for no good reason, period. If breaking your child’s skin with a sharp implement isn’t a abuse I don’t know what is.

mogrim

mogrim – the fact that Spanish girls have their ears pierced at birth does not make it right. I have an 18 month old daughter and she squeezes through the tightest of spaces to explore her surroundings. A piercing could easily get caught resulting in injury.

Well, yes, I suppose so. Although if she’s prone to sticking her head through openings that tight, I’d suggest the ear piercing is the least of your worries. Don’t get her ears pierced for the reasons you like, but injury is not a factor I’d worry about.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Just throw it in with tattoos. 18 years isn’t it? There is obviously a debate to be had about when the age of consent should be for tattoos etc but I find it strange that piercings aren’t considered to essentially the same as tattoos. I have no problem with either incidentally but I cringe when I see babies with pierced ears. Make all the arguments you want about it being culturally acceptable here, there or anywhere my automatic and gut reaction to a baby with a pierced ear is to cringe.

davidjones15
    Free Member

😆

unovolo
    Free Member

Babies with ears pierced=Chav Parents

FACT.

We let out daughter have her ears pierced when she was 9-10?? not sure. Anyway, she soon got fed up with them, hasn’t wanted them since and there is no sign that they were ever there.

pedropete

As long as they match the gold sovereign rings I can’t see a problem myself

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Should there be a minimum age for piercing?’ is closed to new replies.