Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Should the UK public have the right to bear arms?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

As in the USA. Why not?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’d prefer tiger feet

colp

razorrazoo

unknown
    Free Member

I’ve nothing against vests or t-shirts so I’d say yes. It’d be a no to short-sleeved shirts though. Or guns, obviously.

GrahamS

As in the USA. Why not?

Firearm-related deaths per 100,000 population per year:

USA: 10.5

UK: 0.26

That’s why.

jimdubleyou

My arms are pretty hairy already. I don’t want bear arms.

jimjam
    Free Member

I wear shorts almost all year round but a wife beater would be taking the piss. It’s cold today mind you, so I might have to buy some trousers.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I came in here to make the vest / t-shirt joke but I’ve been beaten to it…..

I’ll get my gilet. 😀

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I was thinking of those defenseless people in the Bataclan; perhaps there may have been fewer fatalities if they’d been able to fight back. Compare and contrast that attack and the one which was stopped in its tracks earlier this year in Texas thanks to the actions of armed ‘good guys’.

Pigface
    Free Member

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

A bear-armed society is a polite society.

wwaswas

Compare and contrast that attack and the one which was stopped in its tracks earlier this year in Texas thanks to the actions of armed ‘good guys’

which one in Texas?

Drac

GrahamS

I was thinking of those defenseless people in the Bataclan; perhaps there may have been fewer fatalities if they’d been able to fight back.

Not sure how it works in America, but I suspect most places that allow guns are still a bit wary of allowing a bunch of drunk people to carry them into a death metal concert.

Also French police are armed but that didn’t seem to help that much.

P-Jay
    Free Member

We do, it may not be part of any fundamental rule of law but in Britain you can legally own any use a huge range of weapons simply by applying for the required license. For shotguns you simply have to apply for a license and unless the Police have justifiable reason to deny it, you can have one. You do have to show justification for having a rifle in the broadest sense – I.E. have access to somewhere sensible to use them, you can even have a semi-automatic if you keep to .22.

So for hunting, pest control and range shooting you’re pretty well able to get whatever you want – what you can’t own are full autos, semi autos over .22 or handguns – being that mostly they’re designed for killing humans.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Because they were minutes away when seconds mattered.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I was thinking of those defenseless people in the Bataclan; perhaps there may have been fewer fatalities if they’d been able to fight back

Tell me, given the level on confusion that there woul undoubtedly have been how exactly would these people have known who were the terrorist and who were just “fighting back”? Quite frankly that suggestion is probably the only way to make an already horrific situation even worse!

Edit;

umm from your link

“Two gunman shot dead by police after opening fire on ‘anti-Islam’ art exhibition organised by American Freedom Defence Initiative “

emphasis mine.

razorrazoo

I’ll pass on the grounds that by potentially stopping the odd shooting (but more likely escalating the issue by involving untrained amateurs with likely problems with ‘friendly fire’) , we’d be legally arming those people who would use for bad.

wwaswas

This one.

Two gunman shot dead by police

Do the police count as ‘the public’ now?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

With everyone else fleeing or diving for cover the people standing firing automatic weapons while dressed for combat would be obvious targets.

antigee

but who would sell them to us?

NewRetroTom

We already have the right to have rifles and shotguns (as long as the police do not have a particular reason not to grant you a shotgun/firearm certificate).

Definitely don’t think that taking a handgun with you on a night out would be a good plan. Incidents which currently involve an exchange of swear words or possibly some punches thrown would quickly escalate to lots of dead people if one or both parties were armed.

The number of people killed in very rare but atrocious incidents such as Paris would pale into insignificance compared to the daily killings that happen in the USA as Graham S’ stat above demonstrates.

gonefishin
    Free Member

With everyone else fleeing or diving for cover the people standing firing automatic weapons while dressed for combat would be obvious targets.

Group A starts shooting
    Person B thinks “shit I’m going to shoot back at them”
    Person C thinks “holy shit there’s another one I’m going to shoot at both groups”
    Person D thinks “Dear mother of god another group” starts firing.

etc, etc.

Moses

Because we’d have more people killed overall, that’s why.
    Even if there were armed partygoers at the Bataclan, it would probably have made the situation worse – the attackers would have shot eveyone and kept firing, instead of killing something like 80 of several hundred attendees.

P-Jay
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

This one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11581096/Shooting-at-Mohammed-cartoon-drawing-contest-in-Texas.html

Ah yes the shooting at the “inciting racial hatred event” or “freedom of speech” as the yanks call it.

Firstly, if the US had the same gun control laws as the UK, it would have been far, far harder for the shooters to be armed in the first place, secondly they were shot by the Police – the Police here have guns too.

cranberry
    Free Member

We should at the very least arm anyone wanting to become a…

wwaswas

the people standing firing automatic weapons while dressed for combat

So terrorists start dressing like clowns and the survivalists with the guns (who all dress like they’re ready for combat 24/7 already) shoot each other.

DrJ

There’s your answer, right there.

footflaps

We do, it may not be part of any fundamental rule of law but in Britain you can legally own any use a huge range of weapons simply by applying for the required license. For shotguns you simply have to apply for a license and unless the Police have justifiable reason to deny it,

Yes and I often take my 12-bore to death metal gigs….

GrahamS

Because they were minutes away when seconds mattered.

The Bataclan attack started at 9:40pm.
    The police/special forces stormed at 12:20am.

What about the police who come in, dressed for combat, firing automatic weapons?

What about the metal fan, wearing doc martens and combats, firing his weapon?

How is an untrained civilian going to tell the difference in a dark concert hall filled with smoke and screaming?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

It works so well in the US…

US Mass Shootings Index

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Well best of luck to you if/when such attacks happen again and you have nothing to hand to defend yourselves with.

marcus7
    Free Member

How does one dress for combat these days? formal or smart casual? What if the doormen had a no jeans policy and you had a nice pair of levis on ?…. Its important to know..

kimbers

I think someone’s seen to many movies

Onhesback is this how you see yourself?

wwaswas

Well best of luck to you if/when such attacks happen again and you have nothing to hand to defend yourselves with.

Do you know what, I’d rather live in a society where carrying guns is not allowed and accept the risks of terrorist attacks. Statistics would seem to support me being safer too.

razorrazoo

How does one dress for combat these days? formal or smart casual? What if the doormen had a no jeans policy and you had a nice pair of levis on ?…. Its important to know..

Anything but Crocs. No-one should have the right to bear Crocs.

brassneck

[video]https://youtu.be/X3WMx1blONU[/video]

GrahamS

Do you know what, I’d rather live in a society where carrying guns is not allowed and accept the risks of terrorist attacks. Statistics would seem to support me being safer too.

What he said.

I’ve personally never seen a terrorist. But I have seen plenty of blokes getting a fighty after three or four too many Stellas on a Saturday night and I’m quite glad that none of them had guns.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Should the UK public have the right to bear arms?’ is closed to new replies.