• This topic has 54 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Should the EU thread be closed?
  • matt_outandabout

Personally, I blame that Matt_OutandAbout fella for starting it all. If anyone deserves a ban, it’s him.

Sometimes in life I find myself triggering processes, events and reactions that I don’t understand.

Ban me, oh mighty banner….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

jambalaya
    Free Member

Most important social, economic and political issue of our lifetimes. Just a pity people can’t be more civil but thats just STW and not related to this specific issue.

I am just miffed (*) the EU Referendum thread I started immediately after the 2015 GE only got to a few hundred posts. @matt holds the STW thread record I believe and it’s still growing

(*) only joking

ribena
    Free Member

Edukator
    Free Member

Civil:

7. adhering to the norms of polite social intercourse; not deficient in common courtesy:
    After their disagreement, their relations were civil though not cordial.
    marked by benevolence:
    He was a very civil sort, and we liked him immediately

Civility can be yielded as a weapon, a snobbery devoid of value. Both yourself an THM do this frequently on the EU, thread Jamba. A mistruth delivered in a polite mannere is still a mistruth and as such insults the intelligence of the reader, however decorative and respectful the language may superficially appear.

Take a look at THM’s contribution to the current page of the EU thread. Superficially delightful, but he crosses out a religious reference thus mocking Cougar’s comments on the difficulties of moderation and the whole post clearly lacks sincerity.

Civilility without sincerity is insulting.

Have a nice day.

tjagain

Edikator – can I just point out that that is precisely the sort of post that escalates tensions?

I have written but not posted several similar ones myself

Poopscoop

Sorry but have to…

Reported!

(I haven’t, btw!) 🙂

TJ, there is an irony in your post referring escalation, in this post too.

Sorry, just being pedantic. 😉

tjagain

I understand that. this is me in thoughtful mode rather than argumentative. Edukators post is the sort of post that IMO would merit a slap down ” play nicely children”

Edukator
    Free Member

If pointing out that the person asking us to be civil takes the Micky with just about every post he makes on the EU thread is trolling or escalation then I welcome the ban that follows. It needs to be said.

I used to go through the mail written in English with… his English was good enough to read and understand so he didn’t need the content translating, I was there for the tone, the nuances, the subtleties, because even though people on forums say humour and tone don’t coem across in writing, they do.

Have a look at my only post on Saxon’s last religious thread about being a pilgrim. It’s in realy simplistic child like English with measure of self derision. The intention was to be sincere without provoking (edit; and make them smile rather than get annoyed with the religious content). I think it worked.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Bit blowy out.

Edukator
    Free Member

Flat calm here.

Poopscoop

Wet and windy here.

Fairly calm on the EU thread.

Which is nice.

tjagain

Edukator – the post you were responding to shuld also be slapped down IMO – I was just trying to show how getting exasperated with a poster for them posting nonsense leads to escalation and entrenchment of positions. You are 100% right but the tone leads to a cycle of entrenchment, exasperation and anger which in turn makes more work for the mods.

Poster 1 posts nonsense, poster 2 makes a pithy reply and off we go in an escalating cycle of nastyness

zokes
    Free Member

Just a pity people can’t be more civil but thats just STW and not related to this specific issue.

No, it’s specifically a quite understandable reaction to being consistently lied to and then ignored when facts are presented to counter said lies.

If you wish for civil debate Jamby, I strongly suggest you take a long hard look in the mirror.

DezB
    Free Member

Really, who gives a shit? This forum has really got so anal with all these threads about the forum itself.
    If these people need so badly to try to prove they are oh so much cleverer than the other posters and oh so much more politically savvy (I presume that’s what goes on, seeing as that is all that any long political/religious/driving thread ever contains), then leave that thread there for them to wallow in. It’s easily avoided.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Should the EU thread be closed?’ is closed to new replies.