Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Should rape accusers have 'protected' anonymity?
  • taxi25
    Free Member

3% of reported rapes lead to a conviction.

I’ve seen figures of between 3-8% of rape accusations actually being false. I presume thats proven to be false as if it was in court. But how many of the 97% were falsely accused but it couldn’t be proved either way. I don’t belive all of the accused who “escaped” justice were actually guilty. I guess we’ll never know.
    And I have seen first hand the impact of rape and false accusations. Both can have a terrible impact on the victim 🙁

philxx1975
    Free Member

Should all parties not be kept anonymous till the verdict?

scotroutes

There are good reasons why accused rapists are identified; for one it often helps bring forward other victims.

The question is really – should those making false accusations be prosecuted (especially if they are found to have withheld or deleted evidence)? Maybe they sometimes are, but some recent cases have highlighted a lack of consistency in approach.

3% of reported rapes lead to a conviction.

Conviction rates for rape are far lower than other crimes, with only 5.7% of reported rape cases ending in a conviction for the perpetrator.

https://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php

Still low – just correcting for accuracy.

Although…

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/mar/19/myths-about-rape-conviction-rates

58% of cases brought to trial result in a conviction for the perpetrator. About the same as all other crimes.

wrecker
    Free Member

I guess you think that’s a price worth paying.

I do in fact, very much so.

airtragic
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    Evidentiary standard? You mean an accusation? Which is the evidentiary standard and that alone has taken many case to trial.

If I meant accusation, that is what I would’ve said. As for your second sentence, I can see that I may as well try educating pork.

Wow, that’s the second of your posts I’ve read in as many days and thought “he seems nice”.

wrecker
    Free Member

Small man syndrome

sbob
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

Small man syndrome

He makes Dennis Wise look like a giant he’s so small! 😀

grumpysculler
    Free Member

I think I’ve come to the conclusion that rape, and some other serious crimes, should default to anonymity for both parties. This should be discretionary, so that the judge can lift the anonymity in certain cases. Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris are examples of cases I think there is a public interest (an objective one) and where it serves justice to release the name.

We also need to sort the police and CPS out. That probably means electing a government that isn’t Tory.

Mugboo

Someone close to me deals with this for a living and sadly has found that lots of girls once questioned have done something they have later regretted rather than been assaulted or raped or made it up for other reasons (30% ish). On one or two occasions the accused have been able to produce video evidence…

Obviously that means that in the rest of the cases the victims have told the truth and sadly its often word on word and very hard to prove.

As for the answer to the question, maybe the press need to publish the court results as well as they publish the accusations.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Should rape accusers have 'protected' anonymity?’ is closed to new replies.