Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Should Murray get a knighthood ?
  • Weasel
    Free Member

More importantly, how many KOM’s does he have?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

esp actors . FFS, they are getting honoured for pretending to be other people …

Some would say that they have been honoured for entertaining the public. And for therefore enhancing the lives of literally millions of people through their entertainment.

But stick with “getting honoured for pretending to be other people” – it sounds more theatrical and dramatic.

sweepy
    Free Member

If anyone English ever wins they’ll have to make them God.

mrmoofo

Some would say that they have been honoured for entertaining the public. And for therefore enhancing the lives of literally millions of people through their entertainment.

But stick with “getting honoured for pretending to be other people” – it sounds more theatrical and dramatic.

Some indeed would – and everyone is entitled to there own opinions
    I always had you down as man of the people than a luvvy 😆

Rockape63
    Free Member

Well normally I’d say no but you have to look at the precedents and on the basis of Sir Chris Ahoy, he should definitely get one……if not two!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I always had you down as man of the people than a luvvy

Don’t be so stereotypical of a building worker from Croydon. I have my creative & artistic side I’ll let you know.

mrmoofo

Don’t be so stereotypical of a building worker from Croydon. I have my creative & artistic side I’ll let you know

Cool, glad to hear of it – never thought you wouldn’t have

Don’t suppose you it fire doors or do sash windows do you?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bloody well done but not a knighthood yet.
    If he gets a few more and becomes the best in the world maybe. AND if he does something socially useful. To many knighthoods about really.

BigJohn

If you can get to sleep with the light on you don’t need a knighthood.

Leku
    Free Member

Yes but when devolution happens all Scottish people should lose their honours.

Looking at you Sean Connery.

ac282

Why, is Scotland going to be a republic?

Northwind

Leku – Member

Yes but when devolution happens all Scottish people should lose their honours.

You want to knight him, then remove his knighthood, but 15 years before he got it?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Being a citizen of the Irish Republic didn’t stop this geezer from getting an honour.

chewkw
    Free Member

Only read few of the comments but my view is that he should be knighted but then so are Tom, Dick and Harry, which means this honour should be devalued to just piece of worthless badge if it is not already worthless.

Sir to everyone!

🙄

zokes
    Free Member

First British winner since the thirties….

Apart from Virginia Wade, who whilst admittedly being the wrong sex, was actually quite good.

She’s not a Dame yet, so no reason for Murray to be knighted just yet either.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I think he should, celebrities have been getting knighted for ages now. Its part of the modern culture.

He brought a big part of the nation together. Which is a good thing.

flanagaj
    Free Member

No he should not. The are a great many people out there who deserve recognition, and a sports star who was just doing there job and won £1.6 million in the process is not one of them.

I don’t believe in giving Knighthoods to any athlete.

klunky
    Free Member

He has donated his winnings to a cancer charity.

http://inagist.com/all/353956050740850688/

peterfile
    Free Member

Don’t think that’s true klunky.

He donated his winnings at Queen’s (about £70k i think), but not Wimbledon.

That said, now the rumour/speculation is out there, he/his PR might feel pressured/see an opportunity 🙂

BermBandit
    Free Member

The problem here is that the whole system is based on an archaic antiquated concept of the big cheese handing out goodies to the slightly smaller cheeses so as to keep them onside and thus the big chesse on top of the heap. Therefore not surprisingly popular things are at the top of the list simply as a form of opiate to the masses as good old Karl used to put it.

Personally I just think the whole honours thing needs kicking into touch and replacing with a merit based system, as opposed to a patronage based one. Might be an idea to start with an independant panel to reveiw proposals that can be made by any member of society.

As far as Murray is concerned? Well I guess he has done something that merits recognition, and definately more so than the likes of the Thatcher offspring for example, so probably at some point would be my observation.

binners

Fred says yes!

Northwind

Berm Bandit – Member

Well I guess he has done something that merits recognition, and definately more so than the likes of the Thatcher offspring for example

Well Mark’s certainly done things that merit recognition. Just not good recognition.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought it was recognition for outstanding achievement? How is that not merit based?

Is there any other nation in the world that gives out silly, pointless titles to people, so they can think themselves superior to everyone else?

Loads, they are usually medals afaik. I would guess most countries have some gong they can hand out.

I would rather Hoy and Murray have them than a bland civil servant or the CEO of some bank or other that no-one’s really heard of.

Coyote
    Free Member

I don’t believe in giving Knighthoods to any athlete.

samuri
    Free Member

What is the metric on which Knighthoods are based?

If it’s based on how many middle-aged ladies (including Mrs samuri) he gets all hot and bothered then I think he’s well deserving of one.

BermBandit
    Free Member

I flipping hate the use of the word Metric in a pseudo intellectual bullshit bingo attempt to imply that the originator is somehow wise and deeply intelligent. It should be consigned to the bin along with ridiculously bright (normally red) braces.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Should Murray get a knighthood ?’ is closed to new replies.