Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Should Murray get a knighthood ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Ye gods what has happened to this country !

of course the answer should be NO !

He’s a tennis player and got £1.6 million for winning…

I’m probably on my own on this one !

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Wiggins got one for winning the TdF, so its going to happen isn’t it?

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

NO! Hope not.. I dont know what worse, Murray or a Orange 5… 😉

camo16
    Free Member

You’re not on your own, geezer.

How it is that we still seem to think monarchical largesse is the proper way to validate a sporting achievement in our supposedly modern, meritocratic society is beyond me…

binners

Did he donate the winnings to Tory Party funds, via an offshore account? That’s how you normally get them, isn’t it?

Its just the usual populist, opportunistic, tabloid-feeding, headline grabbing claptrap from Call-me-Dave.

gonefishin
    Free Member

I’ve no problem with him getting a knighthood, but I think that it should wait until he retires. The same thing should have been the case for Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins too.

wrecker
    Free Member

Alan sugar got one for making himself filthy rich. Why not Murray?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Alex Ferguson got one for shouting and chewing gum, so why not?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

No one should get knighthoods.

40mpg

gonefishin + 1

Should be merit for a career, not one event.

jon1973
    Free Member

He already has a mound named after him, why does he need a knighthood?

PrinceJohn

Should be merit for a career, not one event.

Yup – he’s not the best in the world – Federer, Nadal & Djokovic are all currently ahead of him on past results, this may not be always the case, but if they gave him one now – what could they give if he went on to hold all 4 grand slams at the same time or ranked number one in the world?

Wait until his career is over then give it to him by all means.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’m probably on my own on this one !

No you’re not.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Not against knighthoods per se, but for sustained services to sport/charity/whatever, not because it will make the Prime Minister more popular for being in touch with the people…

BTW, Wiggins was first brit ever to win TDF and has I believe four olympic golds from three different olympic games. Hoy has six olympic golds and is Britain’s most successful olympian. Both were knighted in their thirties. Murray is doing very nicely thank you and may merit a knighthood one day, but not yet.

binners

Is there any other nation in the world that gives out silly, pointless titles to people, so they can think themselves superior to everyone else?

Apart from former soviet republics run by madmen?

camo16
    Free Member

Is there any other nation in the world that gives out silly, pointless titles to people, so they can think themselves superior to everyone else?

Are you saying you’d refuse the title of Sir Binners if her maj saw sense and spread her goodies to STW and not to hugely rich sportsmen then? 😉

iolo
    Free Member

So should we give the British and Irish Lions too?
    Or maybe the Scottish women who were OK at curling a few years back in the winter Olympics?
    Where do you stop?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And kneeling in front of the Queen while she taps your shoulders with a sword…

…in the 21st century!

fasthaggis

I think he should have his own flag.
    The Murray flag,flown every year at Wimblington ,it would be teh awsumss.
    A bit like this..

duntstick
    Free Member

Knights ride horses and fight wars apparently. Why they still exist today is beyond me. I think he should be made a saint, or a mayor, something with true status and relevance in a modern society, so we all know when to bow and courtsey. I thought he’d already had recognition for his achievements with the cup, winnings and being a champion.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Gonefishin + another 1.

This need for immediate gratification with honours isn’t very nice IMO. He won, and his reward for that was the cup/plate whatever and the money.

fasthaggis

Knights ride horses and fight wars apparently

Not all the time,sometimes they just like a drink and a firm handshake 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Who cares about knighthoods… surely the question is who can possibly challenge him for SPOTY?!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Can cameron really think of no one more deserving?
    Nurses, social workers, misionarys, charity workers?
    There’s an endless list of people who’ve dedicated their lives too helping others. Not some bloke who won a game of tennis, and will now be stupidly rich because of it.

kayak23

Ah…. The traditional British dressing down of achievement.. 😐
    First British winner since the thirties….
    Well done Murray..

theflatboy
    Free Member

He should because of the precedent that has been set for others. In the grander scheme of things, probably not.

The problem is that the trend was set when Britain was a lot shitter at sport and now that we’re doing pretty well across the board all these latest successes have to get the same treatment.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

kayak23

Ah…. The traditional British dressing down of achievement.. 😐

I thought Britain was fairly unique in dishing out knighthoods and giving the official title of “Sir” to worthy individuals ?

So what countries do you think Britain should emulate ?

lemonysam
    Free Member

I thought Britain was fairly unique in dishing out knighthoods and giving the official title of “Sir” to worthy individuals ?

Legion of Honour?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What is the official tittle of someone who has been awarded the Legion of Honour?

I assume that every time someone who has been awarded the Legion of Honour is addressed there is a reminder of the special award they have received ? Or is that just a British thing ?

lovewookie

a fine duellist won his fight,

yeah lets make him a knight. 🙂

that wasn’t supposed to rhyme btw….

lemonysam
    Free Member

I always thought you got to call yourself Chevalier of the Legion of Honour (or whichever rank you were awarded) but I can’t now find a source for that.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So instead of being called Monsieur Andy Murray he would be called Chevalier Andy ?

Cool 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

That would be especially awesome when the umpire has to call the score in-match.

konabunny
    Free Member

Who are knighthoods supposed to be for? Is Murray one of those people? And was the only person who looked a bigger **** courtside than bumface Cameron the sweaty figure of Alex Salmond waving a saltire?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you seem to be on the wrong thread kona try here

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/nationalist-celebrations

inbred853

Behave yourselves , look at the amount of MBEs & OBEs that were throw around after Engerlund won the minority sport centred around an urn of burnt wood, not much winging then was there 😈
    Just as well some BRITISH .. ahem, sportsmen won a thing or two this weekend.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

In time, yes

Right now, no

footflaps

Nope.

Jolsa

Having to deal with “so are you getting married” questions on The One Show?

Yes. Give the poor chap a knighthood…

mrmoofo

If he gets one now it really trivialises the honours system … even more that both parties have done so far …

Once he has done a little more and is 40, then maybe , yes …

It is still beyond me what the whole honours system is swayed toward the popular media – esp actors . FFS, they are getting honoured for pretending to be other people …
    I am absolutely sure, that out there in the real world, there are a huge number of people giving their all, and really deserve recognition from society …

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Should Murray get a knighthood ?’ is closed to new replies.