Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Should I take the GF to A&E?
  • oxnop
    Free Member

Don't want to put further strain on the NHS on his bank holiday Monday!

She went over her handlebars on a steep rocky descent at speed. She didn't extend her arm so the shoulder/side of neck took the full force.

She rides alot and has as many falls as the rest of us but normally doesn't complain, this time I had to ride home to collect the van as she couldn't extend her arm at all.

What should I do?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Yes.

gnusmas

best to be on the safe side, take her to get checked out. if as you say she never normally complains but couldn't complete the ride then she must be in pain. explain to A+E you don't want to waste their time but thought it would be better to be safe than sorry, they will appreciate that more than the usual 'i have a cold see me now'.

hope all works out well

ianpinder
    Free Member

If you don't want to go to a&e perhaps you could see if there is a walk in centre.
    Usually if I don't suspect a brake I leave it for a day or two, and if it has not improved with painkillers and r&r then I either go to the walk in or a&e

However sometimes it does get gradually worse over the next couple of hours then I go to a&e

scotia
    Free Member

if it was you would you want to go?

yes in other words

ianpinder
    Free Member

Have you asked her if she wants to go?

ratherbeintobago

If you don't want to go to a&e perhaps you could see if there is a walk in centre.

I'd go to A&E myself.

Andy

matt_outandabout

Go.

Divagirl
    Free Member

Go!! Hope she's ok

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

edited

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

sounds like a fractured clavicle or along the lines of a torn tendon in that area with bruising over the ligaments

MrNutt
    Free Member

yes.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE WITHOUT THE INTERNETS ! 🙄

grim168
    Free Member

Drop her off ( its a nice day out )and then pick her up when the docs have finished with her. 😀

oxnop
    Free Member

Hi (Mrs oxnop posting)

So he took me, the waiting room was packed and I thought I was going to be in there all day, but I was seen almost straight away. No broken bones (thank god, thought about the mtb holiday we have booked in October!) torn the ligaments between my collar bone and shoulder, should be feeling better towards the end of next week ( the doc said).

Glad I went TBH. Thanks for the concern 🙂

mudmonster
    Free Member

GO!

ianpinder
    Free Member

mudmonster – makes a change from being 2 minutes early 😆

Glad your ok mrs oxnop and back on the bike soon,

where you off on holiday?

scotia
    Free Member

shes been!

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

wat a guess!!

IdleJon

Now that we know all the facts, including a medical opinion, I'd say NO, don't bother! 😀

higgo
    Free Member

Nope, definitely not.

Divagirl
    Free Member

Glad nothing broken mrs oxnop. Hope the pain had subsided a bit. Phew about your holiday !!

Woody
    Free Member

Glad nothings broken and I'm impressed. The short wait at A+E obviously enabled you to fit in a trip to the registry office at the same time 😉

ianpinder
    Free Member

lol

Onzadog
    Free Member

Torn or pulled? If you've torn the AC then October might be a tad ambitious.

oxnop
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input. I knew that the STW massive would give sound advice!

We are off to Sierra Nevada on October 2nd, I was outside when the Dr was talking her through the X-rays and what his diagnosis may be. So…..

…..I ain't got a clue, and Sarah can't remember torn or pulled. I don't think we would know without a MRI scan anyway???

I'm just hoping she will be fighting fit for our hol!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I suffered a grade 1 ac separation at the start of May and was worried I wouldn't make my holiday in August. It's still sore now but I was out riding every day on holiday. Had it been a grade 2 or 3, I think it would have been a different story.

I have a really good osteopath and I think seeing her made a big difference. She explained that some of the advice I'd been given at A&E would have made it worse had I followed that. Made sense when she explained it, why would you swing your arm around when the tendons are damaged!

Hope you recover in time. With luck, it's just a sprain.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

If your asking this question,she needs to go to A&E

MikeWW
    Free Member

…..I ain't got a clue, and Sarah can't remember torn or pulled. I don't think we would know without a MRI scan anyway???

They can tell from the X rays. Torn will have higher level of separation between the 2 bones. Becoming an expert on this as I am sat at home with a grade 4

Junkyard
    Free Member

she couldn't extend her arm at all

Go FFS who will do the ironing /housework now ?

IGMC Jim Davidson wants his jolkes back anyway
    PS
    Glad you are OK

Onzadog
    Free Member

MikeWW, grade 4, that sucks. I'm supposed to feel lucky with my grade 1 but it's not been any fun.

They diagnosed mine just be looking at my shoulder then confirmed it with x-rays.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Glad nothings broken. Hope you mend fast 🙂

MikeWW
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member

MikeWW, grade 4, that sucks. I'm supposed to feel lucky with my grade 1 but it's not been any fun.

They diagnosed mine just be looking at my shoulder then confirmed it with x-rays.

Yes. Did it on Medusas Drop at Dalby warming up for the British champs round there. Got it operated on within 2 weeks to put it all back in the right place but it was another 5 weeks before I could drive and even now 8 weeks since the accident it is going to be at least a month before I am even back out on the road. No cross racing before Xmas and 2011 before I will be back on the mountain bike

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Should I take the GF to A&E?’ is closed to new replies.