Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Should i replace my new dx 900 lumen torch
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

with a exposure joystick at 300 lumens???

may sound a silly question, but i find the dx torch a bit heavy, the exposure is 50grams lighter and slimmer at the front of the torch..

also more importantly, the beam pattern, the dx is bright dont get me wrong for a helmet light (also have light on bars) but its just one big bright spot, where as im guessing he joystick are a nice focused bike design type light with all round better lighting and colour?

can any one share a comparison if they have used both or infact own both???

i know ill be losing a claimed 600 lumens, going from 900 to 300 (but theres no way its 900lumens anyways etc)

and also the joystick runs on high for 3 hours meaning no changing batteries every hour etc etc….

GW
    Free Member

50g? run your DX on medium and MTFU

jools182
    Free Member

I’d keep the DX for as long as it works for

unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket

richpips
    Free Member

The DX runs for ~3hrs.

50g LOL

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

3hours run time? not on the batteries ive got? 2400mah trustfires last 1hr 10 mins max!

50g doesnt sound a lot i know, im not a weight weenie, its more as its quite heavy and cumbersone on the bonce, and im quite light and weak 😆

love to know how you get 3 hours off the torch thought??!?!?!?

poppa
    Free Member

Dont know which DX you have but mine runs for 3hrs on max power. Not light, not small, but plenty bright and cheap.

toons
    Free Member

Put the torch on from the start of the ride, you’ll get used to it and MTFU!!

I wouldn’t buy a joystick for the 50g difference.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12325

is the one im running, im impressed with it tbh, wish it was a tad smaller – sure i would get used to it though…….

if its not worth the money for better beam etc etc i wont bother, just on the off chance someoen could compare the too….

that said if i can get 3 hours out of it on one battery then id defo keep it! seen some 3000mah ones but dont know if they are ok to use, or whether they will just overheat and blow it up 😆

richpips
    Free Member

Ahh, a proper torch, thought you were on about a bike light.

Still for the mega price difference, I’d buy a few batteries.

hillsplease

Like he said. Batteries are cheap.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I have a feeling anything designed for helmet use like the joystick will be quite a tight spot – I think from what I remember of the last joystick I saw, if anything my dx torch is a wider beam. Although that was about 3 years back, so not the latest version.

A bit late to say this, but personally I think the torches with a high,medium and low beam are much better than the two mode – the medium beam will last for ages (over two hours I think), and the low is usable on uphills / easy stuff. I got a good two hours of riding out of one battery last night, using high for downhills, medium and low for uphills. You get annoying flashy modes, but it is easy to flick through them.

The joystick is very very small and light, which is nice. But it is a hell of a lot less bright than a DX torch.

Joe

bigjim

I have that DX torch and the 240 lumen 08 joystick maxx. Keep the torch ;o) The ‘new’ joystick bar holder (and not the zip tie and piece of plastic I got with mine) does fit the torch perfectly at the back which is nice, though its not far off the cost of the torch itself iirc.

either take a few batteries, or do what I’ve just started doing and hack the torch into a head unit and battery pack running two batteries. Or get fancy and try and find a driver for the torch and run even more batteries.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool it seems the consensus is to stick with what i have – masses amount of lighting are not the issue though may i add – i have an exposure maxx daddy with 960 lumens, the torhc is a added extra to give me a better view where i going to be heading (in woods etc) and looking at the ground etc for tree stumps etc etc…..i thought if the beam was more focused and a nice clear crisp white it may be better in addition to my already pretty powerful 960 maxx daddy?

bigjim

well based on the 240 lumen joystick i have, if you have such a big light already on the bars, you won’t be using it to look further ahead, but it would be fine for filling in the gaps around the front wheel when cornering/blinding fellow riders etc.

legspin
    Free Member

I have 2 DX torches, and was going to mount one to my helmet but it just felt wrong. To heavy and made the helmet wobble unless I really tightened it. It may be because I have a Giro E2 lid and it doesn’t have a vertical vent so the light is off centre.
    So anyway have got a joystick mk5 and it brilliant, You pays your money and takes your choice.
    I now use 2 torches mounted on the bars with the joystick on my lid 😀

and the weight difference feels more than 50g to my uncalibrated fingers but maybe that’s just me

Northwind

The Joystick is a bit too tight, and you don’t get an awful lot of benefit from it- it needs the narrow throw to make up for its low power. You get a wee bit more range than a P7 but not a lot. The weight difference isn’t much but if you mount the light closer in if possible, that’ll help- it’s the leverage more than the weight that makes some head lights feel so ponderous.

Nothing wrong with the idea of a spotlight and a floodlight but in practice 2 powerful floods is usually just about as effective as a flood and a weaker spot at range, and up close it’s better. You need grunt and throw to get a really effective longer range beam, something like a Seca maybe.

If you want to give it a try though you could grab an XPG torch for about £15, it’ll perform just as well as a Joystick.

Mugboo

I run my Dx torch on max and although we never ride much more than 2hrs at night it never runs out. Maybe you need new batterys rather than a new headtorch?

BadlyWiredDog

If you truly want to blow money, forget the Joystick, buy a Diablo instead and run it with a Piggyback – you can run equivalent to Joystick level for ages without a Piggyback, but add a supplementary battery and you have the option of mahoosive light when you need it. If you baulk at the price of a bona fide Piggback battery, Smudge’ll build you one a lot cheaper, though it won’t be sealed like the Exposure one.

That would be my ‘money no object’ solution – the Diablo is only marginally heavier than a Joystick, but seriously brighter. And before anyone tells me it’s an expensive and excessive option, I know, it all depends on how much you ride and how profligate you’re feeling. ‘Profligate’, what a great word that is…

Oh, and as a bonus, the Diablo makes an ace bar light for a road bike if you have one, strap the Piggyback onto the stem. Blah.

Northwind

“Mugboo – Member

I run my Dx torch on max and although we never ride much more than 2hrs at night it never runs out. Maybe you need new batterys rather than a new headtorch?”

What sort of torch is it? You won’t get full power for 2 hours out of a P7 with a single 18650 cell, the numbers just don’t work. Assuming it’s not got some sort of restriction in it reducing the drain from the start (and therefore the light) It’ll still be making a fair amount of light (assuming the circuitry doesn’t cut it out for low voltage) but way down on full power.

But, if you have a different emitter then sure, it might well be at full whack after 2 or 3 hours but only by being less bright in the first place.

Mugboo

Northwind

I’ll have to have a look at it. It is a Dx Mt something or other that has 3 modes of brightness and 2 strobe modes. Over all my winter rides last year i only remember changing the battery once while i was out?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Should i replace my new dx 900 lumen torch’ is closed to new replies.