Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)
  • Should I get some XT brakes?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Really, how was the power measured?
    Won what? Did STW have a “most powerful brake test”?
    What issue? Ill dig out the digital edition

bwaarp
    Free Member

Wrecker, did you notice the X2 Races were more powerful on the dyno in the MBuk test as well? As well as being as light as the XTR’s for half the price. :mrgreen:

In fact if the OP seems to be happy with the reliability of his Hopes, should he not be going for the Race Evo X2’s instead…seeing as they are only a little more expensive than the XT’s, more powerful and a LOT lighter.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

The Hope X2 Race were more powerful than XT’s in the recent STW brake test

Having owned standard X2s in the past, I cant believe that for a minute (unless Hope were providing backhanders)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bwaarp
    Free Member

bigdug…..the race or the tech lever…..firstly the race lever is actually more powerful than the tech lever….secondly the new evo’s are meant to be quite a bit more powerful. So the Race Evo’s could be considerably more powerful than the ones you owned if they were bog standard tech X2’s.

wrecker
    Free Member

I wonder why the XTs got a better review (and score) than all of the hope brakes?
    Oh and the evo X2s aren’t as powerful as any of the shimano brakes

bwaarp
    Free Member

I wonder why the XTs got a better review (and score) than all of the hope brakes?

Because they are 40 quid an end cheaper? That seems to be the only reason because they rave about the reliability and power of the Race Evo X2s.

And yes the Race Evo X2s are as powerful as the Shimanos.

“All the brakes were tested with a 180mm rotor and a 50Nm force on the lever (1N is the amount of force required to accelerate 1kg at 1m/s2), with the stock pads”

Hope X2 Race Evo 110 nm

Shimano XT M785 107 nm

You lose.

wrecker
    Free Member

£200 per end vs £70odd?
    They should have scored a good few stars more than the hopes that’s for sure!
    I paid less than half of what you did for my brakes for equal performance. I reckon I win. 😆

bwaarp
    Free Member

We’re talking just brake caliper/lever right? 70 quid for the SLX and about 99 quid for the XT right? I wanted bite point adjustment, they only come on the XT’s. 140 for the race Evos or in my case the tech v2s, so thats 40 quid an end more. The bite point adjuster doesn’t even work on the XTs.

If I bought the shimanos factor in a small fortune for the finned pads! I’d make up the difference in brake system cost on the price of the shimano finned pads when out in the Alps for a couple of months (aka this summer).

I thought of long term costs, you just thought of initial costs. Who’s the fool now? :mrgreen:

bwaarp
    Free Member

So basically, if I bought two sets of finned pads for the front and rear I’d spend 120 quid. That’s value for money there. 😆 In one year of riding I could go through far more, so in terms of cost I could get better heat performance by going to V2’s and even have some money spare to spend on Castrol SRF or Motul 600 brake fluid.

wrecker
    Free Member

Well XTs are available from rise bikes for less than £70 per end. As has been stated long ago, you do not need finned pads. Normal pads are available for the same price as hope ones, that are fine particularly if you don’t drag too much.

you just thought of initial costs. Who’s the fool now?

That would someone who has not been very wise with their coin, unlike me 😀
    The finned pad point isn’t valid, let it go.

skywalker
    Free Member

So even the X2 Race are more powerful, better built, better looking, more serviceable, and have better modulation than the XT’s.

The only thing is the price, but you expect to pay more for a superior product 😉

Northwind

Bwaaarp, you’ve got a software issue that you’ve fixed with hardware. No problem with that, but recommending the same hardware to people who don’t have the software issue doesn’t make any sense.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Shimanos are for simple people, Hope’s are for the intelligent discerning type that doesn’t like to throw away parts needlessly and who know their way round a bike mechanically. So there.

To be fair, its the other way round. If you know your stuff, you buy shimano cos they are cheap and get on with the job. The simpletons buy the hopes because they are wooed by the “cnc machining” “made in the uk” “best of british” “fancy anodizing” etc. etc.

I bought some hope minis cos I saw a decent deal 2nd hand and wanted to try them. My 5 year old XT’s were better (but its too late now) If you kancker a seal or whatev,er a replacement caliper costs **** all anyway.

If you want form over function, buy some hopes. If you’re “in the know” then you’ll buy Shimano as they work really well and cost **** all. Basically, you’ve got to be a bit of an idiot to be able to justify spending all that extra money on hope brakes.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Really? Because last time I checked, the XT’s were having their fair share of problems with reliability?

Why did they feel the need to go with finned pads and Icetech rotors? Possibly because of the fact that they use mineral oil that has a low boiling temperature, whilst the rest of the mountain biking and motor racing world uses DOT fluid. I somehow doubt the Shimanos, without the icetech rotors and finned pads dump less heat into the hydraulics than other competing brands that use DOT fluid.

I’m glad you lot your plasticy disposable pieces of crap! 😉 Enjoy them!

Bwaaarp, you’ve got a software issue that you’ve fixed with hardware. No problem with that, but recommending the same hardware to people who don’t have the software issue doesn’t make any sense.

I replaced my brakes for mostly hardware reasons. My Oros needed too much maintenance, more than any of my hopes did and the pistons sticking on a ride was the final straw.

I wasn’t making any such advice, the OP was wondering whether he should stay with his Hopes. Brakes that he is happy with. The XT’s are not much lighter, replacing the goodridge hoses would bring the weights closer if not together and both systems appear to be as powerful.

So what’s the point of changing? According to some on here though Hope’s are so shit and XT’s are so amazing that you should dump your hopes right away and spend another 200 quid on a new brake system. What’s the point when the one you have is just as good, maybe worse in some respects and better in others.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks hopes are underpowered has not used a set that were working properly. I have them on all my bikes – reliable and work well. Long pad life as well

some folk mistake the soft lever feel which means greater modulation but less initial bite as a lack of power. Me I like the modulation and don’t like the feel of shimanos but that is about preference.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Mr Plow, I’ve used both the resin and sintered pads. I have got good life out of both.

The pads costing a fortune…. I generally pay about £24 IIRC vs about £18 for normal manufacturer pads. You can also get cheaper pads without the fins if you want.

I’m very happy with my XT’s. I’ve just bought another set to standardise the brakes across both my bikes. No issues, although it does seem like there have been some quality issues with seals on some brakes. I’d be very wary about basing a decision on dyno tests! There are so many factors which tell you how good a brake is and I just can’t see those being replicated under pristine lab conditions!

Would I change to XT from Hope? Probably not. I’ve heard good reports of the new hope too. I went for XT based on cost and performance and so far it’s been a good decision for me. I’d used Avid before and the XT’s are a big step up in reliability. I did a write up on my ‘site if you’re interested. It doesn’t compare them to the Hope’s, it’s just about the XT’s. XT Brake Reveiw

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I can guarantee in a couple of years of riding something will go wrong with the Shimanos as well.

Really?

I have 6 pairs of Shimano brakes, some date back to the old 4 pot XT in about 2003. None of them has ever gone wrong, none has ever even needed a bleed just a change of pads every few months.

I didn’t boil the brakes in the Alps, the guides I was with used Shimano after too many Hope failures.

You don’t need finned pads or Ice-tech rotors, certainly not for UK riding anyway.

All the Shimano failures you go on about; is that maybe because there are far more Shimano brakes out there than Hope brakes?

Hope used to be notorious for boiling the brakes which is why they brought out the phenolic pistons. They denied there were any problems and blamed the user for a long time though.

Hope also had huge issues with the original Mini with squealing problems. Again always blamed on bad set up/not facing the mounts etc, but strangely no other brake had this problem on the same mounts.

I’m not anti Hope at all, but please don’t do the Hope are perfect, Shimano are unreliable thing. Any individual brake can have issues but to say that you can guarantee Shimano brakes will go wrong makes you look a bit foolish and hysterical.

jam-bo

some folk mistake the soft lever feel which means greater modulation but less initial bite as a lack of power. Me I like the modulation and don’t like the feel of shimanos but that is about preference.

Maybe at mincing speeds but I like brakes that work when I want them, not 20yds later.,..

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have had a few sets of Hope’s, inlcuding the Tech M4’s & V2’s.

I don’t have any Hope brakes any more. From experience they require a reasonable amount of TLC to keep them working, and I can’t be bothered with that, when there are alternatives out there that don’t.

The V2’s were powerfull, but riding, and racing DH and extended alpine holiday’s I don’t need that amount of power, so I sold them off mine, and my wife’s bikes. They are also boat anchors in terms of weight.

I chucked a 6 year old set of Saint’s back on her bike, and I have a set of 4 year old M775 XT’s on mine. Neither have ever had anything done, apart from a couple of bleeds & new pads.

Like anything, the sheer number of Shimano brakes out there, there will be people with problems, but then they are probably selling brakes in multiples of thousands over the likes of Hope, who to be fair also have their fair share of issues.

I’m not sure why the point is being laboured about the finned pads being required & expensive, you don’t have to use them? Much like the vented or floating rotors, they are mostly marketing b*llocks for an MTB.

As for people boiling brakes, there could be a case for using them properly rather than hanging on for dear life, dragging and wobbling your way down a hill…

kaesae
    Free Member

I’ve run hope brakes for years, then I got some XT brakes on ebay cheaply for my run about / shop bike, absolutely loved them. At the time I was learning braking and developing my braking techniques and they were so much better than the hope brakes on my actual AM/XC bike.

Then I bought a DH bike and it came with Hope Moto’s, so I ran them for a couple of months, they are awful brakes, back in the day they where better than hayes or avid, maybe even the older shimano brakes.

But compared to the newer shimano brakes, hahahaha! they are all show and no go, shiny, flashy, fancy pants expensive, the choice of champion chumps!

Sing it with me!

Hope! they’re shiny, flashy, fancy pants expensive, the choice of champion chumps!

Buy a cheapo set of XT brakes of ebay, one of my sets costs £42 the first set I got and the other set cost £88 and they are like new.

trailhound
    Free Member

Seems everywhere you look the new shimano brakes are getting good reviews, does anybody know if the discs are centre lock only as surely that would mean new hubs? Or can u get 6bolt/ adaptors?

skywalker
    Free Member

I can guarantee in a couple of years of riding something will go wrong with the Shimanos as well.

Someone I ride with bought some XT’s and on every single ride so far he has had to piss about with them because they haven’t been working properly. When they do work they are on and off like a switch, my X2’s not only have as much power, they feel 10 times better. He even said he wished he bought X2’s.

Seems everywhere you look the new shimano brakes are getting good reviews

But Hope are winning the tests. Even that isn’t enough for some, Hope must be paying them off 🙄

kaesae
    Free Member

All my wheels are 6 bolt rotors, if you have 6 bolt hubs then you run 6 bolt rotors, I’m running hope and aligator rotors with mine!

mrplow
    Free Member

Doug, thanks for the reply. I have been running the std resin pads so far and they are lasting very well but have not done any wet alpine DHs with them. :mrgreen:

To the OP – don’t see the point in you changing. There are enough people on here fighting to show both are pretty good.

flow
    Free Member

STW Issue 70

XT M785

The XT callipers are pretty and the levers are cutely compact,
    resembling small pistols. Remember the first time you tried
    Saint brakes and thought ‘**** me they’re pretty powerful’?
    Well, the new XTs have a similar feel. Initially power is good
    and then it just keeps coming. We couldn’t imagine needing
    that much power at first, but you do get used to it although
    it’s quite hard to make use of it in a useful and controlled
    manner. These are ideal for speed-scrubbers. At first braking
    is very binary and really feels like a switch, with little middle
    ground for feeling what the brake is actually doing. This does
    improve as you get used to it but not a great deal. The levers
    are small and sweet and ideal for one finger braking, as well as
    mating neatly with Shimano’s shifters. The IceTech ‘keeping
    it cool’ technology in the rotors and pads is a good idea for
    Alpine riding but most UK riders will be fine to replace the
    supplied finned pads with cheaper, un-finned versions.
    Overall: A powerful brake best paired with a skilled, fast
    rider who doesn’t brake very much. A tad too grabby for
    milder riding/riders though.

Hope X2 Race

There’s no denying that Hope brakes will always look cool
    to certain riders. If you like engineering, you love Hope.
    The Race Evo levers are Hope’s best ever lever in our
    opinion: minimalist and crisp, without being spindly or
    harsh-edged. The drilled blade can feel odd to un-gloved
    fingers (although who doesn’t wear full finger gloves these
    days?), but the shape of the lever is just perfect. Reminiscent
    of old Shimano XT V-brake levers, but even better. The X2
    calliper doesn’t deliver quite as much power as other brand’s
    top-end offerings but it’s more than ample for cross-country/
    trail riding. It’s the feel and feedback of the lever that is
    this system’s trump card. You know exactly how the rotor
    is interacting with the pad and, as a result, you know even
    more about what’s going on with your tyre traction. There’s
    no adjustment on offer apart from Allen key reach adjust
    but thankfully the lever feel is simply spot on. The rotors do
    a great job of keeping the levels of power and feel nice and
    high, too.
    Overall: Destined to be a classic brake. Nigh-on perfect
    for virtually all UK riding and riders. Good weight,
    decent power and immense feel.

Conclusion

There are four clear and distinct favourites in this test. On the power
    front, the Shimano XT brakes were definitely the most effortlessly
    powerful units we tested. If you ride very fast, never scrub speed or
    drag your brakes, and generally rarely brake unless you absolutely
    have to then you’ll love the XTs. If you’re on a budget, the Gusset
    Hydro Chute brakes are brilliant. Power, feel, consistency – pick three.
    In the mid-range ‘everyman’ class, it’s a fine line between the Avid
    Elixir 7 and the Hope Race Evo X2. The Avids shade it on the power
    front but the Hopes edge ahead on the feel front. It’s easy to find an
    argument for either brake but ultimately, we’re giving the final nod
    to the Hopes. As well as a proven track record in serviceability, spares,
    warranty back up and ease-of-bleeding that comes with Hope brakes,
    they just felt better more of the time. Stick a bigger rotor up front if
    you want/need more power.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Someone I ride with bought some XT’s and on every single ride so far he has had to piss about with them because they haven’t been working properly. When they do work they are on and off like a switch, my X2’s not only have as much power, they feel 10 times better. He even said he wished he bought X2’s.

That sounds very much like they have not been bled properly, especially if your x2 feel as powerful.

rhid

I kind of wish I hadn’t asked now, who would have thought people would be so passionate about their brake brand!

I have the Dyfi coming up so will postpone any decisions until after that. Thanks for all the replies.

grum
    Free Member

Formula The Ones have the best power/weight ratio out there I think – and they must be the best cos I’ve got them. Miles more powerful than my mate’s XTs btw.

fairhurst
    Free Member

I find mt XT brakes thoroughly brilliant on all fronts, a big thumbs up from Fairhurst
    wonderful

flow
    Free Member

These are ideal for speed-scrubbers

No wonder the XT’s are so popular on here…

skywalker
    Free Member

Thats the test I was on about Flow, did you type all that out yourself from the magazine? 😕

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well, the new XTs have a similar feel…………….
    it’s quite hard to make use of it in a useful and controlled
    manner. ………At first braking
    is very binary and really feels like a switch, with little middle
    ground for feeling what the brake is actually doing.

Hope X2 Race

It’s the feel and feedback of the lever that is
    this system’s trump card. You know exactly how the rotor
    is interacting with the pad and, as a result, you know even
    more about what’s going on with your tyre traction.

This is the key thing for me but no doubt its a bit of a personal preference thing.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

And apparently you And flow are posting from the same IP address.

You need to sign up to that register you were on about.

For those of you reading this thread, flow and skywalker ars the same person.

flow
    Free Member

Thats the test I was on about Flow, did you type all that out yourself from the magazine?

No I copy and pasted it from the PDF

skywalker
    Free Member

And apparently you And flow are posting from the same IP address.

You need to sign up to that register you were on about.

For those of you reading this thread, flow and skywalker ars the same person.

Yawn.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Indeed, you need help

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have two sets of the the latest XTs. The oldest is about 7 months.

TBH I don’t recognise them as the same brakes from the reviews.

I find them smooth, easily modulated but not squishy. They’re only slightly more powerful than the formula Oros they replaced, rather than these ‘eye-popping power’ XTs I read about.

I’ve always preferred a slightly more firm brake – always liked the feel of Hayes HFX for example, but the XTs aren’t really that much more firm than the oros.

According to the reviews, this makes me a ‘fast rider that doesn’t brake much’ and this couldn’t really be further from the truth.

Just goes to show you cant always believe the reviews.

kaesae
    Free Member

The thing about reviews is that you get what you pay for, if a reviewer is recieving a good amount of freebies or even money from a certain company, I think that might have an impact on the reviews.

For example no matter what goes wrong CRC are still the best company for service 😆

Before I forget, OP! YES YOU SHOULD!!!!!!

Konastoner
    Free Member

+1

Before I forget, OP! YES YOU SHOULD!!!!!!

I bought mine from Rosebikes, lever swap over kit & free backpack £118 posted – extremely happy.

bwaarp
    Free Member

So we’re going with which one “feels” more powerful as opposed to dyno testing then?

I’ll start taking homeopathic medicine then cuz it feels like it works.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Should I get some XT brakes?’ is closed to new replies.