Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Should I get a Trek EX8 or live without carpet & get a Zesty 514?
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Apparently part of being a grown up is not spending ALL your money on bikes…

So I’m thinking of getting the Trek EX8 wsd – still a good bike a I’m sure, but… before I was thinking ‘sensibly’ I sort of set my heart on the Zesty 514L…

So what do you think? Will I regret missing out on the Zesty and therefore never fully love the Trek as I should – or will I regret living without carpet and sort-furnishings more? (And actually once riding love the Trek and forget all about the Zesty?)

jam-bo

carpet is overrated.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Just clean and polish your floorboards then get the zesty

rOcKeTdOg

who needs a carpet? just get a dustpan and brush

dicky
    Free Member

I’d say get the Trek, the Ex’s are great bikes.

Mind you, if you’ve test ridden them both and prefer the Zesty then it doesn’t matter what other people say, I guess you’ll always think “if only I’d got the Zesty…” if you buy the Trek.

Zesty it is then….

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I remember a viz top tip which reccomended that you just fasten two squares of carpet to your feet for that luxury carpet feel, without the expense.

Maybe that’s a go-er.

” Hi Mr carpet shop man, how much is that carpet a square foot?”

“£15”

“Champion, I’ll take 2”

🙂

mojo5pro
    Free Member

sell your house and get an Orange

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Hehe, I like the carpet square idea, but with visitors it could get pricey!

I haven’t ridden either yet – I just love the look/idea of the Zesty (dangerous I know). I’ve got a demo of the Zesty booked, but I don’t really want to take it if I can’t afford it and have to go for the Trek… there is the possibility I’d perfer the Trek but can I take that risk?!

unfortunately the floor boards are awful!

sharki
    Free Member

I’d look into trying out a cube

I’m not helping am ? 😆

i’ll sort the e-mail out now…..

BigDummy
    Free Member

You do not mention whether your decision has to be approved by a Woman. If it does, you are going to end up with the carpet, some scatter cushions, a nest of occasional tables, a cream-coloured sofa that you aren’t allowed to sit on. And a secondhand inbred.

ziwi
    Free Member

If you like the zesty and can’t afford the 514, why not go for the 314, its a better colour (well it is white may be fashionable now but it won’t be in a week or two), the important things like forks, brakes etc are all good, you can upgrade other stuff later. Saying that I have a trek EX9.5 but got it for a bit of a bargain

coopersport1
    Free Member

I like the Zesty although I wouldn’t swap it for my Orange 5! Go without carpet, at least when you bring said muddy new bike in, the floor will be easier to clean.

cinnamon_girl

Until you’ve demo’d you will never know! Did you demo a Juliana in the end?

FWIW I love my mid-life crisis bike, it was a stupid amount of money but the fun I have riding her is priceless 😀

cinnamon_girl

Forgot to mention that at one stage I had concrete floors and no furniture in my lounge but I had a Ti as an ornament. I’m dead classy 8)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Zesty!

sharki
    Free Member

Sssssssssssh! She WANTS a fs but NEEDS to stick with a SS ht 😉

MM, i’ll sort your floors out when you get the mount vision….

DrP

BigDummy – zero points for failing to pick up sex of OP there….!

Trek WSD, demo’d a Juliana….
    In the style of David Walliams, “I’m a lady…”

DrP

avdave2

Toss a coin.

Your reaction to the result is the important thing the result itself is irrelevant

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’m going to be properly sensible this time and take Cinnamon girl’s and Sharki’s advice and go and try a load. I think I’ll probably have to take Sharki’s other piece of advice first though and set a budget beforehand – otherwise trying certain bikes could be dangerous!

I’ll start with the Trek as soon as I can find somewhere to demo one, and CG I think I will try and demo a Juliana so will probably be in touch. Oh and as for the concrete floors and ti frame as an ornament – now that is classy!

Thanks again everyone and I’ll try not to bother you until I’ve ridden at least one! MM

Travis

my wife tried out lots of bikes before settling on a Juliana… she liked the colour, and we built it up ourselves, so now it looks lovely
    She’s also tiny, just over 5ft

vrepami
    Free Member

my wife tried out lots of bikes before settling on a Juliana… she liked the colour, and we built it up ourselves, so now it looks lovely

😆

spooky_b329

My girlfriend has the Zesty (last years 514 ‘as she liked the colour’).

She also got the small blokes version as she was worried the women specific ones would be too short, oh, and she didn’t like the colour of the womens versions 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Should I get a Trek EX8 or live without carpet & get a Zesty 514?’ is closed to new replies.