Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Should I fit a new chain
  • charliemort

Chain is 0.75 (mm I guess) worn, chainring is new (new crank) cassette part worn. Chain is pretty loose on chain ring

best to change the chain? I think probably yes but chain may not work with cassette

thanks

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I usually catch my chain at somewhere between 0.75 and 1.0 and change it then, so don’t wait for 1.0. So yes, i’d change it. Chains are cheap sacrificial parts and regular changing extends the life of more expensive components.

scotroutes

Try it. Put the old one back on if there are problems.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    philjunior
    Free Member

Yes, give it a couple of rides if it’s a bit skippy on the cassette as it usually beds in in ~ the time it takes for a replacement cassette to arrive.
    Oh and the .75 is % :).

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I would, plus I’d try to within reason treat bike as single speed for a few miles, due to the part worn cassette.

vincienup
    Free Member

I probably would, but if this was a 1×11 or Eagle bike I’d be kicking myself and hoping I hadn’t screwed the cassette; generally best cassette life on the 1x’s seems to be swapping at .50

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Buy two or three chains and use them in rotation. This also provides the opportunity to thoroughly clean and relubricate them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Should I fit a new chain’ is closed to new replies.