Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Should I feel guilty for not doing more to help my neighbours clear our road?
  • malgrey
    Free Member

There are a few folk on the street who make a bit of an effort, me included. Sadly there are plenty who don’t, yet the grit bin is often emptied mysteriously and people’s front steps and drive covered in grit, yet the road to them still covered in snow…nobody will be surprised to learn this is Surrey.

Of our 6 flats, my immediate neighbour is a star, always getting on with it, but most others don’t bother and I’ve occasionally had to clear our whole shared drive (moderate 20 yard slope) on my own whilst the others watched from their windows. Funny how I then only did mine and said immediate neighbours car spaces, eh? I bought the communal shovel, neighbour bought our grit.

No proper snow here though this time, but the roads were damp and temperature dropping, so went out to the grit box by the short steep bit of the street, only to find the grit completely solid and I hadn’t brought any sort of tool out. Scraped enough with my gloves to get the key bit done…hopefully.

Over at Leith Hill earlier. Reckon it would be fun riding on the Surrey Hills tomorrow morning, proper snow mostly confined to the top 100 feet but couple of inches of proper crunchy snow. Lower down was slush which will freeze tonight to nastyness I suppose…

squirrelking
    Free Member

No snow here but I usually clear the path out from the back (shared as I’m mid terrace) then shovel the pavement snow onto the road (mainly to stop people parking on it) then grit it. I think I’m the only person in miles who bothers, it’s always someone else’s job…

angeldust
    Free Member

globalti – Member

Was out yesterday leafleting houses in hilly areas with Ibizas and Polos parked outside in an attempt to sell Mrs Gti’s winter Ibiza tyres and was pleased to find that even with wide tyres my diesel Passat was good in snow if I just allowed it to bumble along on tickover, which is walking pace. As soon as I gave it throttle the wheels span and it began to slide.

This mad, obsessive behaviour continues to fascinate me! Please let us know if you have any responses or success. Going out to do it in the snow, seems even more mad*. How much are you prepared to spend to get them sold? Are they cursed or something, and must be got rid of at all costs?!?

* No more mad then me falling over constantly while battling the snow yesterday on a ride, but that’s normal for here….

Oh, I cleared the road and driveway leading up to our house, for the benefit of ourselves (other half does not like parking on ice) and neighbours. Nobody came out to help, but quite happy to do it myself.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Should I feel guilty for not doing more to help my neighbours clear our road?’ is closed to new replies.