Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Should i buy this old'ish Jag?
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for a new second car and came across this.

This Jag on the bay

Is this a bad idea for a second car that wont do much milage. I appreciate running costs will be high and if it needs work i will get stung but look how cheep it is!!!

nealglover
    Free Member

Link not working.

matt_outandabout

If so, I reckon it is too new to be cheap to run when it goes wrong…I have a theory about buying next car pre-someofthefaffyelectronicsandgizmo’s….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

7 previous owners! 😯

What does that tell you?

uwe-r
    Free Member

Yes just spotted that. 7 owners in 13 years is not so good but still look how cheap it is!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If yo want an old jag its got to be an xj 6 or 12 surely?

wwaswas

but still look how cheap it is

if you’re prepared to walk away from it when faced with the first big bill then go for it. Just don’t get sucked into a couple of £1k bills to keep it on the road.

butcher

Plenty of cheap cars with big engines about. No reason why you should get that particular one.

failedengineer

I love jags, me. What could go wrong?

IGMC

butcher

Just don’t get sucked into a couple of £1k bills to keep it on the road.

No reason why you should. I have always run cars older than 10 years, and repairs have never cost me more than £200. You can pay that on a tyre.

Almost all parts can be sourced second hand. Most can be fitted by yourself. If you’re willing to put a bit of time in, maintenance is generally the cheapest part of owning a car like that.

Insurance, fuel and tax, won’t be….

So long as you don’t buy a dog you’ll be OK.

spooky_b329

Its not cheap until the auction has ended!

Bregante

Indeed

uwe-r
    Free Member

Insurance quote is £750. I paid about £500 last time on a 1.4 Megane. so insurance isnt to bad.

Having done a search for simlar cars nationwide there seems to be lots of these about that people cant sell, some with 2 or 3 owners which i would be more comfortable with.

br
    Free Member

Not cheap really, about the norm for larger engined petrol cars.

I’ve run a 535i for 4 years now, no real big bills and if you do get one you can just ‘walk’.

EDIT – look for comp insurance, mine is cheaper that way.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

apart from the fact it looks disgusting?

trail_rat
    Free Member

That the rover 75 one or the mondeo based one ? Both were shite iirc

konabunny
    Free Member

I’d rather have the Tranny in the background.

uwe-r
    Free Member

It does look rank but so does the Megane it would be replacing but in addition that is also mechanically shit as well as aesthetically shit.

donsimon
    Free Member

You really do want it, don’t you?

mboy
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    POSTED 41 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Agree with TJ here… S Types are pretty naff cars at best, and to be honest, won’t be all that quick which a car with a litre engine should be.

butcher – Member
    Plenty of cheap cars with big engines about. No reason why you should get that particular one.
    POSTED 38 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

To this I will add plenty of “much better” cars with big engines about on the cheap… Get a Beemer with a 3 litre six in, or a 4 litre V8, and you’d wonder why you ever looked at the naff wannabe retro jag. Running costs will be much lower too, as they were much more reliable. Cheapest car I ever ran was a 14 year old BMW 540i with 150k on the clock (excluding the fuel of course). Insurance was only about 100 quid a year more than a Golf TDi, any parts I needed (not many!) I could source second hand or from GSF, and it was a rock solid piece of German engineering. You want a decent old Jag, go for a mid 90’s XJ6, not an S type!

toby1

So the one pictures Alloy is a rear wheel – suggesting the fronts are a mess! I’d go for something different like an old 5 series!

toby1
    WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I always buy big old cars. They are nice and comfortable and
    just budget for some bills. I needed £1,200 for tyres on my second MOT which made my eye water for the merc but still a lovely car.

Go for it if you want it

mattbee

Surely this was a perfect opportunity to try and shift on your TVR Mr WCA?

martymac

if you want a cheap old jag youd be much better getting an x type (which is based not so loosely on a mondeo) imo.
    but as said above, beemer would be a better bet.

ziggy
    Free Member

I bought an S Type a few years back, 1 owner, FSH, thought I was onto a bargain.

Turns out I was wrong, had an engine management fault after 3 months, turns out it needed a complete new exhaust system and cats. £1200 just for the parts 😯

My advice, steer clear.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Not for me in the end.

Sold at £821.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Should i buy this old'ish Jag?’ is closed to new replies.