• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Should I buy a turbo, and if so what one ?
  • iainc

Off bike with a broken shoulder and if I get the immobilising brace off in a couple of weeks I need to get some exercise. I’m expecting a few months of physio before getting back on bike and will be doing as much walking at weekends as family life allows.

I haven’t ridden a turbo for a decade plus, having sold my little used one due lack of use; I found it mind numbing boring back then. However maybe needs must and I have both a Croix De fer and a carbon Defy, either of which could I guess go on a turbo. Would probably use the CDF rather than the summer bike. So, should I buy one ? Maybe..and if so what do I need that won’t break the bank ? Trainer, wheel block, tyre ? Other bits ?

I’d be setting it up in integral garage, so have light and power.

richardk
    Free Member

Get a subscription to Sufferfest or Zwift – makes training much more engaging than staring at a set of numbers or a wall.

type of trainer will depend on your budget – wheel off is better but more expensive.

Stick what bike you want on there – I believe Giant have recently updated their warranty to say turbo use is OK

rsvktm

A smart turbo, kickr in my case, kept me going a few years ago when I dislocated and fractured shoulder. Having the resitance altered and the availability of programs that take all the thinking away was perfect for me. Ended up giving me motivation to hit figures.

Good luck with rehab, do the exercises given. I still do mine, not as often as should but helps.

Northwind

I have a cheap tacx one, and good headphones, so I just sit on it and plod out intervals while watching dvds. I’d love a smart trainer tbh but all I need is the basics

fossy

Tacx T2240 (under £200 if you can – Halfords usually) and Zwift.

Got a dedicated ex. office i5 PC in my garage and 2 x 22″ monitors – one screen has Zwift, whilst my music is on the other screen, and a cheap sound bar for sound.

You are still looking at a few hundred quid layout, plus subscription if you don’t have a laptop you can run off with for an hour.

Or just a basic trainer, and music/tablet for movies/tv

iainc

Thanks, the cheaper option looks feasible, will have a look at the Tacx ones. Do I need a turbo specific tyre ?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Also have a look at the BTwin ones in Decathlon. I have the red and black fluid one and it’s been excellent.

Had a Tacx before that for 4 years which was also very good (and a good lot of resistance available with the adjuster lever)

GHill

You don’t need a turbo specific tyre, but they are better. A bit less noise, but more importantly, fewer heat related blow outs.

iainc

Useful info, thanks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ask in your network if anyone local’s got one sitting idle, I’m almost certain they will.

I was happy to lend mine out when my pal was injured. Helped keep me sane when I had a similar injury to you, and came back fitter when I could ride again – as I got quite into it.

FWIW I had a very dumb trainer and watched road races on Eurosport (it was summer) while using it, riding hard when they did on the TV.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ian – where are you, if you’re local (j48 A1) I’ve cheap one you can have free to see how much you hate it 😉

smokey_jo

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dumb trainer + sufferfest or trainer rorad as long as its compattible.

Smart trainers are nice and obviously harder to wimp out of an interval on, but not IME essential. Zwift is obviously better on a smart trainer.

How bad is the shoulder, could you cope with rollers? Theyre not a replacement for a turbo, but as an option theyre a bit more interesting trying to do intervals on them. I quite like them as i can leave them in the conservatory for occasional use and use them with a normal rear tyre as they wear a bit more normally.

iainc

Am based in Glasgow

TINAS, I have and use rollers but no chance with current injury and short term recovery scenario

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy a turbo, and if so what one ?’ is closed to new replies.