Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Should I buy a new bike?
  • richardkennerley

As an aside to the MTB, just to keep a bit of fitness going, I have a croix de fer.

I take it for for 15-25 mile rides 2 or 3 times a week, 95% on road.

I’m not fussed about beating Strava times, or other people, I’m doing it purely for exercise although I might venture out a bit further over the next few months and have some actual days out on it.

But, I find it pretty uncomfortable and a bit of a drag (it’s heavy, I’m not sure it really fits me properly, it’s got Clement xplor gravel tyres on it.)

I don’t need to carry anything (frame bags etc’) but on the other hand I don’t really need a carbon whippet coz I don’t care what my average speed is!

I’m thinking I could sell up and get something else via C2W.

WWSTWD? Spruce it up a bit, faster tyres, a few lighter components, buy a nice new bike that might suit and enthuse me more or just carry on coz it doesn’t really matter anyway!?

fossy

Just shove some road tyres on for road work. Simple.

I made my old 90s MTB a seriously quick commuter for a while. Stuck on 1.2″ lightweight slicks. It flew.

piemonster

I’ve a Day One which (I think?) seems to be more or less the same frame as the CDF.

It’s the comfiest bike I have.

Worth looking at the fit to be sure before deciding.

plus-one

Yes

avdave2

I have a CdF which seemed a good bike for long looking at the scenery road riding and then I bought a Defy as I wanted to go a little quicker. It’s not only quicker but so much more comfortable, the CdF just lives on the turbo trainer now. they make a good commuter but for everything else there are a lot better bikes

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I have / had a love hate relationship with my cdf. I purchased a boardman cx on ctw which in theory should have been lighter and faster. It was lighter (much lighter) but didn’t gel with it at all. The ally frame was harsh and was not much quicker at all. Sold that quickly and now back on the cdf with 40mm nanos (tubeless) . It’s heavy with the stock Alex Rims and chepo shimano hubs but you could shave a good 500g off that going for an aftermarket wheelset (I have my eye on the hunt all seasons). Biggest difference I found that helped me with the fit was to drop the standard stem from the 120mm to a hope 80mm….oh and raise the bars about 10mm to lessen the drop (I am not built for bum up riding).

Now I am back in love.

Subtle change, cheap and now its a keeper.

andy4d

I have only read the title and my answer is yes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Should I buy a new bike?’ is closed to new replies.