should I buy a bmx?

Home Forum Bike Forum should I buy a bmx?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • should I buy a bmx?
  • Premier Icon scaled
    Subscriber

I love that this is below a post about acting your age.

legend

Well if you were 31 I’d have said definitetly, but at 32……

shermer75

Just get it over and done with! Buy second hand so you do’t lose any money when you inevitibly sell it a year later… 😉

shermer75

Actually, that’s just given me an idea for the ‘cycling milestones’ thread….

fr0sty125

What about a trials bike?

Tom83

30 here and starting riding bmx this year. Do it, it’s great.

Rorschach

I have one for sale…adult (I’m 6’2″) size (21.5tt, 9″ bars).Custom made Standard 250trl frame,odyssey forks,Gsport hubs,stem etc.

toby1

35, just bought my first bmx since I was about 6. I’d recommend padded pants too though!

brakes

I bought a BMX in my late 20s and found it too hard and sold it as I was strapped. wish I’d kept it though – reckon I’ll get one when my boy does!

Rorschach that means nothing but how much :-).

Trials no good dont think I will have the skills. Dont think I will on bmx but might be able to style it out.

Get a 24″ wheel BMX cruiser, an absolute hoot!!

project

Would love one,but cant fit into the skinny jeans, and having facial hair, may well scare the kids.Oh and being old enough to be their dad doesnt help eother.

I would be the dad of two kids.

I am secretly wishing I have a hidden talent for bmx and will be pulling all the tricks and showing the kids up!

Premier Icon twistedpencil
    Subscriber

Got a cruiser last year, my lad likes riding the local track, he’s only five, going out on the mountain bike was faff, locked up in the house. Bmx lives next to his bike and we get out at the drop of a hat 🙂 though now he has a bike with gears and 20″ wheels I’m the one struggling to keep up.

Turned 37 last month. BMX rocks. Going to the indoor track in Mcr next month…

Bought mine aged 33. Cost £85. Had two before, a 16″ aged 5 and 20″ aged 7 (bought the second myself for the grand sum of £30) but that doesn’t really count because that’s what we all rode. Still can’t do any tricks but it makes my daily commute hurt on the way there (uphill offroad) and fun on the way home (tiny wheels and no suspension plus bumps and jumps!) Definitely making me a better MTBer if not a proper BMXer – though I’d like to race once the two local-ish tracks get finished.

P.S. Tried my wife’s skinny jeans. Not great for pedalling…

Heres my reasoning my kids are into scooterising, and I really want to join in with them but scooters scare the hell out of me. And a bmx seems a safer bet. Im 32 what are peoples views?

genghispod

Yes, do it. Go to the local park and scare yourself. do it several times. Then go buy a longboard ‘cos that’s fun too. Remember – if it looks like fun, and the kids are doing it, it probably is fun! Draw the line at hard drugs though.

Premier Icon Random
    Subscriber

Yes.
    39 with 4 and 2 year old. All three of us enjoyed the local pump track on Sunday.

_tom_

Yeah, maybe get a Sunday Model C if you’re tall. I really want one, they look so fun. Like my 20″ but just feels too weird after riding 26″ so much.

shifter

I have one for riding in the park with my little one; she’s 4, I’m 48.

It’s a rescue bike – I saved it from a trip to the tip.

pickle

yes do it! i’m 43 and been riding them for years (still pants though) but it’s great fun 🙂

pickle

all i would say though, if you’re going to buy a new one then look at buying from a proper rider owned BMX shop and not CRC or Winstanleys.

Shops such as

Customriders
    Radbmxshop
    Liferbmx
    BMXCity
    Sourcebmx

Are all top rider owned shops who offer price matching as well, make sure you get one with a long enough TT for your size as well. if you’re 6′ or higher then you really need to look for a TT of 21″

handyandy

If you want a bmx, get one. Don’t let the dullards on here change your mind. I’m 41 and in January bought my first bmx since i was 15 and its so much fun.

jedi

love bmx!!!! deffo get one. i’m rubbish but love it

pickle

Tony, i long for the day i’m as rubbish as you LOL!

messiah

I got a BMX for my 40th 8)

Still using it nearly 3 years later… and my boys are joining in now 😈

I’m never going to be any good at it but being willing to try sets a great example, IMHO etc etc.

Right so, good entry level bmx then which one?

6079smithw

ashleydwsmith – Member

Right so, good entry level bmx then which one?

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/45342/Eastern_Mothra_2012_BMX_Bike

Tom83

Mines the Eastern Traildigger (2011 i think?) from Winstanleys. Cost me about £150. Source bmx have a clearance line at the moment, might be worth a look. If your budget can stretch, go for one with sealed bearings etc.

iridebikes

If it’s of interest I have a deluxe box ( that’s the brand) built with top of the range components, profile, s and m, offset etc. Noting is more than 2 years old. It would suit someone new to Bmx as its a 21.25 top tube and everything else is sized to suit. Trust me it makes a huge difference. it was only ever used for pump tracks and small trails. It’s well over a grands worth of bike, but I’d sell it for 350 as I need a road bike.

If anyone is interested I will take some pictures etc?

iridebikes

That fly has a good spec for the money but it is really small and steep which would make it harder to get used to in my opinion.

Premier Icon johnikgriff
    Subscriber

I’ve just bought me for the first time, 43 last week. My children have started going to a skate park and wanted me to go with them. I’m okay on a MTB but pretty pants on a BMX, they probably be better than me in a month or 2 and won’t want me with them anymore… 🙁

_tom_

Ashley if you’re (or anyone else actually) interested I’m probably gonna sell my Sunday Trail Scout. Hasn’t been used that much as I can’t get on with how bmxes feel, had an awesome DJ sesh on my new Chameleon this afternoon so the bmx feels a bit redundant tbh. I got it for cheap so I’ll let it go for even cheaper. Let me know if you’re interested, email should be in my profile!

It’s exactly the same as this one. Really awesome spec for the money.

If I had 350 id prob buy it.

THere is a verde on source bmx at 179 from 459? Worth it? Looking at the bay but too wary of getting a dog.

Premier Icon maxtorque
    Subscriber

I’m currently stuck between getting a BMX or a Trials bike! Being 6.2 tall, i have a feeling i’d look ridiculous on the BMX??

_tom_

I’m selling for less than the new price as it has a few scratches from an over the bars and the usual crank arm wear from shoes rubbing 🙂

Tom how much?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘should I buy a bmx?’ is closed to new replies.