Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Should i buy a Bird Aeris ?
  • foxman
    Free Member

Looking at making the leap to 650b, Should i buy a Bird Aeris ?

andy4d

Eh……yes. great bike.

psycorp
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said. Mine is fab.

porter_jamie

Test rode a med and a long yesterday. I liked them. Felt much better than my heckler. Certainly climbs better and the pikes are much better than the revs on my heckler. Much much better control for steering accuracy and overall structural stiffness. I managed to hit all the berms exactly how I wanted to whereas on the heckler I have a +/- 2″ tolerance. Felt stable but also could be hussled around the tight stuff well. Didn’t notice the big wheels at all. It was on carbon rims though…
    The meduim felt right but the large felt just a little too long for me. Only 20mm longer according to the guys at Bird who are particularly nice chaps it has to be said.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

If you want one and have the money why not

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’m planning on swapping my 2016 Stumpy frame for one later on in the year.

Might see if I can get a test ride late-summer although it’s nearly a 4 hour drive!

superstu
    Free Member

Testing one on 03/05 – cannot wait (despite being a six hour round trip).

coppice
    Free Member

I’m finishing my build this afternoon and 1st outing tomorrow 😀

dubber
    Free Member

I had a round trip of 5.5hrs to test one , but it was worth it. I’d suggest going mon-fri as they close earlier on Saturdays. Plus if your planning on going to Swinley to test , it will be rammed on a Saturday and you’ll not get as long on the bike. I only managed to take the medium to swinley due to time constraints (it’s a good half hour journey each way with loading/unloading etc)

Great bike by the way 🙂

rhid

I test rode on a Saturday and Swinley was rammed! I only managed one lap of the blue due to crowds and general faffing!

Like everyone says they are great bikes, and a great company to deal with. I ended up getting a medium as it felt perfect!

porter_jamie

dont go to swinley at the weekend it will be horrific. get a mate to come with you and get a large and a med so you can try both. very glad we did that – the extra 20mm difference really makes the bike ride differently.

chestrockwell

Test one and test the other bikes you like the look of as it’s the only way to know for sure.

Owners rave about them but some reviews are not as glowing in the face of the competition.

coppice
    Free Member

afaik its won every group test its been in, the journo that said its flexy bought one but the latest frames have been revised to be a bit stiffer anyway. What other reviews have you seen?

I bought my frame used and as I say i’ve not ridden it yet but bird have been spot on when i’ve transferred the warranty. I never found time go and test ride one so have bought blind (except for reading everything I can about them).

dubber
    Free Member

porter_jamie
    &
    rhid

Out of interest how tall are you both and which size did you prefer ? I’m between medium & large , 5’10 with about a 31/32″ inseam but swaying towards the medium ~ don’t think I’d be able to run a 150mm dropper on the large. I was a large on a whyte t-130 I tested but the medium aeris felt similar.

porter_jamie

im 5’10.5″ with short 30.5″ legs. i defo preferred the medium and it was running a 35mm stem (as was the large) i felt it could handle an extra 5 or 10mm stem length and the chap at Bird said this wouldn’t ruin the handling. So defo Med for me. My mate is a touch taller but has 32″ or 33″ legs and he also preferred the medium but would probably stick a 45 or 50mm stem on.

i measured up and i could just run a 150mm dropper on the med

rhid

I’m 5″6 and probably have long monkey arms. The medium with a 30mm stem feels good. The Small just felt like my regular bike. These are meant to be long frames. Medium is spot on for me!

psycorp
    Free Member

I used to ride a large 2013 Mega AM with a 60mm stem, which I loved. I now ride a large Aeris with a 40mm, which is better.

I’m 6ft.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I have a 2015 Whyte T-130 Works, my riding buddy has a Bird Aeris, they are quite similar and if I’d not bought the Whyte then I’d have gone for the Bird.

I also have a Bird Zero TR and that’s very similar in general feel (excluding the obvious difference between a HT and a FS) as my Whyte.

If you have the money and the Bird fits I’d go for it, it’s a great bike IMHO.

chestrockwell

Can’t remember exactly where the review was but seem to remember the bike being marked down for being ace downhill but lifeless elsewhere. Could be wrong mind.

The point still stands though, the OP should test a few and buy the one he likes best.

BillOddie

I’m sure the Bird is nice but…

“Hardcore Hardtail” grouptest in the mag this month.

Chromag, Ritchey and Onza tested.

leftyboy
    Free Member

MBUK said that the Bird Zero TR alcked zip but to be honest a rider of my weight, fitness and ability is holding it back far more 🙂 My riding buddy whose super fit and very skilled loves his Bird Aeris and he rates it well above his 2013 Orange 5.

jruk
    Free Member

I’ve got an Aeris coming in a few weeks – can’t wait to get hold of it.

I’m 6′ 1″ and spoke to the guys at Bird and they said go for the XL as with a 35mm stem and the seat in the middle (rather than pushed back), it’s the same position as my large soul with a 35mm stem.

From what I’ve read on here, the new frames have stiffer BBs.

porter_jamie

leftyboy – i kinda assumed all this rear suspension different linkage nonsense was just that, however compared to my heckler which is obviously single pivot with an rp23, the Aeris is night and day better at climbing. This may well be because the shock on the heckler is not set up properly or something. My mate and i both commented that it felt a bit like a hardtail with that direct pedally feel, but we were both using plenty of travel so the suspension was working well too. i’m pretty much sold as it really is a step on from my trusty heckler. i need to make some room on the bike rack though or i’ll get strung up 🙂

gaidong
    Free Member

If you like it on your test you really can’t go wrong with Bird. Owner of a large green Aeris since November ’15.

psycorp
    Free Member

The review which mentioned flex was done on a pre-production frame. The production frames were modified to correct this I believe. I certainly haven’t noticed any flex on mine.

jamesoz

I like mine but if buying it again I wouldn’t go for the xfusion rear shock. Lack of a bottle mount is a shame and I’d prefer a slightly higher bottom bracket. I know it’s the fashion and more stable but on loose rocky stuff it feels sometimes like I need steel toe caps.

porter_jamie

you bought it yet?

other owners and potential owners, please share what spec you went for or are thinking of going for.

me – pikes in 150mm i think RCT3. i dont think i want 130/160 as it climbs so well. anyone ridden one in 160mm? does it still steer nicely?

tranmission – i tried xt11 and whilst it worked flawlessy, i’m an old git so even 2×10 is a bit modern – i need a proper granny gear so maybe 2×10 is for me.

brakes – i would pick the cheapest and fit the xt’s off my heckler because they are nearly new

bars – same as i’d fit my carbon havocs

reverb – defo go for a stealth 150mm

wheels. carbon or not carbon. i’m tempted simply because the one i tried span up so quickly compared to the non carbon ones. the non carbon ones were perfectly fine though…

tyres – got to be minion 3c yes?

oh and colour – the yellow is very yellow, orange is pretty cool but the black with the matt black graphics is defo my bag

jruk
    Free Member

I’m going for…

Yellow frame
    150 rc pikes
    Monarch plus shock
    XT11, Inc brakes and cranks (putting an absolute black oval on)
    DT ex1501 wheels with minion 3c front, hr2 back
    Next 760mm carbon bars, 35mm atlas stem, 150mm reverb

Can’t frigging wait for it to arrive!

coppice
    Free Member

Has anyone fitted a bottle cage?

I’m guessing a zefal or decathlon universal mount may be the best solution on the top tube or something mounted on the bars?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Zefal-Gizmo-Universal-Bottle-Cage-Mounts_63720.htm?sku=187616&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CJ6Isuq7zcsCFRG6GwodCTYH7w#

johnnystorm
    thekettle
    Free Member

@porter_jamie
    I’m riding one on 160mm Pikes, the rear is adjustable between 140-150mm so no great front/rear imbalance TBH. Feels more ‘poppy’ and lively with it at 140mm, and soaks hits up better/smooths the roughness at 150mm. I live in the Lakes so constant rockiness makes 160mm at the front an easy choice for my preferred local riding, doesn’t seem to make climbing any harder.

psycorp
    Free Member

Mine is running Mattoc Pro’s at 160mm with a Monarch plus shock.

Not been running the Mattoc’s long but initial impressions are very good. Small bump is great and they’re very tunable. They suit the frame very well.

I love the lower volume 2013/2014 Monarch plus (I already had the shock and bought the frame without). It provides a firm stable pedalling platform but is there when you need it. I have tried them and I’m not so keen on the higher volume debonair Monarch shocks for single pivot designs, although it worked well on another 4 bar frame I had at the time.

HTH.

dubber
    Free Member

@ porter_jamie

Trying to keep it (price wise) as close to the whyte T-130s Yari I was originally going to buy so around £2300 ~ but its far too easy to get carried away.

Blue frame , SRAM GX , guide R brakes , E1700 wheels , RF aeffect bar & stem , monarch RT shock and Yari fork , 150mm dropper.

But may upgrade to RS brakes and pike RC fork. Heard good things about the Yari & X-fusion sweep forks but still not sure which to go for.

The test bike had XT drive train and brakes with carbon rims which were all great.

Is anyone bothered that it’s not boost 148 ??

DickBarton

Yes…why wouldn’t you? Providing you can afford it, that is (but that stands for any new bike). Saw a few at Glentress yesterday and they looked very nice, very capable. If I had the money last year, I’d have bought one.

psycorp
    Free Member

@dubber

I’ve tried Xfusion Slant on my Aeris and while capable I thought they were under-damped. If you want Xfusion forks get a roughcut damper version, although I think you can get Mattoc’s for less.

moonsaballoon

5 9 and on a medium with 35mm stem , had mine a year and am still loving it . Does everything well I think and have used mine for enduros , tour de Ben Nevis , big days out and quick blasts in the woods and it feels the right bike for all of them . I went with the stock build pretty much as it was all the stuff I would of chosen if I was building my own from scratch and nearly a year later I haven’t made any changes except tyres and brake pads . I have always had mine at 140 mm at the back and 150 pikes at the front . I keep meaning to change the back to 150 just to see what it’s like but haven’t got round to it as to be honest it’s fine as it is and I doubt I would be able to tell the difference

Rustychain
    Free Member

You should definitely buy one.

Mines been laid up a couple of months during the worst of the weather (still precious about it).

Rode it yesterday. Awesome. As I’ve said before, it can handle everything from CX to downhill. What’s not to like?

And the customer service is becoming legendary (the Bird level of service should should be standard really, but of course isn’t!).

rhid

I went for a yellow one with x fusion suspension, SLX stuff (inc an old fashioned double up front) did go for EX1501 wheels though.

Its great. I have spare bits in my spares box so I am going to try it 1*10 to see how I get on with that.

AlexSimon

The answers are ‘yes’ and ‘orange’.

Just gave mine a 1-year service in time for the dry weather and its first Enduro race this weekend.
    All lovely.

This was it when it was new:
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/sgCGBc]Aeris-09[/url] by tryingtimes, on Flickr

I’ve run it for most of the year on Ardent rear, Minion front, but just changed to HRII/Shorty expecting a wet Easter 🙂

steel4real
    Free Member

It was those pictures by Alex that partly inspired my desire to buy one !

Ordered a frame & shock in November – they are apparently just docked in the UK at long last.

I can’t wait – but it seems I’ll have to but hopefully not too long after Easter.

Orange one as well 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Should i buy a Bird Aeris ?’ is closed to new replies.