Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Should I be worried about this possible crack?
  • rydster
    Free Member

Any thoughts?

Wilier Jaroon purchased late 2018 new. Steel frame.

I’m worried a crack is developing at or around the weld on the left seat stay to seat tube junction.

At best it’s a crack only in what I assume is chrome, but that would also probably happen if a crack was propagating in the underlying weld or steel too.

Pic 1

Pic 2

pictonroad

That’s a cracked weld. Unless you’re seeing something not apparent on the photo then, yes, worry.

crikey
    Free Member

x2. It’s a crack.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

That’s ****

But more so those are some really really narrow welds – as concerning. Not like willier to put form before function……

It’s like someone saw a brazed frame then tried to make a weld that looked like it was brazed….

rydster
    Free Member

What should I do? Contact the seller? It was CRC.

damascus
    Free Member

That doesn’t look good! Is it still under warranty?

rydster
    Free Member

I believe it’s either welded or brazed internally but not 100% sure.

scotroutes

Is it a sticker?

andybrad

be very worried.

get it fixed asap. Should take seconds what with it being steel and all and being the super easier than anything in the world frame to repair. In fact im surprised it hasnt fixed itself already.

damascus
    Free Member

What should I do? Contact the seller? It was CRC.

What warranty did it come with? If its still valid I would contact them straight away. I wouldn’t ride that.

You know its bad when stw responses havent said put a sticker on it!

tomd
    Free Member

You lucky git. I have one of those Jaroons and it’s a rotter of a frame, I’d be only too happy if it snapped save me rattling about on it. I just checked their warranty and it sounds a bit rubbish. They say they offer 5 years on carbon but you need to register in 10 days of purchase, nothing about the warranty on steel.

I think you’ll just need to see what CRC say. And yes crack. It is so, so stiff that it probably would put quite a bit of load on whatever the weakest bit is.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Looks like a weld that’s been ground back to the minimum from the photos but could be wrong.

rydster
    Free Member

Yeah it’s a very stiff frame. 😀

Regarding official warranties, I have no idea what it came with, but all goods have an implied statutory warranty. I don’t think 18 months is a reasonable lifetime for a steel frame.

bruneep

The Jaroon is the new steel frame dedicated to the gravel world. A high-quality frame, welded with a special technique that hides all welding material inside, making the frame appear clean, and the seams flawless

It’s fine all the weld is inside…🤞

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

welded with a special technique

Looks like an autogenous TIG weld. Would’ve been fine if the cheapskates had used some filler 😀

tjagain

I have no idea what it came with, but all goods have an implied statutory warranty. I don’t think 18 months is a reasonable lifetime for a steel frame.

After it is six months old you have to show that its a manufacturing fault and the failure is not for any other reason. Burden of proof is on you. After 18 months you will only be entitled to a partial refund or repair.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation

damascus
    Free Member

On the plus side it should be easily repaired being steel

mick_r

Looks like internal brazing and Cycling Weekly review says internal brazed not welded.

Millions of Peugeot were made that way and it was reasonably reliable. Fillets inside are scary small – here is one cut open.

Should be easy to get a fillet brazed on the outside to repair if they won’t warranty.

kayak23

Looks like internal brazing

How do they do that then? 🤔

mick_r

Ring of brazing material inside the tube. Warm it up until it sweats through to the outside, leaving a small fillet inside the tube.

Probably needs good control of the process – good mitre, correct and even heating, maybe certain alignment of the joint so gravity helps it flow evenly. Good for mass production if set up right. Also easy to screw up if done wrong….

FB-ATB

Ring of brazing material inside the tube.

Bit like the plumbing joints with a ring of solder inside?

mick_r

Yes. Only without the outer joint acting as a lug / reinforcing sleeve…..

Referred to to as ring brazing in industry. Think the Brompton hinge “lug” is done like that in an oven or induction furnace.

rydster
    Free Member

If the brazing is internal what am I looking at? The chrome has cracked only?

mick_r

Cracked braze (or paint / “chrome” where the braze should be). If you look at the chopped up / shot blasted photo you can see the braze material both sides of the joint (just more on the inside).

wordnumb
    Free Member

Then seek guidance on the correct use of the word “possible”.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I think it looks like a crack in the HAZ of the weld. Is that another on the other stay?

rydster
    Free Member

Other stay is fine. It’s apparently a braze not a weld anyway.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Should I be worried about this possible crack?’ is closed to new replies.