• This topic has 79 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Should I be a prick and would it be legal?
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I just got a long, rambling, threatening text message out of the blue from my current live in landlord about a missing HDMI cable. (I have moved out though, but I’m still paying for a few more weeks rent as per contract).

Now said moron doesn’t have an HMO license and is in clear violation of this. Should I a) Inform him of this and kindly ask him forgo my final 2 weeks of rent. (Is this blackmail?) Or B) Pay him, inform the local council, go round with an HMO officer and then sue him into the ground to the point that he loses the house?

There’s a small part of me that is uneasy ethically about it, but the rest of me would be laughing manically all the way to hell if it did go to court and I did actually get all my rent back off him.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I always think people who talk about sueing people positively ooze class.

RustyMac

Are you sure the land lord needs a HMO licence if the land lord lives in the property too?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah well….I never had any.

Yup, I’m sure.

pondo

Then why worry what anyone else thinks?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m just uneasy because I think I’ve lost my final shred of conscience.

muggomagic

Do you know what happened to the cable?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your allowed 2 non related lodgers as a live in land lord before you need an hmo…..- so owner plus 2 is ok…owner plus 3 needs an hmo….

How many of you lodgers were there ?

rwamartin
    Free Member

I assume you’ve not got his cable?

It is unethical. You owe the rent so have an obligation to pay it. Informing the local council would be vindictive.

Karma will get you.

Rich.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Landlord + 1 unmarried Girlfriend, plus 3 others.

Yes, but the threatening text from a ‘tuff’ mockney irritates me. I can’t beat him up and shit on his living room floor legally, so, other cards are on the table.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I reckon this will end better if you just let it go.

ton

what length cable…..email me a address and i will send you one f.o.c to sort you problem out.
    i sell them for pence.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Cheers Ton, but it’s ok. I can mail him one. Thanks for the offer though.

pondo

I’m just uneasy because I think I’ve lost my final shred of conscience.

If you’d lost it, you wouldn’t feel uneasy. 😉

I think discussing it with the landlord would be my first port of call, rather than bringing down the heaviest wrath I could find in a vindictive rage.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just don’t pay him, tell him why, walk away.

Not worth anymore energy.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Normal people ask politely, especially when you’ve otherwise been a perfect tenant.

Just don’t pay him, tell him why, walk away.

Not worth anymore energy.

Just to make sure he doesn’t chase me for it, I was going to drop in the HMO thing. In what way should I word it, so that it isn’t blackmail?

enfht
    Free Member

Just grow up and give him the cable back ffs.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Oh he’s getting the cable back….

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It’s most definitely the latter, it’s a grey microsoft one. Maybe I should forget I have it, until after he’s lost the house?

ski
    Free Member

Come on we are talking a HDMI cable here, If it was something petty I would not bother, have you tried contacting the papers yet?

blooddonor
    Free Member

You’ve stolen his cable……………….you sound like a ****.

anagallis_arvensis

So you nicked something from him, he’s annoyed and wants it back and you get all upity? Odd.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No, it’s going back, I was mostly joking. Took it accidentally with all my cables.

Here’s part of the text

If you dont post it bk 2 me I will **** make u come down to london and give it 2 me

I’m mildly amused by it and feel like winding him up some more now. I don’t know why someone would do that, I’ve always been of the opinion that you never know if you’re talking to an axe murdering psycopath, so I try to be polite to people at all times.

Rscott
    Free Member

Ton if you’ve got one of these for a couple of pence I’ll buy it and even pay postage, and send you a beer.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-52-49-Braided-Cable/dp/B00IL3TZSQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DXMSYME6KWSETBY1SRJ

zeffir
    Free Member

Don’t be so childish and give the bloke his cable back.

unknown
    Free Member

I presume you were happy enough to move in knowing he didn’t have an HMO? He’s in the wrong about that clearly but it would be massively dickish to make a fuss about that at this stage. So in answer to the first of your questions I fear that ship has already sailed…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Post him back his cable. Smile, safe in the knowledge that he’s obviously quite a tragic character to be so upset over a cable. Live your life without the hassle and undoubted upset and anxiety that going through a spiteful lawsuit will cause just so you can feel satisfied that you got your own back.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you dont post it bk 2 me I will **** make u come down to london and give it 2 me

It’s a chat up line, be flattered 😉

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The rents due tomorrow, he just sent a text to my missus saying that if it wasn’t paid he’d come round to the house and take it off her. Even though he doesn’t know where we now live.

He’s goading me into ruining his life! I might bumble down to the police station and file a formal harassment charge for the icing on the cake.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

At first I thought you were being a bell end. BUT threatening behaviour like that winds me up, so I’d say **** him over BUT depends if he is all talk or actually a psycho. If I was a psycho and it was your fault I lost my house, I’d probably wear your face as a mask and your testicles and earrings and just drive round london for a couple of hours.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

if it wasn’t paid he’d come round to the house and take it off her.

I’m not sure that offering to save you the bother of having to post it amounts to harassment.

seosamh77
    Free Member

You sound like a pair of bawbags.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Scientists have yet to invent a device that will measure my indifference to that remark, seosamh.

konabunny
    Free Member

obviously not so indifferent to it that you wouldn’t respond to it, you cable-thieving bawbag

😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seosamh + 1.

hes goading me into ruining his life

grow up.

davosaurusrex

He sounds like a bit of a ****. You sound like a particularly immature 19 year old. Meh.

slackalice
    Free Member

But you stole his cable. And now you choose to get angry when he asks for it back. Guilty as charged 😉

tomd
    Free Member

Post it back, but put it in a big envelope with a normal stamp 😈

11pence excess postage + £1 handling fee for him to get it back.

On a more serious note, you both sound like fannies. Him for threatening you and you for thinking you can take someone to the supreme court to sue them for mild distress.

piemonster

1) post cable to said Bawbag
    2) pay rent
    3) report harassment to authorities
    4) move on and be glad you don’t live there anymore

Repeat number 4)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Should I be a prick and would it be legal?’ is closed to new replies.