Shotgun now legally acceptable home defence?

Home Forum Chat Forum Shotgun now legally acceptable home defence?

Viewing 12 posts - 161 through 172 (of 172 total)
  • Shotgun now legally acceptable home defence?
  • teasel

I’m thinking that if my intention was to burgle a house and I spotted this being played, it’s very doubtful I would complete my intended mission.

So yeah, I can see it being a pretty good home-defence item…

Premier Icon irc
    Subscriber

Jesus wept,

Have you heard of statistics irc? You come across as intelligent usually.

What statistics? The fact is however rare it is burglars sometimes kill householders. So a householder is entitled to act in self defence which can include using a shotgun.

Junkyard

The fact is however rare it is burglarsfriends sometimes kill householders. So a householder is entitled to act in self defence which can include using a shotgun to any friend.

perfect end to any dinner party.

Anyone may do something at any time. You cannot kill anyone because of this “fact”.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

Therein lies the problem of trying to have a discussion or debate on an internet forum, for those of us who do not have internet access at our beck and call or those at work all day it is impossible to have any cohesive written discussion as threads move on so fast and any implied intonation as there would be in natural speech is missed with use of the written word so as it’s late and i haven’t yet had my tea i’ll just draw your attention to a few lines rather than another attempt to get my point across – maybe one person may get my meaning, if not?……… “shrug”….hey ho, it’s only a bike forum and not real life.

whether it’s right or wrong to do so is something you’ll have to live with.

I’ve learned to live with it, i can never forget it but i accept what i did and in all honesty i’d probably do the same again if a similar situation arose.

And somafunk, interesting post but are you advocating mob/vigilante justice?

Nowhere did i mention mob/vigilante justice?, i may have mentioned a certain punishment or so called warning metered out to those who deserve it, a skipper on a fishing boat is responsible for maybe 4 to 8 lives on that boat over a three week fishing trip in all weathers, it’s not a wee jolly out there wi fishing rods over the side of the boat – these are folk who put their lives and trust in the hands of the skipper whether that be in the North Sea in the depths of winter facing 70mph winds or facing 60ft Atlantic waves breaking over the bows, the boats fish in all weathers round the clock, and anything that may jeopardise the lives and safety of the crew whether that be faulty equipment due to some scrote having damaged it or missing equipment such as radios or items stolen such as necessary power tools to repair breakages or something as simple as petty vandalism of life rafts or stolen flares etc…etc. I could go on listing all that is on the boat but when you put to sea you have to know everything is as it should be, and you may say that checks should be carried out beforehand but it is impossible to have a checklist for everything – therefore anyone who willingly tampers or attempts to steal items from such a high risk and often deadly profession such as that deserves whatever happens to them, no matter how severe in my opinion. You cant **** with folks lives like that and expect to get away scot free or with a slap on the wrists from a judge – There’s a saying, “There’s only one law at sea – The Skippers”.

[/quote] no, I think he’s advocating more drug fuelled paranoid delusional fantasies [/quote]

I dunno where you stay but If you ever head up to scotland, particularly near any of the larger fishing ports up and down the west coast then please shout out on here, i’ll make sure you can talk to a few skippers and hear their drug fuelled delusional fantasies from them first hand, there’s always one of our boats knocking about somewhere, – 100% genuine offer btw….

From now on i’m only going to offer advice or my opinion on “what tyres for……..?” threads, I may join in the “hardtails vs full suss vs dropper posts vs rigid makes you a better rider vs what brogue for IT support worker”” threads as well coz they can be quite a laugh, some folk just seem to take this forum malarky too seriously – if you don’t agree with what’s written then fine – move on and realise that it’s just someone else’s opinion, you may not agree with it as you have every right to do, but that does not give you the right to hide behind a keyboard casting aspersions on another persons character.

chewkw

Dear Leader brigade does not condone pussy footing so keep things simple. Your head will hurt if you try to think too much so such a simple problem requires a simple solution instantly. No time to think if you are holding a Benelli M4. Maggots are infestation and infestation needs eradication or else they will multiply very quickly if not keep in check.

Premier Icon irc
    Subscriber

@Junkyard

Anyone may do something at any time. You cannot kill anyone because of this “fact”.

That judge disagreed.

“If you burgle a house in the country where the householder owns a legally held shotgun, that is the chance you take.”

I’ll take his legal opinion before yours. A householders right to self defence includes using shotgun. If that means a burglar dies, tough luck.

Junkyard

That statement does not in any way shape or form say you can do what you want to anyone just in case.

Those who shot them had the sense to claim they were reaching for some knifes [ potentially] ie actual self defence and not because they were burglars. if they had shot them without this angle or in the back as they fled and they had escaped prosecution you may have a point.
    Of course they would have need to kill them as well which they did not.

That judgement is not a carte blanche to kill folk and self defence has always been allowed

Premier Icon v8ninety
    Subscriber

Absolutely right, JY. However it would also suggest that the burden of proof for ‘fearing for your life’ is to be set quite low, when there are unknown intruders in your house (rightfully so, in my opinion). I mean, ‘reaching for the knife drawer’? How would the intruders even know which drawer had knives in? Come on…

falkirk-mark

I mean, ‘reaching for the knife drawer’? How would the intruders even know which drawer had knives in? Come on…

But surely you would know that was your knife drawer and you would also therefore realise he would soon find a knife in there

TurnerGuy

why does he need to reach for the knife drawer – he could be carrying one for all you know, or if bigger than you could reach for a knife after knocking you over.

plus, if you had family in the house you wouldn’t want any risk that you could be overcome and therefore not able to protect your family, so you would want to do something disabling immediately.

Premier Icon v8ninety
    Subscriber

What I’m saying is, it seems that so long as you provide some kind of cursory nod towards the ‘fear of mortal danger’ defence, then in the present climate, the CPS won’t touch you…

Lock and Load, Rambo Fantacists!!!

Junkyard

That was what I was hinting at
    they were opening a drawer defence is tenuous as you are upstairs with a shotgun and they are downstairs – in what sense are you in danger if you dont move? You out yourself in danger and then react due to the danger – whilst i cannot disprove their account my inclination is towards a yeah right reaction.

Like I said the 12 peers who would judge me are likely to think they had it coming[ i accept my view is the minority] so , as I said earlier on this thread, in reality you have more rights than the law grants – that is the CPS know they are unlikely to win due to the juries view that they have it coming

Viewing 12 posts - 161 through 172 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘Shotgun now legally acceptable home defence?’ is closed to new replies.