Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Shorty vs Minion in the dry
  • AlexSimon

Going to Antur Stiniog tomorrow.

Currently have Ardent/Minion combo, but also have a Minion/Shorty combo that I could fit.

I have no experience of the Shorty – would it offer more grip/protection on dry slate?

sillyoldman

Not in my experience. Stick with the Minion – bigger contact patch on hard surfaces.

mboy
    Free Member

Shorty is designed to bite into softer surfaces, so probably not…

AlexSimon

That was my thinking too. More of a loam tyre.

I tried Minion/Minion when I first got the Aeris, but found it a bit weird that I couldn’t get the rear to step out, so I might just stick with the Ardent/Minion that I’ve run all summer (including Whistler).

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Minion

edward2000
    Free Member

I use both. For Ffestiniog I would definitely take the minion as it’s pretty much all rock. The shorty is designed to dig into softer surfaces. I had an ugly crash at Cannock once, because my shorty just slid on the shiny peddled surface. Totally unexpected and I hurt my arm pretty bad. I knew the minion would have held on too.

AlexSimon

Thanks all!

sv

Used a Minion/Purgatory combo at Antur this time last month and it was perfect. Pity I didn’t have an Aeris though!

Northwind

Shorty is good on hard stuff for what it is but still not a patch on a minion for that, it’s open and shut. Minion or highroller are perfect antur tyres, shorty is perfect onpiste offpiste allsorts slippy death tyre

Though, I suppose the question isn’t quite that simple is it? It’s not shorty vs minion, it’s shortyminion vs minionardent. And tyre protection’s coming into it, since it’s antur. I’d still go minion/ardent unless it’s some racy ardent variant, if it’s a sensible one it’ll be grand.

AlexSimon

Yep – 2.25 Ardent EXO so should grand

gavstorie
    Free Member

shorty is skittish on gravel over hardpack and hardpack. Minion or HR2 is a better option.

deviant
    Free Member

Minion….if you were somewhere softer I’d say Shorty but Antur is hard and rocky so I’d use a Super Tacky Minion front.

AlexSimon

Wow – that place is hard on tyres!
    Minion was great, but a slash in my Ardent wouldn’t seal and by the time I got an anchovy in too much sealant escaped, so had to fit a tube.

Then proceeded to puncture again even though I was running 7-8psi more than normal.

Dual ply next time.

Amazing day though! Especially with the weather.

honourablegeorge

Were you the chap in the green outfit on the orange Aeris? Thanks for the loan of the pump if you were.

AlexSimon

Yes! you’re welcome 🙂
    It got well used yesterday 🙁

I did wonder if people off here were there yesterday – couldn’t have hoped for better weather. Especially as we booked back in July!

honourablegeorge

Yeah, weather was unbelievable. 12 of us travelled over for 2 days Antur, 2 days Revolution. Not a cloud in the sky, couldn’t believe our luck.

AlexSimon

How did you find Rev in comparison?

honourablegeorge

Rev’s quite different – more flowy, lots of jumps, tables, big berms on some trails, then tight, steep techy stuff on others. Lots of well made kickers and gaps to challenge you.

Plenty of rough sections too, esp as you get lower down, bit like Antur Black in the way that everything gets smoother once you learn lines and figure out how to gap over the rough bits.

If I had to choose, I’d spend my day at Revolution – prefer their burgers too, even though they’re a bit more rough and ready than Antur(you could say that about most things at Revo- facilities, uplifts, etc.).

I think there’s more good trails too – tend to only ride the blacks at Antur, don’t particularly like the red, whereas Revolution had Mainline, L1, the Freeride, whatever the really smooth fat red one is called, and the Purple, and they all intersect so you can vary it further yourself. Think it was fairly unanimous amongst our lot that Revo was more fun.

AlexSimon

Nicely described – thanks!
    Sounds like I’ll have to try and get that arranged!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Shorty vs Minion in the dry’ is closed to new replies.