Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Shorts; what is good value and actually lasts?
  • Stevelol
    Free Member

Hi all

I used to just buy Endura singletrack and Humvee shorts, but in recent years it seems like they are made out of tissue paper and I often end up ripping a seam in the bum area, my saddle (Fabric Scoop) doesn’t stick up untowardly and it’s not sharp on the nose etc.

What shorts are you lot using that are actually durable and a decent length? E.G The new singletrack 2 are far too short, with knee pads you end up with the dodgy gap between the top of the pad (661 Evo) and bottom of short.

They don’t have to be mountain bike specific… The folks on the Path Podcast recommended Dickies work shorts but they seem to be more of a US brand and there’s quite a few models to choose from.

honourablegeorge

Buy some Troy lee Ruckus or Skyline on sale at CRC. They are usually heavily reduced and are excellent. And can be had in black without mad logos

jimmy

I was going to say endura singletrack but that’s based on a pair I’ve had for about 8 years when they were (and still are) bombproof. Pairs I’ve had since have gone the same way you mention.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I was going to say Endura but the same as Jimmy mine are old about 7 years and in good condition but not used for a few years.  In the past if i had an item from Endura fail within the year it was replaced well my Stealth Jacket was with no issues not sure how they are now.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Norrona, if you havent had any treat yourself 🙂
    They’re not cheap but I have a few pairs in different styles and they are way better than any other brand I’ve had.

gallowayboy

I find it to be very hit or miss with Endura – I had a pair of the older 3/4 lengths, they wore through far too soon, before 1 year old. Replaced them with a pair of Sweet Protection shorts at twice the price, they lasted 9 months before needing patched. Now back on Humvees, they’ve lasted 18 months and show little sign of wear and the stitching’s fine…..on the strength of that, i’ll stick with Humvees, as soon as some are on sale at a reasonable  discount.

sandwicheater

Been very impressed with my Mavic shorts (been running for a few years) and Morvelo stuff reduced on wiggle and their shorts are noice too.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

i always favour Dakine shorts. come in a variety of lengths and ‘weights’, well made (my 8 tracks are pretty much indestructible but quite thick, but the thinner types I’ve got last equally well), mid range price and have a nice selection of more muted colours normally (you don’t look like you’ve mugged a clown wearing them

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Decathlon, I’ve got a mountain of torn Altura’s and Endura’s and one pair of decathlon shorts that just won’t die. I’m actually going to have to replace them as I’ve lost weight since buying them, not had that with Altura’s!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Need to give the Decathlon ones a go, love their running and hiking kit. I’ve had a couple of pairs of Madison addict shorts for nigh on 5 years now, they are still in great nick, dunno if the current offerings are as good.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got the ST500, they do a 900 version too which has zipper pockets.

My only gripe is, I like the OS map sized rear pockets in Endura shorts!

Murray

Gore – I’ve got 2 pairs that I alternate that are now almost grey from washing but show no signs of giving up. The youngest is at least 5 years old.

The Endura’s lasted 9 months.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll have a look next time I’m in Decathlon TINAS, sound good. I really like the phone pocket on all my madisons, sits in a great place, at an angle half way down the thigh, to the rear. You don’t feel it, and it seems to be an area that’s out the way in a tumble too.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve got three pairs of Dakine 8 tracks, the liner on the first pair has holes in it but I always wear padded shorts underneath so that doesn’t matter.  I’d buy another pair but on current wear rates there’s no rush.  I have been wearing some Singletrack ll shorts but the arse stitching wore through yesterday, probably won’t bother fixing them.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Cheers guys the decathlon ones sound promising! My older enduras were ace, I have an 8 year old pair that my mum stitched a sock into the ass after a rip and they’re actually fine 😀 but the material on the new ones is so thin they’re hard to fix. Will send Santa a few of your recommendations, ta again.

oikeith

I’ve had two pairs of Pearl Izumi Summit shorts for nearly 3 years now and they have been fine, I retreat the DWR in the winter but that’s it. Pockets in good places, comfortable, a fitted as opposed to baggy fit and stretchy so dont restrict movement.

calv145
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of FWE mtb shorts for over a year now and they are still perfect.  I only brought them as I found them really cheap in Evans so I thought I’d give them a try but I would have another pair now.

aidso
    Free Member

I wear a pair of Tresspass shorts I bought for “walking” and they’ve been going strong for 4 years. No inner liner, but sure you can wear a pair of bib-shorts under them. Probably cost £20 in comparison to my Humvees that always pop open and are twice the weight!

BillOddie

Second Dakine 8 Track.

gnusmas

Race face ambush shorts here. Got 2 pairs on sale about 5 years ago, wore them the most out of my selection of shorts. I wear shorts daily for normal use and these are by far the best I’ve had.

benpinnick

RF Ambush for indestructible for sure. Nice fit, and really, really tough. But this time of year my favourite is another RF short, the Agent. Best winter shorts ever (probably, according to me).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of unworn Singletrack 2’s (the really good ones that last forever).  Unworn, black. Medium.

For sale if anyone wants them.  (i’ve got few other pairs that are going to last me a few years yet.)

colournoise

They don’t have to be mountain bike specific… The folks on the Path Podcast recommended Dickies work shorts but they seem to be more of a US brand and there’s quite a few models to choose from.

Redhawk or New York. Pretty cheap on Amazon etc. Not tried them for riding in, but they’re my go to ‘everyday’ shorts.

twistedpencil

Troy Lee Motos have been great over the years. Now have three pairs, first pair are used daily for commuting now and are still as good as new apart from some fraying. They are a bit heavy for year round use but won’t look elsewhere now.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

These:

https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/AM-500-Repel-Mountain-Biking-Short-p/pol01-5333-p.htm

My first pair (I now have 4) are just reaching their 4th anniversary and still going strong. Until I found these I’d been a serial destroyer of shorts.

Northwind

Altura Attacks for winter and Mayhems for summer. Both fit me nicely, cost a sensible amount and have proved ridiculously longlived- like, I got a set of Mayhems with an MBR subscription in 2010 and they lasted me til this year, when I ripped a pocket out of them in a crash. They’re still totally usable except for that one pocket.

And the Attacks, likewise, just keep going- I wash them normally in the machine, wear them constantly all winter, they do get less effective but not for a long long time. Many times these have saved me from trenchcock in winter rides.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Shorts; what is good value and actually lasts?’ is closed to new replies.