• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nibby.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Shorts, Haglofs vs Sweet Protection vs Gore vs ?
  • rickmeister

Seeing as my last pair of Gore shorts are now so thin that a new pair will be needed soon after years of service….

Despite the high price as I only buy these every so many years when they are basically dead and I think you get what you pay for here… any opinions on Haglofs Ardent, Sweet Protection Hunter or Gore ?

Fit, comfort etc etc..

Or other options to consider ..

cinnamon_girl

Check out tgstore’s outlet for reduced Gore and Haglofs.

http://www.tgstore.eu

kcal

I never got on, fit wise, with my Endura MT500 Spray shorts – Small too tight, Medium too generous.

Currently loving the relatively inexpensive Madison shorts, sorry to throw one at you but they are nice comfortable shorts..

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Currently using some Madisons. Working well.

GregMay
    Free Member

Hagloffs ones are unbelievable. Worth the price if you can pay for them.

BadlyWiredDog

I haven’t used the Haglöfs Ardent, but I thought the Grit – which I got at a seriously discounted price – were massively over-priced at RRP, though okay.

If you want to spend mega-money, the Norrona Fjora shorts are brilliant, but insanely expensive at full whack.

I like the Mavic Stratos, though the fabric isn’t super-thick so long-term durability may not be great. Everything I’ve bought from Endura in living memory has either self-destructed or had some irritating, niggling fault.

big_scot_nanny

I bought a pair of the Norrona shorts from last year. Absolutely brilliant, fit, feel, comfort, still looking like new etc etc.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

+1 for the mavic shorts I think they are an excellent spring / summer short, really comfortable and work well with knee pads
    Richard

cinnamon_girl

Haglofs are £80, reduced from £100. Not actually in Outlet/Clearance section of tgstore.

tang
    Free Member

You want to spend, check out Kitsbow.

rickmeister

Thanks CG & folks… forgot the Mavic option.. seen the Madison review but they have poppers on teh waistband.. do these work as well as a button or hook & eye ?

Re cost.. £100 is teh pain barrier, I dont want shorts made from unobtainium that cost for cost sake, just good solid long lasting kit and these come up as good stuff…

jim
    Free Member

Mavic Stratos are really good. Had a pair for 4 years, a fair few crashes and they’re holding up pretty perfectly so far.

nibby
    Free Member

Those Norrona look good, cant find anyone in the UK who stock’s them though?

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Mavic popper looks pants but works well.

BadlyWiredDog

Snow and Rock were selling them end of line recently, you can also find them on amazon.co.uk and Norrona also sells direct from its website I think.

Norrona is kind of the Norwegian equivalent of Arc’teryx or an outdoors Assos or Rapha maybe. Expensive but good fabrics and very well designed, cut and made.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the others, but I’ve got two pairs of the Sweet Protection Hunter Enduro shorts and they’re the comfiest ones I’ve ever owned. Really soft, comfortable and stretchy fabric that has also stood up to crashes impressively well.

nibby
    Free Member

Snow and Rock were selling them end of line recently, you can also find them on amazon.co.uk and Norrona also sells direct from its website I think.

Norrona is kind of the Norwegian equivalent of Arc’teryx or an outdoors Assos or Rapha maybe. Expensive but good fabrics and very well designed, cut and made.

Cheers, what is the sizing like? do they come up small or same as others?

Looks like going direct to Norrona is the best option, free delivery but need to get sizing right as it’s expensive to send back.

I’m normally a 30 to 32 waist in most thing’s and it says on the website this is a small

BadlyWiredDog

I’m normally a 30 to 32 waist in most thing’s and it says on the website this is a small

I normally wear a 32″ waist and took a gamble on the small on the basis that it was correct on the sizing chart. They did fit, but were a little tight around the hips/butt to the point where I sent them back to Snow and Rock. I reckon if you’re at the slim end of that spectrum they’ll fit, if you’re slightly chunkier with an, erm, manly backside, you may be better off with a medium if that makes sense. 🙂

Edit: it might be worth keeping an eye on eBay – Snow and Rock were selling them for £90 and I suspect the pair (S) I sent back a week or so ago might end up there again.

vinnyeh

I have a couple of pairs of Stratos shorts, love the cut, weight and fabric, but buttons now replace poppers, the fabric is really too light IMO for poppers. I sent the first pair I bought back after one ripped out,when the replacements did the same someone suggested changing to buttons.

Changing in a public area requires a thick skin if you use the stratos undershort.

nibby
    Free Member

I normally wear a 32″ waist and took a gamble on the small on the basis that it was correct on the sizing chart. They did fit, but were a little tight around the hips/butt to the point where I sent them back to Snow and Rock. I reckon if you’re at the slim end of that spectrum they’ll fit, if you’re slightly chunkier with an, erm, manly backside, you may be better off with a medium if that makes sense.

Edit: it might be worth keeping an eye on eBay – Snow and Rock were selling them for £90 and I suspect the pair (S) I sent back a week or so ago might end up there again.

will keep an eye out.
    Based on the above I’m going for a medium 🙂
    great help, thank you.

cinnamon_girl

Check out Ellis Brigham for Norrona. 🙂

nibby
    Free Member

This Norrona stuff is like RHS to find in the UK. The website says they have load’s of UK stockists but cant find any that sell the MB range.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Shorts, Haglofs vs Sweet Protection vs Gore vs ?’ is closed to new replies.