Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Short shock a Banshee Spitfire
  • pembo6
    Free Member

Has anyone put a shorter shock on a Banshee Spitfire v2 (or any other version)? Now that I’ve got myself a larger enduro rig, I was thinking of putting on a 200×50 shock to replace the stock 200×57 on my 2018 V2 Spitfire.

If my maths is correct, that should reduce the travel from 140mm to 123mm. With a 130mm 29er fork/wheel on the front (instead of the stock 150mm 27.5). I’m hoping to make it more of a shortish travel trail bike (dare I say “Down Country” 😬).

I’m sure Builttoride would suggest I just buy a Banshee Phantom 😆👍 and be done with it…….but that’s out of the question at the moment.

5lab

if its shorter front and back, wouldn’t you achieve much of the same result (other than 20mm of bb drop, which might or might not be good) just pumping the existing shocks up a bit more

riklegge

While I’m completely into the idea of experimenting, it might be worth bearing in mind that even if the a2c measurement of the forks are the same, the larger wheel diameter will raise the front a bit more. Maybe this can be counteracted with the various geo chips, but worth considering anyway.

igm

if its shorter front and back, wouldn’t you achieve much of the same result (other than 20mm of bb drop, which might or might not be good) just pumping the existing shocks up a bit more

I think with those choices it won’t even drop the BB – given there’ll be a smidgen less sag on a 200 eye to eye shock i think it might even raise it.

Try running more air (less sag) first – though note that some shocks and forks only feel right it the sag is in the right place.

Then volume spacers maybe – same sagged position but more ramp up and less travel?

honourablegeorge

Not sure what benefit the short shock is giving you there – it reduces travel, sure, but geometry remains the same, and the bike is the same weight. You’d probably achieve something similar just by stuffing your existing shock with volume spacers so that it ramps up quickly, as opposed to bottoming out the shorter shock sooner

pembo6
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, iv,e been testing with more pressure and reduced sag on the stock shock. I quite like the feel. Less capable but more poppy and fun. I think the smaller size of the shorter shock will ramp up even faster.
    It’s really just an experiment for a bit of fun. I’ve already got the shock lying around.

The geo won’t change much at all. Same eye to eye shock.

I should have mentioned initially, I’ve been running it as a mullet for a year with a 140mm fork so I’m familiar with the sort of geo and handling fun hznges the 29er gives.

I’ll also be running lighter wheels and tyres so there will be weight savings there. And changed from a Pike to a Fox 34 so another small weight saving there.

frogstomp

Be aware that some shocks with the same e2e but different stroke lengths actually just have a travel limiting bumper / spacer in them, so you are effectively just running higher pressure / less sag.

chiefgrooveguru

Speaking as a former Spitfire owner and suspension geek, I think this is a great idea! You might also want to use an offset bushing or two to compensate for the reduced sag. I always ran a 160mm fork on my Spitfire (apart from a brief moment at 150 which I didn’t like as much) so with a 130 fork and 29” wheel you’ll get similar angles.

pembo6
    Free Member

Be aware that some shocks with the same e2e but different stroke lengths actually just have a travel limiting bumper / spacer in them, so you are effectively just running higher pressure / less sag.

Yeah, I think you’re right. Will see how it performs. My shorter stroke shock is onw of the lower air volume monarchs. The current shock is a DPX2 with EVOL can. So regardless, the shorter shock will have less air volume and shoudl perform OK in shorter mode. Fingers crossed.

You might also want to use an offset bushing or two to compensate for the reduced sag. I always ran a 160mm fork on my Spitfire (apart from a brief moment at 150 which I didn’t like as much) so with a 130 fork and 29” wheel you’ll get similar angles.

GREAT Idea! I’ve actually got an offset bushing lying around that I think will fit. Yeah, I used to run it with a 160mm 27.5 fork. Been a 140mm 29er for a year now. Really interested in an experiment with the shorter fork and shock stroke.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Short shock a Banshee Spitfire’ is closed to new replies.