Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Short/home training ideas
  • ahsat

Evening all

Trying to keep the fitness going at the moment and its paying off. I’m cycling 2-3 times a week plus swimming and climbing when possible (aim of once a week for each), however around trying to write my PhD getting out for a 1 or 2 hours each day just isn’t always possible. Any suggestions for exercises around the home or for a short time period (say half an hour) to keep the strength/fitness up in between when I can get out?!

Cheers in advance to all the fitness monkeys.

Bear in mind, as a woman, 30 press ups is just not an option!

rOcKeTdOg

stairs, lots of reps, boring but very cardiovascular

ahsat

Good point RocketDog – my housemates really will think I have lost it!

crikey
    Free Member

Depends how serious you are.
    I used to get up at 5, then do a 25 mile loop on the way to work as fast as poss, three or four times a week. Training for racing, it was uncomfy, but not as bad as getting dropped in the first 20 k of a road-race in that Belgium.
    I did it when we had 3 little kids, so time was short and opportunities limited.
    If you have no kids, you’ve no excuse other than idleness…

edit; Housemates? Phd? Get on with it and stop arsing about, full time job, shift work, three kids, how much time do you want?

ahsat

If you have no kids, you’ve no excuse other than idleness…

Blimey…thats told me crikey!
    No, no kids, though writing a thesis is like having one!
    I’m not training for racing, but have been getting up at 6.30 to go for a ride and then going to work to crack on with thesis for 10-14 hours a day! Not exactly lazy, just pushed for time and very tired from work.

ahsat

Crikey, you evendently have not been in the third year of a PhD. Its no walk in the park and I am not an undergrad!
    Sorry, I am not super human like you!

crikey
    Free Member

No, I’m sorry, I’m not having that.
    PHd might be hard work, but it’s nothing like having young kids and a job. You get sleep at night for a start!
    Make as many excuses as you like, it’s there for you to do, so either do it or don’t.

ahsat

I’m not going to argue with you – you have your life and I have mine and I was just looking for some suggestions!

crikey
    Free Member

I’m not being nasty, although I admit it may seem that way, so sorry.
    What I’m trying to get across is that you may think you are pushed for time, you may think it’s really hard work, but really, it isn’t.
    You need to get your act together and decide how much time you are devoting to each activity and then do it.
    You’ve not been writing up for 3 years have you?
    You aren’t spending 10-14 hours every day for 7 days a week are you?
    No?
    Then give over and get on with it!

deft
    Free Member

Burpees are an absolute killer and don’t require any more room than doing press ups

Do 10, 30s rest, 9, 30s rest and so on

njee20
    Free Member

Bloody hell crikey, bit harsh.

If you want bike specific stuff then a turbo trainer would be the best bet. If you want general fitness a Swiss Ball and some free weights will yield some decent results with 30 mins a day.

thomthumb
    Free Member

crikey has pulled the “oh you don’t have kids clause”

parents are so **** self righteous!!

njee20
    Free Member

So has crikey got a PhD? Presumably so, as he knows how difficult they’re not.

PeteT

“You aren’t spending 10-14 hours every day for 7 days a week are you?”

You have no idea……

I did the getting up early and going for a ride thing too, worked for me. Try and set aside some dedicated time for things other than writing up, it’s far too easy to slip into the 24/7 trap. Good luck with the write up ahsat!

zaskar
    Free Member

Weights-keeps your metabolism and core tip-top.

ahsat

Cheers all for the really useful suggestions. Just needed a bit of a shake up in my head I think to come up with something a bit new. Got up at 6.30 to go for a ride this morning and it was absolutely chucking it down, so some of the above suggestions will be really useful for days like today.

I did the getting up early and going for a ride thing too, worked for me. Try and set aside some dedicated time for things other than writing up, it’s far too easy to slip into the 24/7 trap. Good luck with the write up ahsat!

Thanks PeteT – you are totally right and getting out and doing excerise and seeing my mates, bf and family are really important to me and stop me going insane!

juan
    Free Member

however around trying to write my PhD getting out for a 1 or 2 hours each day just isn’t always possible.

I just wish you all the very best with that. I was here not so long ago so I really know how much of stress the 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week produce.
    On the training side just try to ride twice 20 mintue a day even on the road it really does help.

What’s the PhD on?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Get a turbo trainer and follow the Tabata Protocol (Google it) 14 mins per session very well spent, especially if you like feeling sick and you are about to die.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I just submitted, so i know what you mean about hard working. Full time jobs are nothing like the same hassle, realistically full time jobs involve about 5 hours of work a day and at least with kids you have something to take your mind off the work, rather than the ever present PhD.

I found not working at home and riding in to work to write meant i at least got some exercise. Oh, and i went riding even in the rain – if you’ve got limited time, why waste it by missing a ride just because you’ll be uncomfortable for the first 5 minutes until you warm up?

Joe

ahsat

Thanks all for the ideas and support. You have been an inspiration.

What’s the PhD on?

The thesis is about sea level change over the last 900 years in Alaska and the link with changes in glaciers in the region.

I found not working at home and riding in to work to write meant i at least got some exercise.

Yes Joe, thats what I try and do and it seperates home and work so you dont go mad! Good luck with the viva.

antigee

stretching and core

HTTP404
    Free Member

i see crikey’s point.
    however, if you must, i second the turbo trainer and a big fan.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Short/home training ideas’ is closed to new replies.